ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Shifter Stiff When Warm

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
Just replaced all my engine mounts and polybushed the dogbone. Car is driving really well and shifting is really improved.

Since owning the car though it has developed an issue where pushing it away from the centre point gets a bit stiffer when warm. Not terribly so but just makes shifting feel a little bit vaguer than when cold. It's more prominent pushing the shifter to the nearside/1st and 2nd. Feels completely fine when cold, like when I bought it.

Does anyone know any common culprits for this? Put new fluid in the box when I bought the car. I'm thinking shift linkage bushes, perhaps the one which takes the ball directly attached to the box? Any recommendations appreciated!

Cheers

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
Should add it's only really pushing the shifter sideways. Up/down is completely fine.

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
Had a crawl about under it today. Could hear a bit of a squeak coming from where the shift link connects to the selector so stripped it down and it's pretty dry. With everything disconnected both the shifter and the selector feel pretty free, so hopefully just a case of throwing some grease in there and it'll be good.

New plastic bushing and rubber boot on order from RPD and then reassemble and hopefully it's sorted. (y)

Is the heat shield above the cat still present?
Also if yanoo stiff shift is fitted, could be overtightened/poorly greased.
Anyway when the noise is present, undo the 13mm nut on the end of the linakge (easily done without lifting the car, even if lowered) and place something for the linkage to rest on- then check to see if still present. You will then know if the problem is with the shifter or gb side.

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
Is the heat shield above the cat still present?
Also if yanoo stiff shift is fitted, could be overtightened/poorly greased.
Anyway when the noise is present, undo the 13mm nut on the end of the linakge (easily done without lifting the car, even if lowered) and place something for the linkage to rest on- then check to see if still present. You will then know if the problem is with the shifter or gb side.

Yep, heat shield is still present. No Yanoo kit on it unfortunately, although I did wonder if a yanoo quick shift link would improve the shifter feel at all being all metal rather than coated in soft plastic.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
No, quick shift would not improve the shifter feel, it would only result shorter shift throw. But Stiff Shift 1.0 or 3.0 (fixed or adjustable ball joint housing) would do.

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
Reassembled clean and packed with grease. So far feels much better going into 2nd and 5th.

Also retapped the undertray mounting holes which the previous owner messed up and reinstalled the tray, hopefully keep dirt and water out of the shift linkage. (y)

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
No, quick shift would not improve the shifter feel, it would only result shorter shift throw. But Stiff Shift 1.0 or 3.0 (fixed or adjustable ball joint housing) would do.

Cheers for the reply Yanoo. Could you PM me a price list please?