ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing tools question 182.

Those of you who do 1*2 belts with the correct tools, do you still mark the positions on the cams?
Had mine done by someone who said he had them but they're marked still.

Took the mount off because I was questioning if the oil leak was fixed or not.

Thanks in advance
6c8de51c0fcdddb23aadcbfadd70a8eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Should be no need for marking at all. The marks would be pointless as the pulleys are all free floating and have to be loosened to tension the belt properly.

That's probably not been done with the right tools tbh.

Should be no need for marking at all. The marks would be pointless as the pulleys are all free floating and have to be loosened to tension the belt properly.

That's probably not been done with the right tools tbh.
Thanks chris, he came highly spoken of. The oil leak is fixed and it runs fine.
Won't be going back for anything else but a bit annoying considering the high cost and being told he has the correct tools.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
If it doesn't feel down on power you might have got away with it. Even slightly out and you'll lose power.

No reason why you wouldn't mark it for peace of mind, even with the tools - never hurts to have an easy visual check. If it still drives alright then don't worry. :)

dan's cast offs.
renault guide says to mark to check tension after rotation. also makes it a bit easier to find tdc again. wouldn't trust ina kits though, had issue with almost new tensioner and that's put me off them.

Clio 172
Thanks chris, he came highly spoken of. The oil leak is fixed and it runs fine.
Won't be going back for anything else but a bit annoying considering the high cost and being told he has the correct tools.

For anyone who reads in the future and worried about timing marks or tipex marks, the reason they are done is to check tension after the belt has been tensioned but not yet locked to the already timed up engine using the correct timing tools. If after rotating the pulley assembly with the pulleys not locked to the engine, the marks line up, then the tension is set correct and the pulleys are then locked to the engine, which has been timed in advance. It also helps to find TDC again as bloke said. Some people simply give the pulleys a few spins and think "that'll probably do it" and then lock them to the timed engine, which can go out of time once the engine is started so if anything they are a sign of a thorough job :up: