ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Void Insurance

Clio 182
"Have you EVER had an insurance policy cancelled or restrictions imposed?"

If there was a time limit it would say "have you had an insurance policy cancelled or restrictions imposed in the last 5 years?"

They don't leave things vague when monies is involved. That means EVER.

Sorry OP :(

Lionel Richie
i know of a claim that was "void" because the car had the wrong tyres fitted, it had the correct tyres, but not with the correct markings (Pirellis for lambos/porsches etc all the same tyre to look at, but they have N0, N1, N2 etc markings which relate to the vehicle manufacturer)

smashed gallardo had porsche Pirellis - insurance said bye bye

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
so you claimed off a third party....and your own insurance was voided??!

something really doesnt add up with this story tbh!!

my mate had a car with an undeclared engine change, exhaust, wheels, brakes, suspension etc
someone crashed into him and it was fine (not that im condoning these actions, just providing an example).
usually your insurance company wont see the car!

and as for the above, thats outragious!! surely 90% of people on the road dont know what tyres theyre rolling on!?

I've heard of insurers not paying out due to wrong spec tire before, too low speed rating and such like, but not Fred's example, that truly is extreme.

MR2 Mk1.5
I've heard of insurers not paying out due to wrong spec tire before, too low speed rating and such like, but not Fred's example, that truly is extreme.

Not meaning to be rude to Fred but I'd take second hard reports from the internet with a pinch of salt.

BMW Z4
I know it sounds like im not telling the whole truth or im missing parts out but im being serious this is the full story.

I was parked in my street…tourist crashes into the side of me and admits fault. I phone insurer and they arrange collection of my car. Take the car away and everything is fine. I get a phonecall saying the garage had said it was modified and this wasnt declaired on my policy. i asked what was modified they said alloys and air filter. The alloys are the standard 15" just powdercoated black "more attractive to thieves" and performance enhancing"

They declined the repair and cancelled my policy there and then i had my car returned still scratched and no front bumper.

I regret even going through the insurance tbh i just wanted my pride and joy back to the way it was and now but if i had waited id have just got it fixed privatley.

I was fully comp at the time but now with the price being so high i can only get TPFT and im now with Quinn.

Is there any way to clear my name?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
How much cheaper is it when You don't tick the box?

Phone the company and explain the circumstances? It is your fault and you can't really clear your name if you are guilty. I'm sure you understand.

BMW Z4
Yes it is my fault but like i said earlier drink drivers and dangerous drivers get cleared within 5 years….someone hits into me and i get punished for the rest of my life its hardly fair.

Ive tried quotes without ticking the box and i get a 3 Series 2.0L BMW sport coupe for around £50 a month TPFT (I will never go fully comp again unless i buy brand new cars)
If i tick the box for the same car i get either unable to quote or they are in the £3000/£4000 mark!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols! You only got it 2 years ago ffs! Hardly the rest of your life.

Tesco car insurance doesn't exist in the entity it did before. Direct Line were very hardline with mods.

BMW Z4
Lols! You only got it 2 years ago ffs! Hardly the rest of your life.

But thats what im saying its only been 2 years just now but how long does it go on for they dont ask how long ago you were declined. So how long do i keep declaring it? ive been on the phone to ombudsmen and no one can really give a definate answer.

Think yourself lucky you didn't crash into someone writing their car off, putting them in hospital and then finding your insurance company wouldn't pay out...

Anyway, as you say that's history. But I don't think insurance companies will see it like that. In their eyes you tried to get cheaper insurance from them by not declaring the true value and risk associated with your car.

Only thing I can think of is you call an insurance company directly and ask them. You should have an answer in 5-10 minutes.

MR2 Mk1.5
The question is usually 'have you ever' rather than 'have you in the last x years'.

It would be to your advantage to use an insurer who have humans you can speak to rather than internet tick boxes.