ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tim's Forged LY R26

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Re: Tim's R26 Banana Boost Bus

Absolutely loving this Tim!

Plans sound fantastic!

Annoyed that I'm not going to see this in Le-Mans though :(

Also, would be interested to see what you think of the engine mounts mate. I've been warned to leave them and get standards, but curiosity is getting the better of me.

Wanted to fit them since buying the car as they transformed my Clio too!

Yes, shame you aren't going to Le Mans as I would have liked to see your Trophy (with it basically being new ;))

I had the mounts on my 172 and loved them as well. Bought all three mounts for £165 a few months ago so should be able to make that back if they aren't as good on the Megane.

Didn't know you were fitting new engine mounts Tim. They will transform the car believe me!

Didn't actually know your car was LY untill now. Always thought is was RS Dirt Grey. Does look fantastic.

Hoping they'll tighten up the front end like they do on the Clio.

I'll have to get you to machine polish it properly soon.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep

It's looking well mate and your plans sound good. What rods and pistons are your going for?

I'll either get Wossner pistons and rods as there only £750 or CP Carillo pistons and Catcam rods for £1200 if it doesn't need a rebore.

Looks great Tim, where did u get the heatshield stuff in the bay from?

My Dad bought it off Ebay a while ago to do the engine bay on the Camaro.

Would love a banana boost bus. Do lots go wrong on them? I've not heard good stuff from some Megane owners.

Not really. Every car has it's problems though but the meganes are generally solid if they are maintained and kept well like any car. Window regulators failing is the most common problem I'd say.

The only problems I've had in 2 1/2 years and 44k miles are:

Window regulators (costs £200 for both sides after Renault contribute 75% :eek:)
Hub bearings (£160 for both sides if you go to markblack on Meganesport)
Coil packs (4 x £40 each)
Injectors (replaced mine with 630cc injectors)

It hasn't really cost that much outside of normal wear and tear. Tyres, brakes and fuel are expensive compared to a Clio but I think it's worth it as it's a perfect daily and much quicker on track than a stripped out 172.

53 Clio's & counting

Looks awesome Tim - really do love your car - I am really warming to the 225's now Claire has one, now I'm getting some miles behind the wheel they are awesome cars

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1

Wow Tim its looking stunning never seen it so clean.

Engine sounds good plan. Its hard balancing time off road when its your daily I share that frustration. I've got the big one with Rentech next week so my budgets gone for while but leastp belts are done.

Wish was going le man with you guys.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep

Good day that. My silver shed was running well :race:

Looking forward to both our cars running properly soon so we can do some trackdays :)

Wow Tim its looking stunning never seen it so clean.

Engine sounds good plan. Its hard balancing time off road when its your daily I share that frustration. I've got the big one with Rentech next week so my budgets gone for while but leastp belts are done.

Wish was going le man with you guys.

It has been known to be clean at meets. Finding it a lot easier to keep on top of now it's got some decent protection.

​Yes, it would be so much easier if I didn't need it for work. You'll have to come to Le Mans next year.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep

I didn't realise you could do that "go to certain time" with a Youtube link. How clever.

If you play the video on YouTube then click Share it gives you the option of starting at a certain time. I couldn't work out how to embed it starting at a certain time though.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep

I managed to pick up a brand new liquid yellow R26r spoiler and fitting kit. It's been professionally painted and looks a very good colour match having offered it up to the car.

I've got a few days off this week so hopefully I'll have it fitted by the weekend :)

Now I need some new wheels but can't decide between another set of anthracite R26 alloys or black R26.r alloys. I'm not sure if black wheels would look as good.

IMG_4592_zps557741a0.jpg

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep

Thanks, I'm pleased with it :)

I was planning on washing it and getting better pics today but it's raining :dapprove:

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Looks great. This deffo still coming to LM?

​We'll see if its quicker around a track than a stripped out Clio after my engine rebuild ;)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

We've not done a trackday together? Plus, mine is eating more oil than a deep fat fryer ;)

Good news on the cambelt, glad it's coming to LM. You guys at Tim's on Sunday?

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep

We've not done a trackday together? Plus, mine is eating more oil than a deep fat fryer ;)

Good news on the cambelt, glad it's coming to LM. You guys at Tim's on Sunday?

Mine is drinking a litre every month or so.

Yes, going to Tim's on Sunday.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

I'll hopefully be able to join you both on track again soon.

I'll be at Tim's Sunday for the tent erection. I had a look inside the same tent at go outdoors it's huge.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep

Some better pics of the R26r spoiler and Ktec 3" exhaust.

Dropping the car off with James and Mike this evening so they can change the cambelt and turbo tomorrow.

IMG_4624_zpsf36ba617.jpg

IMG_4626_zpse5246e9c.jpg

IMG_4628_zps134bd8a9.jpg

IMG_4634_zps865eb362.jpg

IMG_4637_zps12b30c57.jpg

IMG_4639_zps5767ac1e.jpg

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

I really can't decide if I like .R spoilers they look great from the back but I don't know the 3/4 shots make them look weird!

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep

I really can't decide if I like .R spoilers they look great from the back but I don't know the 3/4 shots make them look weird!

I think it's a big improvement on the standard lip spoiler.

Looking great Tim. Think the .R spoilers really suit the back of the Meganes.

Cheers Chris.

Very nice indeed! Keep looking at these on PH..

Buy one! I haven't missed my 172 at all, the R26 is a much better car.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep

My car is almost ready for the trip to Le Mans now thanks to James and Mike at S&MWM. I just need some new tyres and Le Mans stickers now.

They did the cambelt and water pump service, oil change, fixed my oil leak diagnosed as a leaking sump, and swapped the damaged turbo.

Here are pictures of the damage to the turbo, it's a lot worse than when RS Tuning diagnosed the damage last September. Think I've been very lucky that the bits missing from the compressor wheel didn't cause any damage to the engine.

IMG_4652_zpsc48c82d2.jpg

Two big cracks in the exhaust housing as well.

IMG_4653_zpsda19dd00.jpg

But at least the turbine wheel looks ok, the black mark isn't a hole.

IMG_4655_zpse77b05aa.jpg

I went home via Surrey Rolling Road as James recommend checking that the AFR's are safe.

IMG_4642_zpsc82cce2f.jpg

First run was to check the AFR and Charlie said it looked good.

1b43d494-7eb1-4143-b79d-917175c572e8_zps8fecd882.jpg

Then two power runs where it made 264.6bhp and 285lbft.

Here's a comparison between it's first power run (green) when it surprised me it was remapped and now (purple).

ba571b60-1834-4680-a6ca-0bf3759063fd_zps25faca43.jpg

It's making a lot more power at high rpm now and I think the results are good (but not great) considering it's running a base 630cc injector map. Also Paul at RS Tuning doesn't let non-forged engines make more than 300lbft of torque for safety now so it was always going to be a lot more conservative than my original Stage 2 map which made 333lbft.

I'll have to make a trip up to Leeds soon to see what it can really make :)

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep

What caused the damage on the impeller?

The initial damage was to blade you can see with bent corner, probably caused by something being sucked through the turbo. This has unbalanced the wheel wearing out the bearings and allowing it to move causing more damage.

Looks good now. That turbo is really shafted!

Cheers Sam. Yes, I knew it would be bad but not that bad!

Is the Saxo ready yet?

GTD, Lupo

That folded over blade will be the reason it whistled!

How you finding the Werkstat Acrylic? Is this going to be a changed Tim? clean car all the time!