ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel refurb on old wheels?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ok so I've felt the pain of this previously, when I got some absolutely battered old Evo 5 GSR rims (OZ f1/Enkei) powdercoated and when I got half way to Germany I noticed that they were starting to crack on the spokes! So they were scrap (after paying for refurb & tyre fitting it was a right PITA, plus we spent most of the ring trip looking for some 5 x 114.3 alloys).

Is it pointless then to refurb old rims? Is powdercoating a bad idea?

I've bought some more Evo rims (Evo 6 this time - so the Enkei/Oz Superturismo style) as I prefer the 7.5j to the 8j I already have. They look pretty well used paint wise, but no visible cracks. Is it worth getting them coated/just rattle canning so they don't get blasted by powdercoating/get rid of them?

Track car only by the way so that's why rattle canning is an ok alternative - but they look terrible now paint wise

Strip them back and look for cracks and if OK plasti dip them as its a piece of piss to do and it comes off really easy if you want to do them again or change colour.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Strip them back and look for cracks and if OK plasti dip them as its a piece of piss to do and it comes off really easy if you want to do them again or change colour.
Good call, although I did plasti paint on my existing wheels and they looked tatty after a tyre change.

How would I strip them back? Half the paint is already missing anyway, can see bare alloy on the inner rim

Sand them down yourself or take them to be shot blasted. Hitec coatings in Rainford will do it cheap. Saying that if you've paid for shot blasting and they're ok then you might as well get them powder coated.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Sand them down yourself or take them to be shot blasted. Hitec coatings in Rainford will do it cheap. Saying that if you've paid for shot blasting and they're ok then you might as well get them powder coated.
Was gonna sand em down and blast em with my trusty bbq paint. But sanding is a ballache! Especially on multi spokes.
So its the shot blasting that can potentially kill the strength off? Do some places acid dip or shot blast?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Most powdercoaters usually acid strip and shotblast. That will give you an idea of whats what usually before they coat. Ive had loads of sets of wheels done without issues, some in horrendous condition before refurb, it sounds like you were unlucky to be fair. The only wheels i would probably avoid used are magnesium, they have a short lifespan

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Most powdercoaters usually acid strip and shotblast. That will give you an idea of whats what usually before they coat. Ive had loads of sets of wheels done without issues, some in horrendous condition before refurb, it sounds like you were unlucky to be fair. The only wheels i would probably avoid used are magnesium, they have a short lifespan
Yeah hoping I was just unlucky! Could as the bloke to inspect before coating but he's a right miserable ballbag. He has no time for peoples s**t! Cheap tho

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Yeah hoping I was just unlucky! Could as the bloke to inspect before coating but he's a right miserable ballbag. He has no time for peoples s**t! Cheap tho

Sadly a few places will just powdercoat with any defects present, not bothered if they are receiving your dollar. I heard a tale where a set of astra vxr alloys were in the acid too long and went pourous not good

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy

Sadly a few places will just powdercoat with any defects present, not bothered if they are receiving your dollar. I heard a tale where a set of astra vxr alloys were in the acid too long and went pourous not good
How harsh is this acid?!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I very much doubt that blasting would cause cracking in the wheels. The term 'sandblasting' is a bit generic really, as any good blaster should have access to a range of mediums. I think you were probably just unlucky with the last set.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
How harsh is this acid?!

Its nasty stuff. I think they left the wheels in for a day or two by accident - far too long
I'll get a close up of the rims in question when I get home. Enkeis are usually pretty strong, the oem ep wheels are tough as nails. But they might be oz's with an enkei stamp and ive found oz are made from cheese from experience.

Sounds like I was probs just unlucky tho

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I thought power coating was some sort of electrolysis rather than baking? Sure thats what the dude over the road who does it was telling me

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
The arguments about whether powder coating is safe is as old as the hills. Must be thousands and thousands of cars out there with powder coated wheels that are fine though.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Chances are the wheels were already fooked though.

Usually posh forged wheels or magnesium ones that you need to be careful with.
Yeah they were fairly battered. Same wheels we hit the kerb at nurburgring the year before too. But 3 cracked, not just the two that took the wallop

Last edited:
Worked in the power coating place mentioned above and the process wont weaken alloys of good condition. From what i remember the process consists of shot/sand blasting, acid dipped (if required) degreasing, powder coat and bake.

May have changed a bit over the years but thats how it used to be done when i worked in the industry.