ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

V6 Accident Follow Up

Got the quote this morning. Total cost for repairs £2066.30 this includes new front bumber, left side arch liner, new front subframe,new trye and bumper liners. Does this seem about right? cant believe i bent the sub frame at such a low speed. Im going to fund the repairs myself as i think it works out cheaper that way in the long run. If i go through my insurance it will cost 500 excess inc a yong drivers fee of 200 and my premium will go up to about 2600 thats about 1600 more than my current insuarnce, and im hopeing it goes down a couple of hundred quid in march when i renew, as ill be 25 with 8 years no claims.

Are these accident repair places good at getting things straight? wont be them same car even if its slightly off.

Also will the accident be reported on a Hpi check, if i pay for it myself?

Ford Fiesta

dont think it will show up on an HPi chekc if you are doing it privately.

Have you a link to the original accident thread?

Yeah I reckon you are better off paying for it yourself, after all what £2k for a Train driver, about 2.5 weeks wages? so better that than having your insurance hiked for the next 2-3 years....

When you having it fixed then Mark?

Simon

Quote: Originally posted by SimonV6 on 26 January 2005

Yeah I reckon you are better off paying for it yourself, after all what £2k for a Train driver, about 2.5 weeks wages? so better that than having your insurance hiked for the next 2-3 years....

When you having it fixed then Mark?

Simon
The overtime ive put in this month will pay for it, there just waiting on the parts from reno, he also said hed have to wait for kwik fit to get a tryre. So hopefully get it back next week.

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 26 January 2005

isnt it sh*t when you have insurance but you dare not use it
yup the insurance is a right con. Ive told the insurance id had an accident just incase i wanted to make a claim. They told me it doesnt matter to them if im paying it myself, and if i did want to make a claim ive got 3 months to tell them.

E91 M Sport

I didnt think that an HPI check would record anything other than a "catagory A/B/C/D", and a £2000 claim is none of those on a £15,000 car.

The estimate you have received sounds about right for the work required, but Im surprised you bent the subframe :eek:

Quote: Originally posted by miketheman2k on 26 January 2005

btw, got any pictures?
nope, you wouldnt be able to see anything from a picture, to the eye it just looks like a car with a flat tyre and a crack in the bymper. Suprised the subfram is bent and not a single mark on the alloy wheel, i thought the wheel would bend first.

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

Thats a down side to an aluminium frame. Boring bit here, its crap when it comes to shear or Axial stresses.

Good in compression, but if its hit off centre your mailto:f@cked">f@cked.

could someone get me the price of the front sub frame? also i was quoted £220 for the replacement tyre, i thought tyres were £165 from reno?

supply your own tyre and get it from mytyres online or somewhere similar. much cheaper than that.

i had two fitted for less than £220!

anyway, that price actually seems quite cheap, would have expected reno to sting you for a subframe.

maybe they are changing the subframe just to be sure?

also, ak for the old parts back, to make sure they do actually change them and not charge for bits they havent changed.

Quote: Originally posted by iwantaV6 on 26 January 2005

supply your own tyre and get it from mytyres online or somewhere similar. much cheaper than that.

i had two fitted for less than £220!

anyway, that price actually seems quite cheap, would have expected reno to sting you for a subframe.

maybe they are changing the subframe just to be sure?

also, ak for the old parts back, to make sure they do actually change them and not charge for bits they havent changed.

mytryes dont sell the tyres for a MK2 V6, i emailed them a month or so ago asking if they could get them and they said no.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Unfortunately your insurance WILL go up, even tho youre not claiming thru them :( You (a) had to tell them as per the ANY accidents in last 3 years bit of policies (and if you hadnt they could have voided your insurance if they found out) and (b) since you "caused" the accident theyll see you as an increased risk! Hence whilst your NCB is intact, reckon youll find theyll still bump things up.

In fact Ive found that following my first ever accident where a 3rd party gave me a small tap from behind on the bumper of my 172, even tho I was in NO WAY responsible, with my current insurer my quote on my V6 has gone up. Ill obviously be on the phone telling them why this isnt reasonable, but I cant use the threat of getting insurance elsewhere since theyre still the best whatever :confused:

Quote: Originally posted by Andy D on 26 January 2005

Unfortunately your insurance WILL go up, even tho youre not claiming thru them :( You (a) had to tell them as per the ANY accidents in last 3 years bit of policies (and if you hadnt they could have voided your insurance if they found out) and (b) since you "caused" the accident theyll see you as an increased risk! Hence whilst your NCB is intact, reckon youll find theyll still bump things up.

In fact Ive found that following my first ever accident where a 3rd party gave me a small tap from behind on the bumper of my 172, even tho I was in NO WAY responsible, with my current insurer my quote on my V6 has gone up. Ill obviously be on the phone telling them why this isnt reasonable, but I cant use the threat of getting insurance elsewhere since theyre still the best whatever :confused:

As i was the only one involved and am paying for the damage myself i do not need to tell them, and had this confirmed when i phoned them.

Quote: Originally posted by TheRoninV6 on 26 January 2005

mytryes dont sell the tyres for a MK2 V6, i emailed them a month or so ago asking if they could get them and they said no.

Yes its strange, they do sell the rear 245x40xZR18s at £168, but not the front ones? 205x40xZR18s

Simon

Strange that you dont need to tell the ins co as in fact the law obliges you to tell them even if they dont ask. Presumably you had to tell them for them to tell you they didnt want to know :).

Graham

Quote: Originally posted by gridgway on 26 January 2005

Strange that you dont need to tell the ins co as in fact the law obliges you to tell them even if they dont ask. Presumably you had to tell them for them to tell you they didnt want to know :).

Graham
WTF

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

You dont need to tell them what they dont need to know / dont want to hear.

If you have points or a claim has gone against you, then tell them, other wise, they have no prove (and as I have found out recently, the Police are not arsed unless you have a signed confession), therefore, you are right.

Hope it gets sorted alright mate.

Still not seen a V6 round this way, all the ones I have seen have been in Sheffield and were ages ago.

Quote: Originally posted by vee6 on 26 January 2005

ok .. humble pie here .front bumper. 4k is obviously high .!! how much were u quoted ??
dont know the exact price mate, ill let you know when i get the bill ;)

oh yeah forgot to mention another thing, if you have to be towed away by the AA the front bumper on the V6 catches on the ramp ;) but should be ok if its reversed on.

just been in to renault and amazingly enough .. the front bumper comes in at 340 quid ...painted !!!.. now thats a real shocker !!

Quote: Originally posted by vee6 on 28 January 2005

just been in to renault and amazingly enough .. the front bumper comes in at 340 quid ...painted !!!.. now thats a real shocker !!
that doesnt sound right?

went in to order the little grille insert for the pod and asked about the front bumper as the one i have needs spraying ( got caught behind a gritter!! eeek) and buy a head gasket set for my megane coup.. 100 quid !!

doesnt sound right to me either going by the pod price , but i aint gonna argue!!

BMW 120i Sport

HPI check only shows up cat a/b/c/d write offs (as mentioned), and not general insurance claims. I checked this out recently because there is a car garage near where i live sells exotic cars at strangely cheap prices - turns out they were write offs but repaired (which an HPI check would reveal and scare you off when buying the car).