ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing belt question

2004 RB182 Cup
Hi folks, so I've been trying to get the timing belt kit fitted to my 172 cup and i am running into a few difficulties. I can get the cam tool to slide in and out no problem but as soon as I tighten the dephaser pulley it is enough to make the tool at the other end tighten. It is still lined up and the tool will set in but it's not falling in like i have seen in some videos. Even with dephaser torqued,if I put a 18mm socket on the but I can feel the cam turn ever so slightly even with the pulley locking tool fitted. This is what is throwing the whole lot out. I am using all renault timing tools and have done many timing belts over the years. Has anyone any tips. What an awful design.

Thanks
Tom

2004 RB182 Cup
The actual cam moves not the pulley. A friend has two engines and both his inlet cams move when locked. When I say move it is the very slightest of movements. A hairs width if even that!

The actual cam moves not the pulley. A friend has two engines and both his inlet cams move when locked. When I say move it is the very slightest of movements. A hairs width if even that!
Ive noticed this the friction from the bolt when doing it up to 100nm cause the dephaser to move clockwise.

Rusty Cup
Just done mine. I got the exhaust cam set perfectly then with the horse shoe put the timing slightly out but when you tighten it up it settles in the right position. I spent a loooooong time before I got it where I was happy but had fun doing it.