ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Sump Baffle

TheCAB

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup 172
Hi,

Does anyone have any details of a sump baffle plate for the 172 motor - before I go reinventing the wheel.

I have searched previous posts but unfortunately can't seem to find any details.

Cheers

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Nick at Puremotorsport ran one in his race 172.

He was planning on producing them be decided against it as it was too risky. I haven’t heard of any others for sale either.

TheCAB

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup 172
Just in the process of rebuilding 172 motor ( comp car) which has suffered from oil starvation. Looking to tick oil surge off the list as a possible cause so want to baffle the sump to prevent possible damage in the future. Don’t see anything inherent in the Clio sump design which would make it less susceptible than other engine makes to oil surge issues so see the addition of baffles as a preventative plus.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
If you logged the oil pressure on an f4r, you would genuinely cry once you saw the results. They’re shocking!

I figured it was either:

A. F4R’s are surprisingly resilient to surge/starvation.
B. There isn’t much surge/starvation anyway.

Or, more likely:

C. F4R’s are cheap enough to replace that the internet isn’t full of people moaning about surge/starvation.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I figured it was either:

A. F4R’s are surprisingly resilient to surge/starvation.
B. There isn’t much surge/starvation anyway.

Or, more likely:

C. F4R’s are cheap enough to replace that the internet isn’t full of people moaning about surge/starvation.
I’ve seen datalogs for a f4r producing a whopping 11psi hot oil pressure around the hairpin at Mallory........

The cause? Larger tolerances/clearances and an extremely shite vvt system that haemorrhages oil!

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
I’ve seen datalogs for a f4r producing a whopping 11psi hot oil pressure around the hairpin at Mallory........

The cause? Larger tolerances/clearances and an extremely shite vvt system that haemorrhages oil!

How would you propose fixing it or at least improving it to an acceptable standard

TheCAB

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup 172
Unfortunately it’s a flaw in the design of the cylinder head on the 1*2 mate. You can improve the situation by fitting a restrictor in the cylinder head oilway though. We also modified the oil pumps to improve their pumping efficiency as well.

Any details on the oilway restrictor in the head? Cheers

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You want a 5-6mm oil restrictor in the drilling at the bottom of the head where the block feeds it.
Also, remove the vvt solenoid and make up an identical oversize copy of the solenoid. Heat the head up and send it in the hole. It needs to be oversize so the head grips it once it cools down. This will reduce the amount of oil lost at the solenoid drilling.

TheCAB

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup 172
You want a 5-6mm oil restrictor in the drilling at the bottom of the head where the block feeds it.
Also, remove the vvt solenoid and make up an identical oversize copy of the solenoid. Heat the head up and send it in the hole. It needs to be oversize so the head grips it once it cools down. This will reduce the amount of oil lost at the solenoid drilling.
Thanks for the info. I will investigate and carry out the mods you suggest. Hope you don’t mind if I get back to you if I need a bit of further guidance when undertaking the mods. Cheers Colin

dan's cast offs.
as mark said the pressure is a bit naff to say the least!! i always mod the oprv when i've got a sump off and check/polish the plunger as well, seen new genuine ones stick and kill an engine. doesn't help the flow of the pump but at least helps things along.

i've got a few spare sumps i'm going to have a play round with pretty soon so will post up when i've sorted something. plenty of people will say you don't need it but if you move an engine round with no head on but oil in the sump still it's surprising how much you hear it slosh around.

TheCAB

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup 172
as mark said the pressure is a bit naff to say the least!! i always mod the oprv when i've got a sump off and check/polish the plunger as well, seen new genuine ones stick and kill an engine. doesn't help the flow of the pump but at least helps things along.

i've got a few spare sumps i'm going to have a play round with pretty soon so will post up when i've sorted something. plenty of people will say you don't need it but if you move an engine round with no head on but oil in the sump still it's surprising how much you hear it slosh around.
Agreed about oil sloshing about and given that hot oil is so “thin” seems to me that baffling the sump is a reasonable modification to make. The engine in question had a new genuine Renault oil pump fitted so a strip and check sounds in order and I will also make the oprv mods as suggested - all helps cheers Colin

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
You mean Gerrards at Mallory? That's supposedly the engine killer although done it several times on full slicks and I'm not exactly a wheelman but there was some sustained lateral g and engines not gone bang. Was same on my old f7 turbo motor, no issues!

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
is something like this possible on VVT engines aswell?