ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why does iTunes see an event in iPhoto that does't exist?

Is it just me or is Apple's software becoming worse than Windows?

So may issues recently across all my devices. The latest one being that iTunes insists that there is an event in my iPhoto library that it must sync to my iPad. This event does not exist in iPhoto. Then it came to light that it synced thumbnail quality images which all looked s**t. Fixed that, and the mystery event has returned.

JFC.

Seems to be some kind of Photostream bug.

The event, named only by date, contains photos that were once in Photostream. Nothing changed even if I disable it on all devices.

A bit of further research suggests that this is a known bug in iPhoto. Loads of people finding that iTunes can see old or deleted events. Something to do with iPhoto writing bogus database files. Hopefully soon to be fixed.

Update on this for anyone interested, or more importantly for anyone searching the forums with the same issue. Finally got the bottom of it, after deciding enough is enough with having a less than perfectly organised system.

Right click and show the package contents of the iPhoto library, and open AlbumData.xml in a decent text editor (I use UltraEdit). Search for the name of your iTunes phantom event, and delete all found instances. Consider the entry to be anything between <dict> and </dict> (inclusive).

Restart iTunes and it will no longer see the phantom events that you deleted ages ago but which iPhoto did not delete the entries from the AlbumData file. You shouldn't have to do this manual workaround but works perfectly. Obviously if, like some people, you have dozens and dozens of these ghost events, then the above process could take some time. You'll also need to be very careful. probably not an advised method if you're not comfortable with it. Although everyone should keep their entire library backed up anyway.