ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 slow turnover wont fire

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So I bought another 182 as a little side project but I'm struggling to get it started.
When I got it I took off the inlet and and tightened up all the spark plugs as they weren't nipped up, then got rid of all the carbon canister /acoustic valve crap and plugged all inlets.
Noticed a HT lead was stuck under the inlet when I removed it too and it had crushed it so I rerouted that for now. Going to buy genuine leads when it actually runs. Before the starter motor wasn't spinning the engine or engaging at all.
We tried bumping it once but then it was getting late so didn't bother again. It seemed to nearly fire when we did this.

The starter motor now appears to keep spinning the engine but really slowly. I've shoved a new battery on and it just spins slowly regardless. It will also 'pop' sometimes (after not trying for 5 minutes), kick some smoke out the throttle body and then continue slowly spinning the engine.

All the belts are intact. I've attached a video. Is this likely the starter motor or a deeper issue? Timing slipped etc? It starts clicking towards the end as the battery dies but doesn't fire when fresh.

Can smell it getting fuel so I presume the popping is just unburnt fuel?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
could just be a lazy starter but the tippex sets alarm bells ringing!!!!
Sure does! Belts were apparently done in 2013 on this car so they're due. But suprised for them to have lasted this long if done using tipex! Best way to check? Niall suggested endoscope down the spark plug hole?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Have you checked it's getting a full 12V at the starter?
Have you pulled plugs and checked they are actually sparking?

Chances are the timing is out, but if the belts were last done 5 years ago you kinda assume it's been running since then.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Have you checked it's getting a full 12V at the starter?
Have you pulled plugs and checked they are actually sparking?

Chances are the timing is out, but if the belts were last done 5 years ago you kinda assume it's been running since then.
You'd expect so. I didn't pay loads for the car so if the timing has slipped I'll just sell it on. I was hoping to get it running and cleaned up! No space to swap out an engine unfortunately.

I'll check for spark when i get chance, just pull plug and earth to engine whilst cranking?
Sounds like someone threw it back together knowing full well It was not going to run again anyway.
Aye maybe, odd though.

PH2 172
Aye maybe, odd though.

1) If you take the plugs out, does it turn over any better on the starter?

2) If not earth the engine with a jump lead.

3) If not any better, does it turn over freely by hand with the plugs out? If it does ,starter or battery is dying.

4) Compression check?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
1) If you take the plugs out, does it turn over any better on the starter?

2) If not earth the engine with a jump lead.

3) If not any better, does it turn over freely by hand with the plugs out? If it does ,starter or battery is dying.

4) Compression check?
I will give those a go. Definitely not battery though as I've tried it with a brand new one and made no difference!

Best way to check fuel is simply removing it off the rail and cranking into a bottle?

PH2 172

Attachments

• BENT CONROD.jpg
    BENT CONROD.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Another video. This was with coilpack disconnected but sounded the same with it connected anyway

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Just from the little video it sounds like that should start.
- Check bay fuses
- Check relay fuses - 3 BLACK and swap around = 535-2542
- Check TD Sensor, clean if required.
- Check earths - GEARBOX OK
- Direct 12v to fuel pump
- Check spark on plugs - remove and crank
- check fuel ~ remove from rail and put into bottle
- spray fuel into TB and check if fires up
- charge battery
- check connection on starter - remove after all other checked

List of things to go over. Will be worth checking timing I guess too?

PH2 172
- Check bay fuses
- charge battery

Is the electrical fault light with the squiggle in the centre of the instrument display illuminated?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Have you got breakdown cover?
Yep.

Mick has said he think it's dead with little to no compression. Person I bought it off is still adamant it was running before it was loaded onto the truck. Strange as I even told him I'm not bothered if it wasn't but he continues saying it was

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
What condition is the bonnet in?
Small dent thatd pull out, tiny bit of rust starting on the lip. Front bumper has a small scuff low down that'd most likely machine out and the drivers door has a small scratch otherwise it's mint. Car bodywork is decent just a dent on the passenger door where someone has opened it into a wall or something.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
- Check bay fuses
- charge battery

Check and clean the big white connector underneath the fuse box

PH2 172
Yep.

Mick has said he think it's dead with little to no compression. Person I bought it off is still adamant it was running before it was loaded onto the truck. Strange as I even told him I'm not bothered if it wasn't but he continues saying it was

Have you got the head off yet?

dan's cast offs.
Just butane? Be pretty easy I've just gotta watch the revs? Remember you telling me about doing it before!

let it fill the inlet for a good few seconds before you start it and don't touch the throttle. you might have to adjust the flow of the gas a bit to get it to idle.