ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Young driver insurance

Mk2 Ph2 172
To the young drivers out there...

Who are you guys insured with as my friends son who is 17 nearly 18 wants to buy a little 1.0 corsa as a first car but is unable to get anything under 3k insurance !!!

Any insurance companys to go With that might give him a decent quote or is there a different motor that might give him cheaper insurance for the first year or so ???

Any help !!!

Cheers

Clio 1.2 16V
Im with Eelephant, me as the main driver and I have 3 additional drivers on there which got the quote down quite a bit. Paid 2270 for the 10 month policy, on a Clio 1.2 16V. They were by far the cheapest when I looked, everyone else was quoting 3K+.

MR2 Mk1.5
Iv read from some people they got issued a full 1 years no claims certificate after the 10 months are up? Not sure if this is the case as mine hasn't been a 10 months yet.

The issue arises when insurers check the NCB, which happens often.

Looking....
Adrian flux were good for me when i was younger. That was a few years ago now though. Get quotes from the 3 main comparison web sites to get there best price, then ring Adrian flux and see what they can do.

Black Sheep
I'm not trolling here. But I am always curious. Why not go on a policy as the named driver. Espeacially if there are no modifications to be declared. How is an insurance company supposed to no you were "fronting" if you had to make a claim, but you were a legitamit paying customer. No way would I be paying 3k madness.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
My tip would be to think out of the box when it comes to choosing a first car.

Back when I was looking for my first car (albeit back in 97) it was cheaper for me to insure a 1.6 BMW than it was a 1.1 fiesta.

Look for cars that young drivers don't think they can insure, therefore don't try, also cars that are 'not cool' with young drivers.

Black Sheep
Each case is different but insurers are very good at spotting a fronted policy these days.

So why even do a policy where a younger driver can be covered. Why pay for insurance to drive a car, that technically you shouldn't be driving/ company does not want to pay out in the result of a claim. Doesn't make sense to me.

BMW 535d
Thats a stupid thing to say. When I was 18 I was insured on my Dads brand new Discovery 3. It didnt mean he let me drive it! It was as a just in case and I got to drive it to the local indian with him vigilant in the passenger seat

Black Sheep
I wouldn't say it was stupid. As the policy does not state. The named driver must be accompanied by the policy holding driver at all times.

I was 17 and had a 1.0 ltr 12v Corsa insured in my name on admiral multi car policy fully comp £1000.00

How long ago was that though?!

As said, just add parents as named drivers to the policy to bring price down.
As policy holder he'll earn no claims, meaning his insurance in subsequent years will drop faster (providing nothing untoward happens!)
Admiral/Elephant/Bell group seem to be cheapest for young drivers. As are Aviva.

Multi-car policies are good as well (Admiral/Aviva), will knock more off.

Also research which cars are cheaper. Corsas/Clios are expensive for what they are to insure for young drivers (Unless car is already bought this is!)

Mk2 Ph2 172
Cheers guys for you in put.... I can believe how hard it is to get decent insurance for first time drivers these days... Glad I done all that years ago lol

yeah told him to go out and look at other cars but to be honest it's fallen on deaf ears... Think they are buying a bloody corsa !!!

I think the way forward is multi car policies that seams they only way to get it down to a decent amount

Yea, people don't realise how expensive it is now a days.
My brothers (twins) both passed in September time, and are on a multicar policy with Aviva.
£2300 on a 1.2 16v Clio iirc.

Focus ST-3
back in 2004 when i passed my driving test, i bought a 1.3 1996 fiesta and was getting quotes of £2k, i then did the pass plus test and it knocked off 50%. I'm not sure if it makes that much of a difference these days, but helped me out a lot back then.

Other things which may have been mentioned are, add parents (if a clean record) as named drivers on the policy, try different cars, or try getting a quote with the lads parents insurers (my mums insurers were aviva when i was looking, she rang them and they offered a % discount if i took a policy with them as well)