ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TV without access to an Aerial?

I have a TV in my room, but no access to an aerial, so have been trying to figure out a way of being able to watch stuff, such as Live TV / catchup / Films etc

I don't have much in the way of stored movies etc, so I'm guessing it would have to be streamed over the internet.
Just wondering if anyone knows of something suitable that's on the market to suit this purpose?

Thanks

Has the TV got aa HDMI input or a plugs so it can be used as a PC monitor? if so a cheap PC can be used.

Trouble is we live in a really poor reception area, so those mini aerial's just don't work.

Yea Its a Samsung so has all the ports. HDMI and PC input.
Only thing is not really sure how to watch on PC, other than that Catchup site, and I've used my Laptop a couple of times, just a real bore plugging it in each time, and having to get up and turn it on etc.

I know sony and that do Set top box things that you can stream your movies too and have catch up services, but have no way of watching live TV.

Yea they look kind of good. As said for that kind of thing a PC would do just as good a job.
Or even something like an Xbox 360.
Its just the actual Live TV that's the issue, when I think I'd like that the most.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Newer TVs have a USB port... mine does, .avi's and .mkv's play off that.

Also got a Sony Blu-Ray player, which plays the above through USB too, and has YouTube, iPlayer etc on it. Cheaper option than a new 'smart' TV.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Why not just get a blu-ray player (or a PS3 if you haven't already as it does everything).

£50-100 = DVD, BR, .avi, internet TV.

Job done.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Amplified indoor aerial, they work fine.

Alternatively, run a computer into the tv, use the iphone to control computer as a remote.

If you have none of the above, sorry.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I don't know if it has been mentioned already but we have a free sat box. It's like freeview but instead of an aerial it uses a sky dish. I bought a sky dish cheap, fitted it and ran the cable into my living room. Cost me about £50 IIRC.

I hope this helps

Cheers for all the suggestions.
As said, I live in a poor reception area, so doubt those indoor aerial's will work.
We have trouble sometimes with freeview reception from our roof aerial, let alone a mini one.
Worth a try I guess, but don't really want to waste money on one if it don't work.

Other alternative would be an Xbox 360, with all the media related catch up things being released on that, but still no live.
As said, I don't really have a lot in the way of films/series on a hard drive, so simply a nas player wouldn't be much use.

Looking at the Apple TV thread, I have seen mention of Jailbreaking it and loading XBMC on it, as apparently you can get a catchupTV app on there. Plus the thousands of other streaming apps.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You tried an ariel recently? Lots of updates to freeview recently.

I'll have to see if I can borrow one. Really don't expect it to tbh.
Though been looking in the apple TV thread and that seems just the ticket.

Catchup TV for the live stuff, and on demand content to keep me happy!

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Cheers for all the suggestions.
As said, I live in a poor reception area, so doubt those indoor aerial's will work.
We have trouble sometimes with freeview reception from our roof aerial, let alone a mini one.
Worth a try I guess, but don't really want to waste money on one if it don't work.

Other alternative would be an Xbox 360, with all the media related catch up things being released on that, but still no live.
As said, I don't really have a lot in the way of films/series on a hard drive, so simply a nas player wouldn't be much use.

Looking at the Apple TV thread, I have seen mention of Jailbreaking it and loading XBMC on it, as apparently you can get a catchupTV app on there. Plus the thousands of other streaming apps.

Got 3 Apple TV's in the house and they are awesome when jailbroken with xbmc.
Main issue for you though is that you've mentioned you've got very little media hosted in the house to stream from. This is where the apple comes into its own in our hut. Kids films on a hard disk plugged into the router (along with music, tv shows, photos) and you're up and running on any TV.

The streaming from the net part is still poor, the remote is just not good enough for searching and browsing etc.