ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver Advice Please

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep

Due to house commitments my 182 is up for sale (see for sale section) and im looking to buy something cheaper yet still pretty quick.

Ive been looking at a few 1.8 16v for sale on here and really like the look of them.

Only thing im worried about is the reliability/rust etc issue with them - reading the exterior power and mechanical section it seems that a few people have had serious problems with gear boxs, clutches etc

Basically, I just want peoples honest opinions on these cars as id like to get a quick car when I sell mine and still be part of the club.

Cheers!

Reliable? No. Well, they cost a lot to keep running 100% and even then, things will break.. no matter what!

Good when running? No better around for the money.

Thats a Williams anyway - 16v is going to be the same.

Had no major probs with mine and still miss it despite now having a 172. Bought mine on 55K, sold it on 73K and all I replaced was tyres and the rad due to some c0ck sticking a screwdriver in it, buy one thats been looked after and all youll have to replace is general wear and tear items, dont get one thats been 1/4 miled every weekend.

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

Depends how long you plan on keeping it for. Mine was well looked after when I bought it, full service history etc.

I look after it well, change the oil every 6k, check ball joints etc for wear periodically and I have still had to replace most parts, but I have had it nearly five years.

The only rust I have on mine is the rear arches and I think that every 16v and Williams has had/will have that at some point, not really anyway to prevent it. Youll need to have the rust cut out and new metal welded in, etc... Grinding it out and filling wont work, the rust will just be back in no time.

Have a search on the site for guides, there have been various posts.

I do love mine and dont see myself getting rid of it, Ill probably just buy a sensible car that costs nothing to run and keep the 16v as my fun car.

James

Beetle

ive had no problems with mine so far, done 3k since purchased may, only costs have been front pads for m.o.t.

get one thats been well looked after and you wont go far wrong, there not all unreliable some people just end up with a dudd sometimes imo

cant really go wrong for the money........

Clio 182

They wont break down, but they will cost you money in parts.

But they cant be beaten for fun.

I had a mint standard valver which i sold a few months ago, I doubt there are that many decent valvers left (there do seem to be a couple on here which sound good though)
as with any 10yr old car it will need care & attention to keep it in top condition.

Have you considered a 106 gti ?? they handle great & are great fun (my mate used to have one) as they are newer there prob less to go wrong with them.

The Jinx

As everyone has said, get a cared for example and youll be fine. Ive spent about £1500 in 18months on the car and that was essential stuff really.

Its not broken down once. Only thing to actually "fail" so far is the alternator so fitted a new one myself. My advice is to always try and get a slightly higher mileage example (say 100k+) as most of the big jobs such as belts and gearbox will have been done already.

Factor in virtually no depreciation if you pay the right price and costs are cut further. Id say to aim to pay about £1-1.5k and find a really good one.

Mine has been pretty much reliable, though ive done a lot of small jobs on it which didnt really matter, but I just did them because I can lol.

Only major problems have been broken gearboxes, but thats because I drag race it, and thrash the fook out of it in general. Broke the selector forks in mine each time, which is my fault really.

Im just coming up to the big 100,000 and the motor is still pulling strong. Putting a new one in next year though with some nice bits in.

See ya

Matt

Snotter's

my bros which is for sale had the rear arches and bootlid done under warranty for corrosion and its been waxoiled so no rust at all