ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track car thoughts...

E36 M3. 182
As above, I a currently in posession of a mk2 rsi, slightly damaged that was once my daily driver, but was left sat for a year. It starts and runs fine now, and just needs a windscreen and an mot to get it road legal again.
I am looking into converting this car for track use, Id probably have to spend about £1500-£2000 to get it up to a decent enough standard to take a thrashing on track (brakes, suspension, tyres).
However, I have seen a decent looking renault 5 gt turbo on PH for £2000, apparently a rare mark fish prepped car with a 3 inch strip of rust along the windscreen seal but otherwise sound. This has made me question the financial sense of modifying the car I have, when cars with the work already done are available for decent money. I have no electrical or bodywork skills, but am fairly handy with assembling/ disassembling things (Im an aircraft maintenance technician by trade).
Can anyone with experience of this situation advise me which way would make sense, as I really dont want to spend more than is necessary to get me started on trackdays.

E36 328
Sell the mk2 for a tidy sum, then get something a bit older and quicker and easier and cheaper :D like a valver

E36 M3. 182
Cheers daniel, Think ill see how much I can get for the clio, to offset the cost of buying the new toy. How much do you reckon id get for it if I broke it?? I dont think I could ask any more than £750 for it if I put mot and tax on it!!!

E90
renault 5's are made from balsa wood, and when crashed the turbo has the ability to keep spinning, setiing fire to the spilling petrol and burning one to death LOL Phase 1, like said , Or man up and get RWD

E36 M3. 182
Yeah, Im thinking along the lines of a valver/hybrid (guessing most willys below 2k will be rotten sheds) or a 106/saxo, or 205 or 306(might be a bit pushed to get one for 2k...) The only reason I was looking at 5's on PH was because id just been on winstons thread, I remember seeing that car for sale before he bought it and thinking that it would make a good project!! Shame I didnt have the cash or balls to buy it then!!
Ideally id be looking at someting structurally solid, as I have no welding skills, cage would be a bonus, but engine/drivetrain wise, im not too fussed as I can do most mechanical stuff myself.

E90
Cage a must, If you dont get a cage FFS keep the standard seat belts, Rolled car + Seats and harnesses = Head propping roof up. lol

53 Clio's & counting
It all depends on how often you will go on track, i mean if its a few times a year is it really worth spending all that money? thats what i work work out first, how many track days you can afford to do

Golf GT & A4 Avant
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1098882.htm

Is this the Mark Fish prepped 5 you looked at? Looks almost original CUP spec with a few alterations. If it's been played with by Mark then it is generally gonna be a good one. 5's are an ideal track car, but you've got to remember that if you drive it like a race car you'll have to look after it like one. Even more so with the 5's as they're now getting on for 20years old.

If you're considering a 5, have a look at RTOC.org. I had a 5 for years at a similar engine spec to this one and never had a problem with it in all my years of ownership, just make sure you service and look after it. Go buy it now whilst it's still for sale

E36 M3. 182
Yeah, I know what you mean, Im looking at it as something to do at the weekends, as im getting fed up with pissing £200 up the wall every weekend!!! Id rather spend time under a car than go to a s**t nightclub full of chavs!! Im guessing at an initial outlay of around 1700-2000 for the car, budgeting for a new set of tyres and pads every trackday, id probably be looking to do one a month, maybe more....

E36 M3. 182
but was that 3000 on consumables, or bringing the car up to spec for track work?? There seem to be a few FWD french hatches with most of the work done for around £2000. Leaving me with the cost of maintaining it/ replacing consumables!

E36 M3. 182
No, I wouldnt, But in that sort of price bracket, I cant see much else, E30's seem a touch pricey still with a lot of them having their diffs welded for drifting, jap stuff seems to get chavved up rather than track prep'd. Not had a look at fords yet though.. Mk2 Xr2?? Hmmmm.....

E90
That would be WIN!!!!!! Good look finding one though. My mate races in the scottish XR2's he might know where to get one.

Go e36 if you look at beemers, E30's still seem to make silly money, and theres more different e36 parts and they are usually cheaper.