ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Clio into an R5 GTT

R5 GTT
Project 5 GTT - F7p turbo has commenced and hopefully will have the engine in and majority of bits plumbed in and wired up by the end of the weekend, pending delivery of new parts of course.

R5 GTT
Ok wasn't quite to plan as I ended up spending the weekend with the kids and Mrs's but done some bits in the eve

SAM_2149.gif

SAM_2156.gif

SAM_2165.gif

SAM_2169.gif

R5 GTT
Well I am pretty much finished and I can't get the bugger to start :(

I have good spark, I have fuel to rail of 3.2 bar, I have engine cranking on the starter, but i have no fuel entering the clyinders so I am assuming the injectors are not firing :( does anybody know anything about the f7p and how the injectors are activated, do they come alive on a relay?

The last pic of my bay i have taken does not show it complete but you get the idea.
SAM_2195.gif

R5 GTT
Long push to Mallory James

No faith, i'll be there in it:cool:

deja vu :(

should it have a crash switch?

:eek: So true Andy, but hopefully going turbo from the off will make the difference, I managed to sort out a few problems last night, injectors fire as should other than the 2 that are stuck so new set of injectors on way should ahve them by this friday.

Will try to start tonight as have put standard injectors in as I want to make sure it starts and idle's.

R5 GTT
Well should update this there was good news and bad news.

Good news is she started and ran for a few secs the bad news is the engine was not as good as I was told she turned into a smoker straight away comp test showed number 3 was down to 45psi all the other were about 150psi

Engine is now like this

SAM_2205.gif

JE Forged piston
SAM_2216.gif

JE Forged Dished piston for low comp
SAM_2219.gif

Removed number 3 piston and found the top 2 rings stuck in the piston once removed found damage to the ringlands as per below luckily I have a local machine shop whom are look at it and i should be able to fit some standard size rings in it once they have finished sorting it as the JE Rings are thinner than the OE jobs

SAM_2218.gif

R5 GTT
Give it two weeks James before you stick the 5 lump back in after driving it LOL

Yea of no faith, she is fully running properly now. Turned how to be down to injector O ring not sealing against the head properply

spare cam cover sticker put to good use

SAM_2244.gif

R5 GTT
love it mate! i'd love a 5 turbo project, worked on the few of um but never had my own :(

Cheers matey always have loved the 5 GTT and can't see myself being without one had one as my first car when I was 18 and now 31 still got one:cool:

Small update

icon_eek.gif
Don't ground the ECU VSS pin 3, causes smoke and possible fire.

Well car is still running has a couple of niggly bits left to do on it but I am still driving it turned the boost up some more and now running 14psi now going to leave it there so I can monitor the afr's properly but from what I have seen so far they seem ok and crikey the car is fecking rapid wheelspins up very very quick, hit's the 7250 limiter pretty fecking quick from the off, also blowing spark out on hard accelerartion from stand still, so I need to check spark plug gaps sounds awesome but not good.

Engine isn't so tappety anymore, have a little blue smoke which i think is valve stem seals maybe guides but to be honest not bothering me at the mo as it drives fantastic and you don't see it if you go fast enough
icon_biggrin.gif
I will sort them out in the future am loving the conversion, turn the key and starts first time

Things left to do

Replace battery,
Tidy engine bay wires up,
Get 2.5" exhaust clamp as one on now broken,
Sort high idle after 60mph + drive does it with or without boost,
eventually sort valve stem seals / guides.

Megane I 2,0 16v
:rasp: It's a 5 it needs to be fiddled with. Before I commit to another conversion I am waiting for 5teveL on RTOC to finish his into his 5 then I can see his first and see if it's any good.

Some more update pics, decided to ditch the OE GTT seats front and rear got feed up with the bolsters sagging and material ripping, and having to keep replacing the seats. So gone for the Clio 16v Mk1 Dark grey leather seats, with a bit of welding to the tunnel in the car for brackets to support the Clio 16v seat frames I have managed to get them in, couple of pics below (personally I think they look much better and they are som comfy like sitting in a lazy boy chair)

I know the clio Mk1 -Mk3 carpets will fit in the 5 which I am looking into a have been given a Renault 19 black carpet which I am going to test fit to see if it will fit in the 5, as the only downside to keeping the 5 red carpet is the seats for the 5 frames are not used due to the clio frame being alot wider and using different mounting points so I have holes in the carpet now

user34_pic14676_1296292407.gif

user34_pic14672_1296233148.gif
The blue R5GTE has dark carpet isn't it the same on the GTT ??

R5 GTT
The blue R5GTE has dark carpet isn't it the same on the GTT ??

Unfortunatly the R5 GTE was a European model that was never released in the UK, the GTT came with either a grey carpet of the red one or on the Raider models it had black carpet.

hey James, on here 2 :D

i have a black carpet from a TR...

:rasp: it's a small world.

I ended up getting the 19 16v black carpet to fit with a few mods to the rear of the carpet other than that it's in.

R5 GTT
I Suppose I should update this thread in that the Tungy Grey 5 GTT (C12 GTT) is no longer with me, unfortunatly in August 2011 I had a major accident in the wet on a greasy road at speed and a tyre blow out which caused me to roll the car 3 times luckily no other cars or persons were involved just myself and I walked out of the accident with a minor injuries and a couple of breakages nothing serious though.

Anyway long story short I have another 5 this time I went and purchased a magazine featured rwd 5 this one was built by Scoff of EFIpart's. The car was electric blue with a tungy grey bodykit and on clio turbines some of you may have seen it in the feature. Now I have owned the car for a few months now and have done alot of changes to the ole girl, new wheels fitted OZ super LG's, Bodykit was not in the best of condition's paint peeling so I had it all sprayed up in Electric blue to match the entire car to make it more std looking.
I have not driven the car in my ownership at all and the B18ft decided to kill itself on idle (pissed oil out of the exhaust manifold) I then decided not to repair it but pull it out I have a friend breaking his Golf GTI 1.8t 20v and I took the plunge and pretty much purchased it all LOL So the future of this 5 will see a 1.8t 20v lump the lump is an ARY with a Ko3s on it for now this will do I will be running the car on Adaptornic E420c as I have it all ready. The future once up and running may see bigger turbo better exhaust manifold.

I will upload pic's later

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Shame about the crash but thats awesome that you're back in one and especially Scoffs, remember the feature pretty well I think.

Looking forward to pics

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Sorry to hear about the accident mate.

I remember the feature of that 5, 1.7 turbo lump in there at the time iirc? Good luck with the project and keep the updates coming :)

R5 GTT
Cheers Guy's a couple of pic's I managed to get of the mobile, I forgot to say i added a proper fuel cell aswell as it had a metal jerry can as the fuel tank.

Mag feature

URL]

URL]

How it is now and what I have done

URL]

URL]

URL]

The new lump VW 1.8t 20v ARY engine with ko3s

URL]

Megane r26
Sorry to here about the accident shag, main thing is you are ok. Me cousin used to own that rear engined jobby, he bought it as a shell off scoff and had scoof build him the b18ft and from what I remember Haz painted it in its current colour scheme.

R5 GTT
Sorry to here about the accident shag, main thing is you are ok. Me cousin used to own that rear engined jobby, he bought it as a shell off scoff and had scoof build him the b18ft and from what I remember Haz painted it in its current colour scheme.

Hi So your cousin must have been Matt, as you say he had haz spray the car in the blue and tungy colour's I am not sure of Scoff or Haz built the engine up I just no as it wasn't mapped fully it blew an engine. I have just toned the colour scheme down and trying to revive it a bit but giving it the extra bits it needs like the 20v turbo setup.

I am hoping Flan will pop on the boards soon as I want to discuss engine mount's lol

Megane r26
Yeah scoff built the engine for him, well tbh built the car. My cousin swapped it for the Audi tt powered Matt black clio, don't know what happened to it then on because that was over 4 years ago at least!

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
beautiful car mate

Dads got a renault 5 gt turbo for sale if you know of anyone

its a tungstun grey, really tidy inside and engine is running well, its been forged and something or other, Statement made that its running 260Bhp

Not saying thats a fact just what was said when car was purchased

R5 GTT
Crikey been a while since, I have been on here, anyway still not really a clio yet another R5 GTT, they I have done an F7pt conversion currently mapped and sitting @330bhp@18psi :).
Small video (Just to add this was me testing out my new camera and genuinely done with out exceeding any speed limits). Was scared of camera falling off.

Attachments

• 20151213_151425.jpg
    20151213_151425.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 169
  • 20151230_154450.jpg
    20151230_154450.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 168
  • 20151230_154538.jpg
    20151230_154538.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 155
  • FB_IMG_1450651762360.jpg
    FB_IMG_1450651762360.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 20151213_151425.jpg
    20151213_151425.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 155
  • FB_IMG_1450651762360.jpg
    FB_IMG_1450651762360.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 171

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Nice. Someone on cutters has just advertised a white 5GTT in the cars for sale. There's little detail about it in the ad, but it has had the engine taken out for a rebuild that has never happened.

R5 GTT
Have to ask but how do you go about putting that sort of power down? What do you use the car for? Looks like a road car? :confused:

I use the car as a road car but like to use it at Pod. Don't do track days due to how hard it is to get parts for the shell.

The only parts of the car that are standard gtt are the shell suspension, dash. I run 172 rear hubs and fronts, JC5 box with quaiffe (Currently broken so on a diesel box at present). power in the wet and cold is no point even trying just wheelspins. In the better weather and warmer tarmac / asphalt still wheelspins but still manages to push 450bhp+ evo's etc.. out the way with just not so good in the bends