ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What TYRES to have for the track

Bendunn

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy #24 NimbusR27
There rubbish, get to hot and melt there budgets compared to the michelins fitted at factory

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Michelin Pilot sport cups if price isnt a big problem, 888/A048 are almost as good and cheaper, Federal RSR are a good all rounder and even cheaper, although there have been some quality concerns over them as a few reports have seen them falling to bits, most people seem to get on well with them though.

Ive used all of the above on clios, and my preference would be (ignoring cost)
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup
A048
RSR

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
are sport cups available in a size that fits 182's?
their site only shows 18 or 19 's
would love some.....

Yes, I use them in 205/50/15

Fred @ BTM sometimes has used ones for sale I believe from what ive seen him posting on here.
Presumably from his motorsport customers.

He also rates them very highly I believe.

W

WAR 23N

I did notice someone talking about the federal's..... i currently have federals on the rear of mine at the minute (On when i bought the car) i think i'll have a look round 1st...

I just got the impression that Toyo's was the way forward haha!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I did notice someone talking about the federal's..... i currently have federals on the rear of mine at the minute (On when i bought the car) i think i'll have a look round 1st...

I just got the impression that Toyo's was the way forward haha!!

Bear in mind that saying "federal" or "toyo" is like saying "renault" or "ford", ie it could be a base model clio/fiesta or a cosworth or renaultsport.

Same with the tyres, federal do the RSR which are pretty good for a competitive priced tyre but they also do some distinctly average road tyres as well.

Likewise Toyo do the T1R which is pretty average but also do the 888 which is very good and the R1R which is in between.

W

WAR 23N

Right I get you!! Sorry for being abit of a nOOb on this hole tyre thing, just want to get something decent... Last thing I want is to be spinning out haha.

Any recommendation on brakes?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
We all start somewhere mate, and forums like this are here to help :)

My personal preference for brakes on a 172 is the standard setup but running either ds2500 or pagid blue pads (brace yourself, they are dear!) and on a decent quality set of disks, the brembo HC being a very popular choice but new standard renault are good too, just avoid aftermarket rubbish.

W

WAR 23N

DS2500 or Pagid blue pads will fit a 182 aswell im guessing? And how dear are we talking? Lol.....

I was looking at a full set of Brembo's but if I get talked into something else on here then that might be an option! :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
IIRC the pagid blues are about 180 quid.
Dont think there is any difference between 172 and 182 for brake fitment but Ive never had a 182 so I might be wrong.

Audi A5
172 and 182's are the same.

Do what Ive done

Buy

15" wheels
195 50 15 federal rsr tyres

Ds2500 front pads
Brembo Hc front discs
Flush through fresh fluid

Oe rear brakes are fine.

Track 172, Focus RS
Woz im considering carbotech xp8's for my brakes so ill let you know if i get some

W

WAR 23N

172 and 182's are the same.

Do what Ive done

Buy

15" wheels
195 50 15 federal rsr tyres

Ds2500 front pads
Brembo Hc front discs
Flush through fresh fluid

Oe rear brakes are fine.

Sounds like a decent set up.... And Oll, i think i'll see what yours are like aswell. See how you put up with them on the track on the 25th if your still going :)

Track 172, Focus RS
not looking likely now because i can't use my track day voucher with easy track, has to be with club msv. Next one is on the 28th aug and I'm working :banghead: if i sell the evo then ill still book onto the 25th july

W

WAR 23N

Oooooooo Gutted! You should sell that god dammn Evo soon! You had many more interests?

PH1
Federal FZ201's for me have been on par with 888's in the dry but fall a long way back should the weather turn a little damp, neither are what you would call cheap though!

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
I've got some toyo r888 in 195/45/16 mounted on some oz wheels ready to go. In Clio fitment they have only done 2 track days £400 collected. Pm for details

W

WAR 23N

I've got some toyo r888 in 195/45/16 mounted on some oz wheels ready to go. In Clio fitment they have only done 2 track days £400 collected. Pm for details

Is that wheels included or just tyres? what OZ wheels are they?

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Both wheels and tyres, I don't no what model wheels they are just no they are made by oz.

d4b7803e-cae8-fdc8.jpg