ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Standard vs Cup Seats

172 / 996 / Z3
Afternoon all
Any opinions on the pro's / con's of standard vs. cup seats for a 172.
I'm assuming the cup ones are considerably lighter?
Are they any better for spirited driving?
Less comfortable for longer trips?
I'm just thinking of 'adding lightness' to my standard 172.
Cheers

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Weren't they just finished in a different cloth to standard seats?

Both were manual adjustment with no option for heating so it's not like standard ones are full of heavy electrical bits.

172 Cup
I disagree. Standard Cup seats are dated looking yes, but as far as I'm aware they are the same structure as the 172/182 and are very comfy and supportive for road use.

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Lighter, slightly different side bolsters so they're a bit deeper and a little more suportive than the half leather ones.

I'm with Filters on this, the addition of extra metal bars to the side of the seats in the frame make a world of difference to being "locked" into the car. I picked up the half leather full set for £75 with one cig burn mark on the drivers side - Some of the best money I have spent on the car. I often do 4-5 hour trips with no discomfort.

For more info I left the rails in the clio (as they were not rusty compared to the ones attached) and just replaced the frame. I did have to re-wire the airbags and fiddle with all the trim but otherwise pretty simple swap.