ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 8v Phase 1 - speedometer not working?!

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Good Afternoon everyone,
I gave searching a go but didn't seem to come across any articles about the 1.2 just the 172 and 182 so apologies if there is a guide to this and I've missed it!
Anyway, my little rot box has developed a slightly annoying fault of stopping the speedo from working once the engine is semi up to temperature, you get to use it for abit from cold, but that's all. I had my local mechanic tell me it's something built into the box and meant a gearbox rebuild to remedy, however 172 owners can just swap a sensor? I'm a bit confused and hoped someone could point me towards a guide or suggest a part to fix, any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I would hazard a guess its same in your car, just a sensor in the back of the box. just follow the guide to replace for a 172/182 and see if its there

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
As mentioned above, it is most definitely a sensor that goes into the back of the gearbox. Can be swapped out without gearbox removal, part genuine from Renault cost me circa £25 about 7 years ago when I had a 1.2 8V, wouldn't be surprised if its NLA by now...

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Thanks for the replies really appreciate it! Just done a quick search and can't seem to find a guide, might be using the wrong search terms, don't suppose either of you have a link to a guide or a picture of where it sits on the gearbox?
Thanks in advance!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for the replies really appreciate it! Just done a quick search and can't seem to find a guide, might be using the wrong search terms, don't suppose either of you have a link to a guide or a picture of where it sits on the gearbox?
Thanks in advance!
Where in the country are you? I’m sure someone can help out.

It’s genrrally on top of the gearbox, if you can take some pics of your engine bay from a few angles, then we can probably point it out for you.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
If I remember rightly, if you take your hands and aim down the back of the engine/gearbox roughly where they mate, move over a few inches you'll feel the sensor. It's like a smarties tube size thing just poking out the gearbox with a plug on the end. I haven't got any pictures I'm afraid as that car is long gone

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Just remembered the air box is in the way, remove this to get at it!

0ACFEF8F-0FAA-488F-9BF0-39D994446E09.jpeg