ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where is the heater blower motor located?

CLIO 172
Hi Guys,

Nearly 3 weeks ago now my rheostat stopped working on my 172 (2002).
Fans were stuck on full speed, but I could change the temperature so it was something I could put up with until I got paid and was able buy a replacement.

Last night i started the car and after 2 minutes of the fans being on the blowers packed up and I got a very nice burnt metal/plastic fragrance.

I am hoping that this is the blower motor due to being contsantly on full power for 3 weeks (I have done nearly 1400miles since it broke).

I have done the linking the 2 pins to make sure it is the rheostat and this worked before, but now I get nothing NO movement in the blowers if I try this. (heat still comes through tho and I can here the blower unit moving when I change to different vents.)

Anyone else had this problem?
Where is the blower motor located? Is it to the left of pollen filter under the scuttle panel? Anyone replaced one of these before?

Any help would me much appreciated - dont want to take it to a stealership if I can swap the parts out myself. Hopefully it isnt something more sinister :dead: .

Cheers

BMW F31
the blower motor is located under the left handle scuttle panel if your standing in front of the car.

takes a little while and a bit of head scratching but you can get it out, iirc just a few screws holding it in and an electrical plug.

BMW M135i
A new blower is £130 plus the £100 for the speed control pack from the stealers. I'd have not used the blower until I could've changed it as its never going to be continuously rated, not at full speed anyway.

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Any reason u didnt just take the fuse out or ask this question when it got stuck so u could disconnect it and save the hassal of a new part??

CLIO 172
I work nights mate and the weathers been s**t, so I was going to work at 2130 = steamy windows, coming home at 0530 steamy windows. I took the fuse out alot during the daytime, but to be honest when it was dark it was getting quite dangerous to be driving on the motorway with all my windows steamed.

Whats this speed controller pack? I assumed that the speed of the fan this was controlled with the resistor/rheostat pack - is this correct?

CLIO 172
Now Im confused.

Every other thread I have read on Cliosport has told me that the box on the right of the picture is the rheostat which controls the fans speed and temp - am I wrong? What is PWM? (did I mention my clio has CC?)

BMW M135i
You can call it a rheostat if you want it doesn't matter, but it isn't a rheostat. Does the same job. The cars with normal heating used a normal rheostat but the CC'd cars use PWM instead, hence why you get 3 speed settings on a normal one and 8 on one with CC.

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation, in this application its just another way of regulating the voltage and therefore the speed of the blower fan.

Bad new they're £100 from renault for a new one, and the fan is more as I posted before.

CLIO 172
Got me panicing them mate.

Just sourced them from JustRenault breakers.

Fan Motor £59.50
PWM (or resistor pack / rheostat ;) ) £47.50

TOTAL £107!!!

Both come with 90 days warranty. SWEET.

Next day delivery free of charge. SWEETER.

Now Ive just got to get that bloody fan motor off.
Looks like a massive ball ache.

Thanks for all your help.

CLIO 172
You certainly cant argue, im thinking it might be too good to be true tho(knowing my luck with this car it probably is).

You know how much a new clutch fitted and new engine and gearbox mounts fitted are likely to cost?

Got the car on 22000 and its now on 87500 in 3 years and its still on the original clutch!! (although 85% of these miles are driven on motorways in 5th gear.)

Still got no problems with it - but the bite is higher up the pedal than when I first got it. NEVER slips tho.

Would like to get all the mounts done just to tighten everything up again. you know any prices?

BMW M135i
Lots, don't bother changing it until it slips. Waste of money otherwise considering what it'll cost.

Mounts wise I don't know, a few hundred including parts i'd have thought. Do everything myself so haven't got a clue on what garages charge.