ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

White/Blue smoke pouring out of my exhaust!

clio 1.5 dci
Hey,
I have a 51 plate clio dci 1.5 65 and i've had countless problems with it but despite the problems i love it! i've searched through loads of forums and some of the clio drivers have the same problem as i have now but none seem to have fixed it, does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? the smoke tends to pour out in first and second gear and stand still when the car has been running a while. i have also noticed that the engine itself tends to shake the chassis more than it used to. i understand that white/blue smoke indicates there is something wrong with a water/oil leak possibly but cannot see anything visible that doesn't look in place. i have also lowered the car and put a k&n air filter on, could that affect it?

Any replies or advice would be much appreciated!

Lewis

320td Daily XR2t Toy
Blue white smoke is oil being burnt could be number of things. piston rings are dead and oil blowing past easy way to tell is to take the oil filler cap off and see if there is a lot of blow back. Could be dead turbo seal if you have a turbo diesel. Tired valve seals can give smoke but usual not bad. Could have over filled the oil not good! As it would do damage. Could be a damaged breather pushing a lot of oil vapour into the engine.

Start with a compressor tester or taking the oil cap off and see if thereis a lot of blow back rule out worst case the rings.

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
Get yourself over to www.cliodci.net

Does the engine have high mileage? If it does then the first thing to check is the compression on the engine as said. Its possible that the engine is burning a little oil on start up, possibly from worn valve stem seals.
Its also possible that the glow plugs are not working as good as they would from new, so when you crank the engine compression builds in the sump and you have a little oil carried over into the compression camber.
Try adding Redex for Diesel to your fuel to clean up any carbon that may have built up on the injector heads etc.
Keep an eye on the level of the oil, if it starts to go down, then its probably time to consider further investigations.
If not, then don't worry about it as most diesel's are a little dirty on start up.