ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 vs modern hot hatches. On track....

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Do you not think though that stripping (an already lightweight) 172 Cup and adding slicks will give you more of an edge than 15% extra power?

Cos if you asked me which to pick (sticky tyres and weight reduction vs 15% more power) I know which I’d pick to win a race!

I would genuinely be surprised if a standard FST couldn’t hold off a standard 172 Cup all things being equal.

Agreed, to a degree. I did qualify my post with the fact those times were around Goodwood which, once you know it, is very much a power circuit. I think that played into the hands of the ST...around somewhere more technical I think the Cup would edge the ST, just.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Granted its a turbo car. But an example of what a bit of weight removal will do.

I was quite shocked at how different it was for a free 'mod'

Gotta love Stav's vids.

I think it's 50% the content and 50% his silly accent.

Just go and have fun, it’s not a race.

Bedford ace for learning, people moan about it being flat and featureless. Often overlooking the corners are all borrowed from other circuits and there is a real mix of fast and slow corners with lots of run off. Enjoy :)

And, also enjoy the fact your car is worth less than the depreciation the others experienced just driving off the forecourt and will be nearly as, if not as, fun.

OCD_Eng

ClioSport Club Member
  2004 Clio 182 FF
To report back, Clio did itself very proud today, except for splitting a cv joint boot. :-(

I'm not going to comment on driver skill here, because thats not fair, but
With the Clio on the toyos, I think with equal driving would it would be only just behind the i30 over the whole lap. fiesta a little behind them. more twisty track and Clio would be quicker.

But as a passenger in the other vehicles,
I was impressed with the fiesta's balance, really fun chassis and the N's no drama grip in the turns, difference in cabin noise between it and Clio is unreal.
The N is quick on the straights but it's not in a different league, his speedo read 120 compared to my 110 before breaking for the chicane on the back straight. I will acknowledge that the N was still pulling where the Clio was running out of go

But we all had fun, and all cars left in one piece (one with a new CV boot) so that is what counts.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
To report back, Clio did itself very proud today, except for splitting a cv joint boot. :-(

I'm not going to comment on driver skill here, because thats not fair, but
With the Clio on the toyos, I think with equal driving would it would be only just behind the i30 over the whole lap. fiesta a little behind them. more twisty track and Clio would be quicker.

But as a passenger in the other vehicles,
I was impressed with the fiesta's balance, really fun chassis and the N's no drama grip in the turns, difference in cabin noise between it and Clio is unreal.
The N is quick on the straights but it's not in a different league, his speedo read 120 compared to my 110 before breaking for the chicane on the back straight. I will acknowledge that the N was still pulling where the Clio was running out of go

But we all had fun, and all cars left in one piece (one with a new CV boot) so that is what counts.

What did I say 😉

You will skin the 500 and the ST and maybe keep up with the i30 if you can pedal well.