ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windscreen washers not working

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
My windscreen washers arnt spraying anything, the motor is still working, but nothing comes out, ive filled the water to the tob and still nothing.

any advice?

Also is this an mot fail?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Had this exact issue, in fact I sorted it today and fitted a new washer pump £8 off eBay job done :)

Black Gold Trophy
There is a rubber valve that blocks off one of the outlets so that the front windshield and rear window can be washed independently of each other.

This valve swells over time, you just need to take the motor apart, clean it out and trim the valve down with a stanley blade

Clio Team Sport
There is a rubber valve that blocks off one of the outlets so that the front windshield and rear window can be washed independently of each other.

This valve swells over time, you just need to take the motor apart, clean it out and trim the valve down with a stanley blade

I've just bought my 182 a month ago and just realized i have the same issue. Is there a DIY somewhere to retrieve and fix the rubber valve as you mentioned?

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Take the pipe off of the washer pump outlet and operate the wipers. If no washer fluid pumps out then you know it's the washer pump at fault. No point going and buying a brand new pump when you haven't actually found the fault because it could just be a blocked pipe

Black Gold Trophy
^True, and tbh taking the pump out is where the hassle lies!
Splitting it apart is the quick and easy bit if you ask me.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Think I'm just gonna get a new water pump from euro car parts this weekend with it having 25% off. then take it to a garage to get a service, water pump fitted, and MOT done.

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Thread Bump! :)

The windscreen washers on my girlfriend's mk2 non sport aren't working very well.

The rear washer will not work at all, and the fronts work but only very slightly.

She says she has pushed a pin in them to see if they are unblocked however it hasn't made a difference.

I'm going to have another go when I go over later however can someone tell me where the washer pump is? Lol

172 Phase 1
There is a rubber grommet with a plastic mesh filter attached to it that the pump pushes into, remove the grommet from the reservoir and you will notice (more than likely) a big bogey hanging off it.....

Give it a clean and if you can, blast out the reservoir while you are in there to avoid it happening again.

I would also recommend changing the pump while you are in there as they are common to fail and don't cost much.

Thread Bump! :)

The windscreen washers on my girlfriend's mk2 non sport aren't working very well.

The rear washer will not work at all, and the fronts work but only very slightly.

She says she has pushed a pin in them to see if they are unblocked however it hasn't made a difference.

I'm going to have another go when I go over later however can someone tell me where the washer pump is? Lol

The pumps under the passenger scuttle panel. Wipers off, scuttle off, unbolt the bottle and you can get to the pump.

You can see it on the right here:
SAUQcaH.jpg

And here's the pump:
peSiyKg.jpg

I couldn't get the bottle out completely because of the wiper linkages, but it was out enough to change the pump. Just watch as the bottle emptys itself when you take the pump out so make sure your quick! ;)

Hope that helps dude

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
The pumps under the passenger scuttle panel. Wipers off, scuttle off, unbolt the bottle and you can get to the pump.

You can see it on the right here:
SAUQcaH.jpg

And here's the pump:
peSiyKg.jpg

I couldn't get the bottle out completely because of the wiper linkages, but it was out enough to change the pump. Just watch as the bottle emptys itself when you take the pump out so make sure your quick! ;)

Hope that helps dude

Thanks mate thanks awesome. I had a mess around at the weekend and I thought the pump was under there. I got half way through taking everything apart and got stuck at the window wipers, they are extremely rusty around the bolts :S

I've now changed my mind and decided the pump is absolutely fine it's just the washer jets that are extremely blocked. We've ordered some more so I will try replacing them first then go from there :)

Thanks mate thanks awesome. I had a mess around at the weekend and I thought the pump was under there. I got half way through taking everything apart and got stuck at the window wipers, they are extremely rusty around the bolts :S

I've now changed my mind and decided the pump is absolutely fine it's just the washer jets that are extremely blocked. We've ordered some more so I will try replacing them first then go from there :)

no worries dude. I got a ball joint splitter for £10 to get the wipers off dude, can lend you it if you like?

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
no worries dude. I got a ball joint splitter for £10 to get the wipers off dude, can lend you it if you like?

I'll see what happens after replacing the jets first (shouldn't need to remove the wipers for that) and if we're still having issues I might take you up on that - Appreciate it buddy, thanks :)

I'll see what happens after replacing the jets first (shouldn't need to remove the wipers for that) and if we're still having issues I might take you up on that - Appreciate it buddy, thanks :)

Yes mate, jets just pry off the bonnet :)

No worries, hope you get it sorted!

2004 Clio 182 cup

Love this site just done mine. Pump was fine just needed a good clean an trimed the pipes :up::smile:

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
Yet more washer problems...! Washers was not spraying at all so thought it was the pump... I have changed the washer pump as per the guide for a brand new 1. Now the window washers don't work at all but the headlight wash works...? I can't here the pump kicking in, I have checked to make sure the plug and wiring are ok and all seem fine...??? What to check next..? I have changed the fuse in the car,passenger side. Where do I go from here..?
Cheers in advance for any advice...!

Kangoo
Thanks, guys, you've saved my Christmas!
I couldn't get the washer bottle out on my Kangoo (the hearse version of the Clio) but with your filter Clue I was able to scrub the filter clean from inside the bottle. I used a cheap narrow radiator paintbrush (with a long handle bent just below the head), and gave everything a good scratch.
Radiator brush.jpg

Yes, there was a gloopy Bogie on the end of my brush, but obviously there'll be more gunge still lurking inside the bottle, so I'm keeping the brush in the car to repeat the performance as and when at the roadside - taped to my bottle of spare screewnwash. Recent Case Law established that driving a car without working washers is prosecutable - even if the bottle's merely empty.
When the rush is over, I'll siphon the rest of the liquid out the bottle and shove rags down there with a stick to get the worst out. D

This sorted it for me today, both front and back stopped working.

If careful can do it all without taking wipers off, gently bend scuttle up and motor pops out. 10 minute job