ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K20 powered 172

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Looks great so far! What are you doing about wiring?

Also how heavy are the pure engine and gearbox mounts compared to OEM? I’m assuming they are steel?

Thanks bud! Not to sure on wiring yet. Probably just tidy OE loom as running Gen90.

Yeah they are heavy and made of thick steel. Well worth it, vibrate a lot!

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Few pictures from dropping the engine in today.

2FCCBBE6-30EF-4078-9FE6-50F27CEFB3D0.jpeg
A8141185-7372-48E9-9836-F2E9DD2501F8.jpeg
FDB26A21-C2FA-49E4-84B2-5AAA999889C3.jpeg
1494E18E-2138-4394-99E6-2DFF8331D803.jpeg
6F49B85E-ADE7-409B-B6E5-85C5AF8738FD.jpeg

Started bolting some bits on to make it look like an engine bay too.

9491924C-41A2-4441-9B41-F568FAC18609.jpeg

I need to swap the PMS linkage for the Jenvey linkage, anyone got any ideas how this is done and if it’s easy enough?

I haven’t even looked yet but I’m sure I read on here someone has done it ? just can’t think who lol

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
I've done it.
Its a bit of a f**k about. I'd do it in the warmth of my living room if doing it again, before you fit the bodies to the car.

When you decide what you're doing for wiring, do one for me too ?

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I've done it.
Its a bit of a f**k about. I'd do it in the warmth of my living room if doing it again, before you fit the bodies to the car.

When you decide what you're doing for wiring, do one for me too ?

I’ll take them inside then ??

Haha I’m limited currently as on Gen90 ?
You make me one ?

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Few little bits done.

2B249626-3ED4-4E1B-937C-86A16CF03BED.jpeg

Clutch cable fitted. New rad cap.
Alternator, 12v feed in and mount fitted just needs a belt and tensioning now. Luckily I have a few to choose from ?

8D4C7460-3192-4E89-A19A-8C0E096BC7D1.jpeg

Next on the list is finding somewhere to fit my oil cooler ??‍♂️

438CEDC4-3697-432B-B89B-18F27BEA9546.jpeg

Seems to be an issue everywhere I look currently. Any ideas welcome ? as I’m currently thinking of chopping the front panel like I did on my CUP shell or getting a small cooler.

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Few little bits done.

View attachment 1405382

Clutch cable fitted. New rad cap.
Alternator, 12v feed in and mount fitted just needs a belt and tensioning now. Luckily I have a few to choose from ?

View attachment 1405383

Next on the list is finding somewhere to fit my oil cooler ??‍♂️

View attachment 1405384

Seems to be an issue everywhere I look currently. Any ideas welcome ? as I’m currently thinking of chopping the front panel like I did on my CUP shell or getting a small cooler.
Looking good. The oil cooler is a tricky one. Although I've got the smaller PMS radiator, mine fitted to the side which still gave it good airflow.

DSC_0127.JPG

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Is that belt running just the alternator and water pump? If so what size was it?

Do you have a lower pulley that we can't see ? Because that lower part of the belt looks like its hitting the water pump.

Yeah is just the water pump and alternator using a cup racer style bracket.

Didn’t look like it was hitting the water pump last night but it was late and now you’ve worried me ?

I’ll check tonight and confirm.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I’ve run the belt wrong ??‍♂️

I’ve gone under the water pump assuming that picture is correct ?

Picture above is correct.

I've been running mine like this for over a year and working well. ? I'll check my thread to confirm the belt I'm running.

Clio f1 r27
The belt on chambers_rs engine is a 4pk975. Is there going to be that much difference in length running over rather then over the water pump?

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
The belt on chambers_rs engine is a 4pk975. Is there going to be that much difference in length running over rather then over the water pump?

Not a lot but it will probably be slightly shorter

Will be a a tad probably near the 847 figure quoted above.

Think the water pump would be running backwards the way I had it if my mind is work correctly ?

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Put the coolant hose on the stop any bits getting in them.

6D4CBBB8-E74A-4793-8AE5-36AC2CE5FFC6.jpeg

Should have a new belt to fit tonight and started sliding the manifold together.

Need to look at catch tank and oil cooler setups and still swap over the throttle linkage.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Next on the list was to look at the oil cooler and catch tank.

So decided to get the front end built up, ended up throwing the headlight blanks and bumper on loosely.

C57EE6C2-E843-4C5A-9E69-004F8545004C.jpeg

Needed to see what space I had to work with, which turns out not a lot.

I’d don’t really wanna have to cut the slam panel like I did on the Cup shell. The only place I can see is mounting it on the subframe behind the rad.

Here
7FF84C0D-C61A-4331-93DA-EF95AE6A5B6A.jpeg

Would make a nice easy fix but would mean I’d need to run a fan on the front of the rad.
Anyone see an issue here I’m missing?

I don’t really wanna spend out on an oil/coolant cooler currently.

I’ve managed to get the catch can mounted using rivnuts nicely.

B1DD3B8E-DAB5-4F25-A87D-8658F03259BC.jpeg

I’ve also ordered new engine mount bolts from PMS so can finialise the position, torque up and tighten the exhaust up ?

8709A067-0D2B-48B4-8D86-DBAF93238060.jpeg

I’m enjoying all progress for once even if it is slowly.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good love the red cam cover.

What's the story with the clutch cable, are those adjusters on the cable ?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Blimey this has taken me a while to get through. A few posts back I said I needed to read through the lot... now I have and am up to speed.

I never knew you had even changed shells... ha
Glad you got there in the end with the brake lines, doesn't sound like a good experience though - thats a shame. Sorry I didn't reply about the front brake lines, I must have missed the tag.

Looks like you are a dab hand at getting the engine in and out by yourself. I will have to take some notes, although hopefully I don't need to know yet. Looks like you are getting there now, it will all be worth it. Perhaps we will make it to a couple days at the same time this year.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Blimey this has taken me a while to get through. A few posts back I said I needed to read through the lot... now I have and am up to speed.

I never knew you had even changed shells... ha
Glad you got there in the end with the brake lines, doesn't sound like a good experience though - thats a shame. Sorry I didn't reply about the front brake lines, I must have missed the tag.

Looks like you are a dab hand at getting the engine in and out by yourself. I will have to take some notes, although hopefully I don't need to know yet. Looks like you are getting there now, it will all be worth it. Perhaps we will make it to a couple days at the same time this year.

Haha thanks for spending the time to read it all. It’s not as detailed as most threads but hay.

Yeah changed shell as I was planing a new cage and this Storm shell popped up with all the Fibre glass bits on ?.

Don’t worry about missing the tag you helped me in PMs iirc ?? The hose really annoyed me hence ordering one from HEL and the loose bits missing from eBay to sort it all out.

The PMS engine mounts make it easier to get the engine out ?

Defo be worth organising a track day or 2 ?? I’ll probably look at Mallory park first so I can compare it to last time. The colour contrast of our clios would make for some good photos too ?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Haha thanks for spending the time to read it all. It’s not as detailed as most threads but hay.

Yeah changed shell as I was planing a new cage and this Storm shell popped up with all the Fibre glass bits on ?.

Don’t worry about missing the tag you helped me in PMs iirc ?? The hose really annoyed me hence ordering one from HEL and the loose bits missing from eBay to sort it all out.

The PMS engine mounts make it easier to get the engine out ?

Defo be worth organising a track day or 2 ?? I’ll probably look at Mallory park first so I can compare it to last time. The colour contrast of our clios would make for some good photos too ?

Mallory would be a good shout and isn't that far from where we have moved to either.
Mine still has a fair bit on the snag list so I won't be rushing things but would be keen to get across there.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Mallory would be a good shout and isn't that far from where we have moved to either.
Mine still has a fair bit on the snag list so I won't be rushing things but would be keen to get across there.

If your moving from MK to nearer Mallory you must be moving in my home town direction at a guess?

Mines on a massive snag list? your months in front of mean. Especially as my progress has slowed up ☹️

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Various ways to fit the oil cooler.

1. Fit it on its end and vertical in front of the alternator.
  2. Lay it down flat so it’s face down with the tarmac and duct it accordingly. Look at the setup on an F80 M3 if you’re not sure what I’m on about.
  3. Mount it behind the bumper and make various holes to allow air flow through. (Wouldn’t be my preferred method tbh)
  4. Laminova.

With any of those solutions, except the laminova, getting the air through and out is the most important thing. Stale air will massively reduce effectiveness.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Various ways to fit the oil cooler.

1. Fit it on its end and vertical in front of the alternator.
  2. Lay it down flat so it’s face down with the tarmac and duct it accordingly. Look at the setup on an F80 M3 if you’re not sure what I’m on about.
  3. Mount it behind the bumper and make various holes to allow air flow through. (Wouldn’t be my preferred method tbh)
  4. Laminova.

With any of those solutions, except the laminova, getting the air through and out is the most important thing. Stale air will massively reduce effectiveness.

Cheers, I’ve got a place to mount now but will eventually move to a Laminova cooler I reckon as reading up today seem to be a better way of cooling and controlling the cooling.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
If your moving from MK to nearer Mallory you must be moving in my home town direction at a guess?

Mines on a massive snag list? your months in front of mean. Especially as my progress has slowed up ☹

Not sure I am that much further in front if the ECU is just flat out not working...lol
Near Colshill/Atherstone.

Clio 172 cup
@Chambers_RS Dude i seriously take my hat off to you, I’ve read from 1-23 and what a transformation the car has been through.! Fair play mate.

You have definitely gave me inspiration and ideas about what route i should go with my own project.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Removed the side skirts this morning to start offering up the BYC skirts.

3642AA25-A287-4385-B22E-065ADE260BA7.jpeg
45A1ABB9-237A-48B3-9379-80DF46939DDB.jpeg

Also had a delivery of ITB to head seals and exhaust springs from PMS so I can finish off the manifold and fit ITBs ?

Need to order new subframe to chassis bolts, then fit driveshafts and torque the front suspension up to finish off the front end.