ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Your job and insurance.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Not sure if this has been covered but...

I want a v8, so I thought I'd get some quotes.

I'd like to know why altering your job title affects your premium so much.

Copied from TIDL

As an aeronautical engineer is £886
as an engineer is £975
as a fitter is £991
and £991 as an apprentice? Something's wrong here.
tool maker is £1028
as a machinist is £1,029
lol! £1,043 as a machine operator. So the more skilled, the less you pay?

Now I was taken on as a trainee tool designer at my place (tool makers in the aerospace industry), then went onto the shop floor to get some hands on experience to become a better designer. I'm currently a CNC Machinist (nothing impressive, diddy xyzs). And I've decided to do a day release college course to get some paperwork to go with experience, Making me an apprentice.

So I can be a fitter, planner, engineer, apprentice, machinist (they don't have CNC machinist), tool maker etc etc. And all of these give different prices.

why is that? I'm the same person, why does a slight change in my job title affect the premium? Do I become suddenly more unstable on the road from doing job a over job b, c or d? Am I less likely to plow into someone if I'm more vague about my job description? Robbing c**ts.

Any input and has anyone had any funny quotes from a slight change in job title?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Completely off subject but I was pissing about with insurance quotes.... Funeral director came up the cheapest LOL

Funny tho, as my dad is a BAE systems technician. Trained in pritty much everything like you since he started his apprenticeship at the age of 16 ( now 50 )

Him insuring his car as a fitter ( what he now does due to coming upto early retirement ) comes up cheapest as appose to putting himself a machinist ( which he still does abit off )

Dont ask, insurance make what they want

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
It's more reactive through comparison sites though as far as I'm aware, when I spoke to Neil@Greenlight he said the job title specifics didn't make much difference as long as you're not in certain high risk professions.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
sometimes i benefit sometimes i don't.

being a Dr reduces the premium perhaps because we take less risks ie.. if i get caught doing a ton i risk losing my job.
But sometimes it increases premiums, perhaps the risk of crashing is higher because of long hr fatigue

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
sometimes i benefit sometimes i don't.

being a Dr reduces the premium perhaps because we take less risks ie.. if i get caught doing a ton i risk losing my job.
But sometimes it increases premiums, perhaps the risk of crashing is higher because of long hr fatigue

Why do you lose your job if you're caught doing a ton?

Try adding business use, my quote came down £20/about 7%

Ill give that a go, I've always steered clear of that

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
a ton usually leads to a ban.

It has to be declared. you then appear in front of the medical council and explain your actions. Depending on the severity of the offence i could either continue, put under probation with restrictions in place. Its a grey area and completely at the panels discretion.

The medical council take this stuff seriously.

Ford Mustang 5.0
It's more reactive through comparison sites though as far as I'm aware, when I spoke to Neil@Greenlight he said the job title specifics didn't make much difference as long as you're not in certain high risk professions.

Yes mate with us we only have a select number of high risk occupations (footballers, TV stars, Journalists etc) but the rest are all pretty generic. We target vehilce enthusiats and i personally dont see how being a Bricklayer makes you less of a car lover than an accountant :)

2002 clio 1.2dynamic
i work in pubs part time and drive coaches for the other time and parking my car at a pub for a year adds to my premium by about 200quid its redonkulious doesnt help that im a manager and its on blackpool promenade

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
My dad years ago made the mistake of telling his insurance company he competed within motorsport.

Bad move!!!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
I'm 17 and just about to leave sixth form and start an apprenticeship, I found adding business use and telling them id have to drive a fair amount for work, and changing from a student to an apprentice means they're giving me ~£100 cash back when I start work...

I really want an s4 avant.

Tax is about the same as the Clio, I just need to look into consumables, servicing and mpg. The Clio is at 28 so anything around there will be fine lol

You will average 21 in an s4 on reasonable steady runs ,

Our trip to lemans last year averaged 16 but was a little more spirited

Tyres 600 quid set

Service 3 to 350 every 20k

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
You will average 21 in an s4 on reasonable steady runs ,

Our trip to lemans last year averaged 16 but was a little more spirited

Tyres 600 quid set

Service 3 to 350 every 20k

cheers, tax is around £280 isn't it? Pre 06

is that 21mpg all of the cars or are some better? Only asking as the general consensus for 197s is 25mpg whereas I get 28 and some people get 30+

what is that £600 for a set of tyres based on?

cheers, tax is around £280 isn't it? Pre 06

is that 21mpg all of the cars or are some better? Only asking as the general consensus for 197s is 25mpg whereas I get 28 and some people get 30+

what is that £600 for a set of tyres based on?

Based on the best price for a set of extra load contisport 5's

My wife used to do 60 motorway miles a day and averaged 21 , i got in ours the other day and its reading 12 , buts just lately done loads of short town and back runs of 2 to 3 miles

Its a 4.2 v8 , its not going to do 30 , most i have ever managed seriously babying is 26 but that was alot of coasting .

They are all pretty much the same mpg

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Based on the best price for a set of extra load contisport 5's

My wife used to do 60 motorway miles a day and averaged 21 , i got in ours the other day and its reading 12 , buts just lately done loads of short town and back runs of 2 to 3 miles

Its a 4.2 v8 , its not going to do 30 , most i have ever managed seriously babying is 26 but that was alot of coasting .

They are all pretty much the same mpg

what is the drive of them like?

confidence inspiring and well handling with effortless power and noise or dull and numb but fast?

Compared to ? They are fairly heavy , the nose will push on but they have loads of grunt , we have had ours 5 years , and have a cab , which wont be the greatest handling , but then i have a few cars that are all very different in feel

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Compared to ? They are fairly heavy , the nose will push on but they have loads of grunt , we have had ours 5 years , and have a cab , which wont be the greatest handling , but then i have a few cars that are all very different in feel

Sorry, meant to say a Clio. As that's what I'm used to.

I like knowing wing what's happening with the car when pushing on, I don't like the idea of driving enthusiastically with no idea of what's happening with the car (based on a 3.0l a5, very quick but very, very numb)

Its going to feel alot different to a clio granted , longer wheelbase much heavier etc .
This is where it gets a bit of understanding what to expect .
The supersaloons are more like a gt car not meant for super quick direction changes like a hot hatch.
But then a hot hatch like the clio feels unresponsive and numb compared to our previous elise or exige.
Then the elise and exige (both on nitron coilover setups) felt soft and wallowy compared to my carbon/caged 450bhp/ton westfield , and that felt like a tub compared to the formula renault i used to drive , .............. and on and on etc

You get the idea , expect cars to be what theyvare compared to similar cars , iyswim

Clio 200 Cup
If you want to reduce your insurance, I can recommend taking the advanced driving test from the IAM. I did it 3 years ago and paid about £120. This gets you the test and unlimited training from an experienced instructor.

I am now saving £150 this year insuring my Clio 200 fully comp.

As long as you can drive to the conditions, be smooth and anticipate situations, you will pass no problem. Also, its not about driving like a granny and shuffling the wheel at 10 to 2. My instructor was an old guy but he would often tell me to speed up and go for it!

Re: occupations. All about stereotypes, generalisations and historical probability of certain professions making a claim.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Its going to feel alot different to a clio granted , longer wheelbase much heavier etc .
This is where it gets a bit of understanding what to expect .
The supersaloons are more like a gt car not meant for super quick direction changes like a hot hatch.
But then a hot hatch like the clio feels unresponsive and numb compared to our previous elise or exige.
Then the elise and exige (both on nitron coilover setups) felt soft and wallowy compared to my carbon/caged 450bhp/ton westfield , and that felt like a tub compared to the formula renault i used to drive , .............. and on and on etc

You get the idea , expect cars to be what theyvare compared to similar cars , iyswim

All relative then.

But I think you've summed it up brilliantly. A gt car, which I agree they are, isn't what I'm after to replace the clio at the moment sadly.

I don't do a lot of miles and I really enjoy fast, twisty roads. I get little pleasure from going fast in a straight line, granted it'd probably be in great comfort with a brilliant sound track.

Now, how do I convince the gf to chop her car in for one :eek:

Yep realitiy its not a car to do loads of miles in the twisties , nore is an ftype coupe ,an aston or an m5 or 3 .

Loads of miles down twisties go by an elise/vx220/exige , thats your real replacement

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Yep realitiy its not a car to do loads of miles in the twisties , nore is an ftype coupe ,an aston or an m5 or 3 .

Loads of miles down twisties go by an elise/vx220/exige , thats your real replacement

I thought an M3 was a palpable steed for covering back roads in relative comfort? Which is what I want really.

meg 250/265 seems the way to go tbh

I thought an M3 was a palpable steed for covering back roads in relative comfort? Which is what I want really.

meg 250/265 seems the way to go tbh

I have never felt an m3 was a great backroad charger , again its more gt

The meg proberbly hits the spot but an exige would be the best you can get without strapping yourself in a caterfield , thats your ultimate twisties/track car for sensible money

They are s**t for the shopping run and you look like a **** climbing over the cage to get out in sainsburys ...........