ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 front pads- cold bite, no track use

Clio Trophy
Contrary to a lot of requests about upgraded brakes, I'm not needing track performance.

My issue is more bite from cold. I have brembo HC discs and brembo pads, they're decent enough but I find it takes a good number of very hard braking runs before they start to properly have some bite about them.

Are there any other pads to try that can improve on this? I'm not wanting to spend a fortune if the replacements will also need as much heat in them before biting nicely.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've had lots of pads. I used them on the road and on track. Used them on a few cars. Be fine.

E36 M3,172 cup
Mintex 1144 work great from cold. Far far better than standard.
Squealed a bit when first fitted but didn't last long

Clio Trophy
Mintex 1144 work great from cold. Far far better than standard.
Squealed a bit when first fitted but didn't last long
Did you fit new discs at the same time? I only had all the brakes done last April so surprised my pads are so low already, would like to think I can get 2 sets of pads to a set of discs for once in my car ownership experience.

Carbone Lorraine RC5+ - grindy and grippy from cold, epic when hot, some decent race car squeal.

Pagid Blue (RS4-2??) - OEM fitment on some cars, I believe?? Not as grindy as CL RC5+ but just as good cold or hot, a touch squeally but not bad.

Hawk HP+ - can be very grindy and grippy from cold, perhaps almost too good, but also great when hot. Squeal seems to depend on fitment.

I'd buy any of the above again.

E36 M3,172 cup
You either have end up with pad wear or disc wear! Stuff like pagid yellows will last 3-4 disc change but the discs don't last long ?

dan's cast offs.
Hawk HP+ - can be very grindy and grippy from cold, perhaps almost too good, but also great when hot. Squeal seems to depend on fitment.

fitted a 4 pot kit that came with hawk pads once, can't remember what ones the were but they were the worst pads i've ever used in my entire life, to say they were dangerous is an understatement!!!!!!!! how anyone could make a pad that was so bad is beyond belief.

E36 M3,172 cup
fitted a 4 pot kit that came with hawk pads once, can't remember what ones the were but they were the worst pads i've ever used in my entire life, to say they were dangerous is an understatement!!!!!!!! how anyone could make a pad that was so bad is beyond belief.

I once fitted OMP pads to my fiat coupe turbo. Frickin dangerous

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Trw stock pads are quite decent with good bite, They outperformed the shitty PBS i replaced them with.

Try deglazing your current set, see if they come back to life

Clio Trophy
Trw stock pads are quite decent with good bite, They outperformed the shitty PBS i replaced them with.

Try deglazing your current set, see if they come back to life
Deglazing?

They work well enough after the aforementioned relatively hard stops to get them warm.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Mintex M1144 I'd say. The calipers and pads on the Clio are small enough to heat up nice and fast.
The pads are cheap as well. I sell them (link below)

They have a range of pads, some of which are only suitable for LMP-style cars, lol - it's when people fit those to road cars 'because racecar' that the trouble starts! :D

I went with the HP+ because the mu/friction rating compared to all their other pads at 'stone cold' was much higher (HP+ being the green line) and who really needs a pad that runs above 800 degrees Fahrenheit on the road?!

I have tried the DTC-30 in a different car and I just don't like it - feels very 'wooden' and has little feel through the pedal/seat, and while it may be more epic when hot, I think it would be poor when cold and you'd struggle to get up to temperature on the road unless you're driving like a tit!

I swapped to the HP+ from the unknown pads that were on when I got the car because first stop of the morning was anything but - several times I sailed past where I was aiming to stop because they just didn't work when cold :eek: so OEM+ retardation when icy cold with the HP+ is just fine by me!

406 V6, Race Buggy
I'd take that friction graph with a big pinch of salt because the ends where they drop off are completely made up. Probably by a marketing guy who just set them to go to zero the minute they didn't have a data point. It's absolutely no use outside of the actual working temperature ranges they've recorded, where it drops off at the start and end are fiction.
Mind, most of those graphs are fiction, it's just that one is a lot worse than most.

Last edited:
I've found genuine Renault pads excellent for road use.

The ds2500 I've got now are pretty crap for everyday. They where bloody awful in the wet when on the motorway the other day.

dan's cast offs.
we got a set of M1177 for my lads twiglet, £30 delivered off ebay ao thought we'd give them a try. initial bite is ok, feel like a good but standard pad, keep the same pressure on and after about half a second they are awesome!! i'd say better than ds1.11 but with the added advantage that you sound like a train when you're braking around town.

I'd take that friction graph with a big pinch of salt because the ends where they drop off are completely made up. Probably by a marketing guy who just set them to go to zero the minute they didn't have a data point. It's absolutely no use outside of the actual working temperature ranges they've recorded, where it drops off at the start and end are fiction.
Mind, most of those graphs are fiction, it's just that one is a lot worse than most.
You may well be correct, lol.

I can testify that the HP+ are awesome when cold, though, if that's any help :p

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
we got a set of M1177 for my lads twiglet, £30 delivered off ebay ao thought we'd give them a try. initial bite is ok, feel like a good but standard pad, keep the same pressure on and after about half a second they are awesome!! i'd say better than ds1.11 but with the added advantage that you sound like a train when you're braking around town.

M1177 are good pads, used them in my Kangoo on track. I found them to be a bit wooden from cold, but once up to temp they are awesome. Found it quite easy to lock the wheels up with no abs when braking hard, and no fade whatsoever on track.

406 V6, Race Buggy
You may well be correct, lol.

I can testify that the HP+ are awesome when cold, though, if that's any help :p

Yeah, it's just the distance you marked there on the graph is nothing like what they are - realistically they probably do something more like this:

Hawk Brake Pad Compounds graph - DTC30 v HPPlus.JPG

But even then you need at least a 3d or 4d graph really for brake compounds - they're pressure and time sensitive as well as temperature.

JayD

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 (ph2)
Mintex M1144 have OEM cold now. You wouldn't know it wasn't a stock pad. Overheat on track though of course.

182 clio
This is tricky when you get multiple contrasting opinions on a brand.
it all depends what you want from the pad..
if road use and some spirited driving is what you're looking for save your money and buy a more OE focussed pad.
As previously stated trw works best for me. No squeal, good from cold, cope well with high heat and most of all don't wear like butter...
pagid Delphi there are many others should do the job you're looking for.
👍
p.s I try to get the most for my money 😂 and for me mintex brembo OE not worth the money imo

Last edited:
  182 clio
I got mines from local Factor.
Cp4l and ecp have a discount codes at the moment have you tried there?
pagid 19 quid from Euro car parts with discount

Last edited: