ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrade to Espace (2 Pot) Calipers

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Re: Upgrade to Espace (2 Pot) Calipers -> Wich discs ?

Got a picture of the seal? You can normally nick those of lots of different brakes and they fit. So maybe even take on off your current setup?

Oh and really very nice work with this, is about time someone found a bolt on brake upgrade, the 106 boys etc have been doing it forever and we've been stuck in the dark ages.

Thanks Rob, ill see if i can fix up an other seal but this probably is size restriced. I don't have them near me atm.
I got a request for you, can you remove the "-> Wich Discs ?" part on the topic subject, seems better suited now :approve:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Re: Upgrade to Espace (2 Pot) Calipers -> Wich discs ?

Of course mate.

I think you'll find that little gaitor is interchangeable though, I know it is on the 172 calipers, as I killed one when i had a stick slider, so replaced it with a random one off of a megane at the scrappy.

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Well i probably have some bad news guys, the fedex screwed up the delivery of the pads and discs there still in paris while the were scheduled for delivery today. Officially the day isn't over yet, but it would be pretty amazing if this was delivered here today :mad:.
This means that i can mount the lot no sooner than saturday the 13th :(

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Well allthough the discs/pads are not here yet im still able to give you guys an update on this project.
I mounted the calipers and tested out the fitting with different size wheels.

Allot of the doubters will be convinced with this info :D

Standard/Before :
20121013121933.jpg

20121013121944.jpg

20121013122205.jpg

16" With the "New" Espace Calipers :
20121013123814.jpg

20121013123827.jpg

20121013123838.jpg

20121013123936.jpg

And last but not least -> Yes these will fit with 15" alloys without spacers ! (Realy close though)

15" Standard OZ F1 With the "New" Espace Calipers :

20121013123603.jpg

20121013123611.jpg

Last edited:
Good on you for finding a cheap solution to bigger brakes, but I feel it's a bit of a false economy.

Calipers are cheap.
Brembo disks are £100? So double the price of the standard 1*2 brembo disks.
Aftermarket pads are hard to find and possibly more expensive.

So it seems your paying more money out for really not a lot of benefit other than having a bigger caliper when the standard 1*2 brake system does everything well already. Standard setup against standard setup I just can't see this setup providing that much more stopping power over a standard 1*2 brake system.

Nick

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Good on you for finding a cheap solution to bigger brakes, but I feel it's a bit of a false economy.

Calipers are cheap.
Brembo disks are £100? So double the price of the standard 1*2 brembo disks.
Aftermarket pads are hard to find and possibly more expensive.

So it seems your paying more money out for really not a lot of benefit other than having a bigger caliper when the standard 1*2 brake system does everything well already. Standard setup against standard setup I just can't see this setup providing that much more stopping power over a standard 1*2 brake system.

Nick

Regarding the prices your a bit off the discs can be had for nearly the same price as the normal 1*2.
I already had to replace 1 caliper (bleed niple broke off) and both discs for the mot in 2 months (i only had to buy a extra caliper realy ......).
And again regarding the pads i have explained this a dosen times by now, not everybody needs/want the super trackday pads.
I dont need the super pads for the driving i do, the sunflower only does about 30miles a week this is purely my hobby.
Brembo discs/pads are the perfect combo for the normal driver, and aslong as you don't drive like an ass for more than 20-25min in a row you should be fine regarding the fade (thats where the grooved discs and pads come in).

Last edited:
Regarding the prices your a bit off the discs can be had for nearly the same price as the normal 1*2.
I already had to replace 1 caliper (bleed niple broke off) and both discs for the mot in 2 months (i only had to buy a extra caliper realy ......).
And again regarding the pads i have explained this a dosen times by now, not everybody needs/want the super pads DS2500/DS3000 or only do trackdays with these cars.
Brembo discs/pads are realy realy good aswell some even say this combo is better than brembo/ferrodo etc.

I'm not talking solely about aftermarket with these calipers.

You say you can get disks for these calipers at the same price as the 1*2 Brembo disks, but are they like for like Brembo? As really you can't compare two different types of disk/pad pricewise really, and if you are then you can get even cheaper disks for the 1*2's.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Nice one cheers for posting those pics smokey.
Thats with the standard 280mm discs?
From the looks of it then if you want to keep the standard 15"oz's you wont be able to run a bigger disc?
Any opinions from anyone if this is still worth it on standard 280mm discs?

That picture is with the standard discs and will remain the same spacing between wheel and caliper when 300mm discs are fitted too.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Stays the same spacing with 300mm discs? Cheers Martin, i just woke up and think i was being as bit slow, as they bolt to the standard mounts dont they!

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Nice one cheers for posting those pics smokey.
Thats with the standard 280mm discs?
From the looks of it then if you want to keep the standard 15"oz's you wont be able to run a bigger disc?
Any opinions from anyone if this is still worth it on standard 280mm discs?

Thats with 280mm discs allright.
You should have no problem fitting 300mm discs with 15" alloys.
The discs cannot exeed the width of the calipers so if the calipers fit the discs should fit easily.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Well looking into I managed to find EBC oem pads, greenstuff and redstuff which are fast road.

Also EBC oem discs or dimpled and grooved or just grooved discs.

Couldn't find too much in Mintex but im sure if i look further i will find Mintex 1144 pads.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
Ds2500 & ds300 pads available also brembo high carbon discs too well voted for Clio combo but bigger :approved: All items are on order and calipers being bought next week boom!

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
These are the brembo part numbers so if there is a way of cross refering to get peformance pads and discs

Pads -p68026
Discs - 09989510

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Yep thats correct, the Ferrodo pads are no where near identical to the ones that came out of my calipers (the brembo's are).
See for yourself.

20121013162935.jpg

20121013162908.jpg

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
The pads i just matched to the dimensions. Will confirm on Monday when im in work.

Ok :) That must have been allot of work to figure that out :eek:
Its already hard to figure out wich fits when you use the brand/model of a car due to the different engines etc.
But searching through the thousands of pads by comparing the dimensions .... devotion :clap:

Last edited:
Well looking into I managed to find EBC oem pads, greenstuff and redstuff which are fast road.

Also EBC oem discs or dimpled and grooved or just grooved discs.

Couldn't find too much in Mintex but im sure if i look further i will find Mintex 1144 pads.

Having used EBC's "uprated" discs before, I'd not bother. Brembo & Mintex's OEM gear is far superior.

Cup In bits
Nice one smokey the proof will be when the scenic disks go on and then you will know for sure.

How does the thickness of the scenic disks you plan on fitting compare to disks fitted standard on the espace.

Have you tried checking what other variants the calipers come on, you might find them on a another sport model and more than likely there will be better pads offered which would be a win win ( I realise your not interested in peak performance for yourself)