ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wiring new cigarette lighter?

Renault Clio Mk2
so I've bought a new (universal) 12v socket to fit into my mk2 clio, as mine has broken :( but I'm having a bit of trouble with the wiring?

The original has 3 wires running to it, (brown, blue and yellow/red)
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

where as the new one has a red and black cable? The red having a spade connector on?
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So my question is how the hell do I wire it haha?!

Any help would be massively appreciated :)

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Looks to me like the new one has 2 separate circuits. One for power to the unit (for the cigarette lighter/gps/phone charger), and one for lighting the ring around it.

Test the 3 original wires, I'd guess at you having an earth, a live and a feed from the lighting circuit to light it up when the lights are on. If that's the case then you want the switched live and an earth the back of the unit, then the lighting feed and a spur from the earth to the lighting ring.

That's if you're bothered about it lighting up of course, if not then just work out which wires are the main feed and earth and connect them to the back.

Renault Clio Mk2
Looks to me like the new one has 2 separate circuits. One for power to the unit (for the cigarette lighter/gps/phone charger), and one for lighting the ring around it.

Test the 3 original wires, I'd guess at you having an earth, a live and a feed from the lighting circuit to light it up when the lights are on. If that's the case then you want the switched live and an earth the back of the unit, then the lighting feed and a spur from the earth to the lighting ring.

That's if you're bothered about it lighting up of course, if not then just work out which wires are the main feed and earth and connect them to the back.
i'm guessing the prong in the centre is for main feed and the outer part the earthing point? correct me if im wrong! thanks though:)!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Centre is postive, outside surround is earth.

I'm guessing the wires in the connector are positive, illumination positive, and a shared earth for both. The thickness of the yellow wire suggests it's the earth but the colour coding suggests the blue one. Get a multimeter out and test.

Renault Clio Mk2

I'm guessing the wires in the connector are positive, illumination positive, and a shared earth for both. The thickness of the yellow wire suggests it's the earth but the colour coding suggests the blue one. Get a multimeter out and test.
yeah seeing mixed things about which is live and which is earth! will do!

Renault Clio Mk2

Tested it:
Blue - Lighting Positive
Black&Pink - Earth
Yellow&Red - 12V Power

So its all hooked up, but what about the earth from the new unit? can i strip the black wire and just have it run into a empty connector block? thanks mate

Renault Clio Mk2
Both earths will go to the black and pink then, on the original lighter they're combined.
can i twist the two exposed earth wires together and put them into the same spade connector? sorry im not very electrically minded..

Oh wait, because its a pin thats going to connect to the earth wire, how would i go about getting the other black wire also connected? can i run the black wire into the earth pin on the new lighter, along with the black and pink wire?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
can i twist the two exposed wires together and put them into the same spade connector? sorry im not very electrically minded..

Yes, do exactly this. It's what I was just typing! Just loop it over and connect it with the same spade.

Clio
Sorry to bring up an old thread, any chance you could upload a picture of your wiring now? I've just got one of these sockets and I'm also confused on how to wire it.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Blue wire (lighting positive) to red wire

Yellow/Red (12 volt positive) onto centre connector which is held on with what looks like either an 8 or 10 mm nut

Connect the black/pink original wiring and the black wire from new illumination light together and then onto connector on right of new lighter

Ads