ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

URGENT! How to remove the Wishbone balljoint "pin"

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
My wishbone balljoint went today and my wheel "fell off" and f****ed my wing
icon_cry.gif
Iv just gone to remove the balljoint piece to put in the new 1 and iv go the part off the wishbone that is held on with 2 bolts but when i went to remove the piece in the hub (the pin type piece) i cannot get it out! Iv taken bolt and and tried to prise the pin out frm the bottom but just cannot get it out!

Im thinking that i may have to hammer it out from above? which will invovle removing driveshaft etc! Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

Patrick

ITB'd MK1
once it's snapped off you will have to remove the driveshaft and drift it out from above I recon. I've had to use an air-hammer/chisel to remove them in extreme circumstances so if you can't get it out you just need to use more force. A chisel knocked into the split at the back will open up the gap a little to loosen the grip

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
once it's snapped off you will have to remove the driveshaft and drift it out from above I recon. I've had to use an air-hammer/chisel to remove them in extreme circumstances so if you can't get it out you just need to use more force. A chisel knocked into the split at the back will open up the gap a little to loosen the grip

ok mate i might have to take the driveshaft out then, how do i go about putting the new 1 back in then? Will it just pop back in?

ITB'd MK1
the new balljoint should slide in fairly easily once it's lined up. A few blows with a soft faced mallet to tap it in will see you right. you will have to line up the bolt hole with the cut-out to be able to get the bolt back in

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
does the pin have to be a certain way around to get it out or what!?

also does anyone know the driveshaft nut size should i have to remove it?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Ok so when i get this b*****d out, how far in do i need to push the new 1? because as it is the top bit just sticks out fo the new rubber? Do i need to push it up so as that the rubber retracts slightly?

Clio 1.6 16v 2000
bit of elbow grease is all u need. u could always get a ball joint splitter to do the trick?!
ive always used a pry bar to force the ball joint seating apart, then hit the bottom arm towards the back of the car until it starts moving, then start swinging from a ma-hoosive levering bar..... but thats all on pugs in a workshop on a ramp with al the tools available.... so possibly a diff situation???

ITB'd MK1
bit of elbow grease is all u need. u could always get a ball joint splitter to do the trick?!
ive always used a pry bar to force the ball joint seating apart, then hit the bottom arm towards the back of the car until it starts moving, then start swinging from a ma-hoosive levering bar..... but thats all on pugs in a workshop on a ramp with al the tools available.... so possibly a diff situation???

snapped balljoint so a splitter is about as much use a farting ;)