ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 spat out a Spark Plug :/

Arctic Blue 182
and chewed a HT lead to boot.....

Hey guys

I'm going with the assumption that the plug has worked lose and popped out causing all of this. Before throwing a new plug and HT lead on I'm guessing i should be checking the cylinder for debris? Couple of pics below and any advice what i need to look out for and how to go about it much appreciated.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Surely if there was anything there it would have already done the damage as it wouldn't stall straight away?

Arctic Blue 182
No it didnt stall - limped for about 5 mins doing my best tractor impression (both speed and noise) to get it home

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So any debris that was in there will have been thrown around the engine already and done damage no? Just drain the oil and screw another spark plug in

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Seen this before on a mates 172.
1, his pulled about 8 threads out of the cylinder head.
2. It happened on track so came straight into the pits.
3. The threads were still attached to the spark plug.
4. We looked down the piston bore and fortunately due to it just being a short trip back into the pit nothing had gone back into cylinder.
5. Helicoiled the cylinder head fitted new plug and it was ok.

Looking briefly at your plug it looks like I can see a bit of cast still on the thread of your plug. About 5-6 threads up. What may have happened could have been similar as in pulled the last few threads out of your head.
1, have you checked to see if all your threads are intact in the head.
2, if it’s pulled then I’d say due to you continued driving for 5 mins the plug would have shed all the bits of pulled threads back down into the cylinder.
3, I’d try and get hold of a boroscope and drop that piston right down and have a look inside.

Arctic Blue 182
Well it`s stripped the threads - cant even get a new plug tight :mad:

Helicoil time for me :cautious:

Last edited:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yep common problem with ali heads, some dickhead previously will have massively over-tightened the spark plugs when installing them and fucked all the threads up.

Whip all the plugs out, see if anymore are damaged.
Then you'll need to think about helicoiling the plug holes or just getting a new cylinder head that isn't already damaged.

Arctic Blue 182
@R3k1355 I will have to hold my hand up to being that dick head - Owned her 11 years and I dont let anyone else touch her :rolleyes:

Are all Helicoil sets similar in quality or is there a recommended brand to go for?

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I've had this happen once before on a 182, didn't cause any damage to the engine at all. But as you say it ran on 3 cylinders and sounded like a tractor. I assumed it was a lead popping off as i'd also had this once before on the same car.

In the end i bought a helicoil type repair kit for a spark plug thread, and a new plug and some heat proof thread lock for the new insert. Took about 10 minutes to sort and the car ran perfectly afterwards.

It's probably done another 20k+ miles since and still running well.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Yep common problem with ali heads, some dickhead previously will have massively over-tightened the spark plugs when installing them and fucked all the threads up.

Whip all the plugs out, see if anymore are damaged.
Then you'll need to think about helicoiling the plug holes or just getting a new cylinder head that isn't already damaged.

Or not tight enough, can happen either way.

Arctic Blue 182
Just looked on eBay, and i think this is the kit i bought. It was at least identical in what was provided anyway:

Cheers man - ordered and will set to once arrived (y)

Thanks for your help all - will post back to say if shes survived or not...

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Cheers man - ordered and will set to once arrived (y)

Thanks for your help all - will post back to say if shes survived or not...

No worries mate. I don't think you need the loctite. But i bought some to be on the safe side to apply to the outside of the thread insert. Think it was rated at 200 degree C from memory.

Just had a thought though, you might want to double check the thread size for the Clio plugs. I think M14 x 1.25 is correct

Arctic Blue 182
Quick update - all seems to be sorted

Bought an expensive kit of amazon and the bloody insert instalation tool was to short. But the kit @Darryl_1983 recommended and it worked fine ?

Not been out for a blast yet but she's is idling fine so ???

As always cheers for the help amigos

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You used a brand new spark plug right?? Cos they're longlife so won't need changing for a number of years (aka till the car belongs to someone else)

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Quick update - all seems to be sorted

Bought an expensive kit of amazon and the bloody insert instalation tool was to short. But the kit @Darryl_1983 recommended and it worked fine ?

Not been out for a blast yet but she's is idling fine so ???

As always cheers for the help amigos

Glad iv found this thread, just had a plug pop out on my 172, checked plug and doesn't seem to have much thread collected on it. Tried fitting a fresh plug and it feels as though it's about to strip whatever threads are left. Il order the same helicoil that you have purchased. My question is, how do you go cleaning out the cylinder of any debris after helicoiling?

Any help appreciated

Looks like plug took a bit of a tap too
IMG_20200821_131412.jpg

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Duct tape some small hose to the nozzle of the hoover, you should get into the cylinder with it and get any swarf out

Thank me later, hose on a hoover has served me well with loads of different s**t
This is exactly what I'm thinking! Thanks for all the tips. Just waiting on the kit to arrive now

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Iv also ordered an inspection camera too so I can check for any leftover debris 👌🏼

Clio sport 172
Sorry for bumping but I'm having the same issue..
Plug number 3 blew out and you can even see on pictures that thread is damaged..

I'm a novice here and not sure what to do, will this fancy thing help? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0086306NO/?tag=cliospnet01-21

how far in does it need inserted?
Also will it be enough to hoover the debris and change the oil after the job, car only did 500 when the plug blew out..

Many thanks to whoever replies

Attachments

• IMG_20220915_211904.jpg
    IMG_20220915_211904.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20220915_211834.jpg
    IMG_20220915_211834.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  Clio sport 172

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Omg thank you! Nice thread that one, I really enjoyed it.
So which set did you use exactly? Just anything with a m12 and m14 in it?
Did you grease before the job, or after to pick up the swarf that remained?
As someone in another post suggested to do it on dry, I've never done anything like it so don't know.
Many thanks
The kit I bought comes with an M12-M14 step tap, there was 1.5 threads left in my head luckily. It just helps to centre and plumb up the thread so you don't cut new ones in on a weird angle. I added fresh grease on each tool with each full turn making sure to back it off every so often

Then I washed it all down with brake clean, dumped a slight amount into the cylinder and then thoroughly hoovered it all out making sure there was nothing else. The grease caught most of the metal swarf, I wouldn't advise doing it dry