ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The White ph1 172 track car. Epic content!

ph1 172
Liking the updates........

Also liking the way the rear negative camber stands out on the back! The dust where the tyres have rolled:)

Golf GTD Mk7
I'm amazed that works. Thought the jack would dig in and beach itself. As you say though, best of a situation and all that ;)

Trafic 140dci
  Audi A6 & 172 Cup
You can buy the nuts,bolts and retaining clips for the subframe from the dealer.
You could use a normal nut&bolt but having them captive will make life easier in future should it need to come back off.
A few of the dealers I phoned said they weren't available, obviously just had useless parts guys but they are definitely available so if they say otherwise they're not looking in the right section.
I cant remember how much they were but it wasnt bad.

Trafic 140dci
I have one lewis, i couldve brought it with yesterday!
It was after you left this happened :(

You can buy the nuts,bolts and retaining clips for the subframe from the dealer.
You could use a normal nut&bolt but having them captive will make life easier in future should it need to come back off.
A few of the dealers I phoned said they weren't available, obviously just had useless parts guys but they are definitely available so if they say otherwise they're not looking in the right section.
I cant remember how much they were but it wasnt bad.

Think i'll get in touch with Tom at Wests :) Was gonna just pinch one off my cup, but would prefer a new one so it doesn't break again :)

Trafic 140dci
Had every intention of going out and spraying my rocker cover up today in VHT paint but...

6821991967_d355a143a2_b.jpg

6821984603_4298efc24c_b.jpg

Looks like my Clio is camouflaged! lol. Might man up later and do it, we'll see :)

Also RIP 172 cup.

6822004241_295b800efa_b.jpg

6821998355_fc2dbf17e7_b.jpg

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Loving the work lewis, wish I had the motivation to get my arse in the garage and sort out the cup, wish I'd known you had those spacers and studs as I would've got them off you when I was down....oh well

Trafic 140dci
poor cup! :(

White clio looks sick tho mate!
I do feel bad for the cup, i loved that car, but needs must and all the rest :)

Loving the work lewis, wish I had the motivation to get my arse in the garage and sort out the cup, wish I'd known you had those spacers and studs as I would've got them off you when I was down....oh well
Thanks mate, it's a labour of love :) i enjoy every second i spend working on the car, oh i have all sorts of goodies in my garage :p

Trafic 140dci
Well another early day at work once again :( Never mind gave me a chance to do more to my car :D With there still being a fair bit of snow on the ground, fitting my Whiteline ARB or 182 manifold was well out of the question. So i decided to give the engine bay a tidy up and spray the rocker cover.

Here it is before.

6829766945_fcc8182d6a_b.jpg

6829774121_29bcc91ca1_b.jpg

After a quick clean, most of the dirt was still on, but i'll just paint over that ;)

6829783429_1a17d09ac2_b.jpg

All prepped up and ready to go.

6829791213_37c052653f_b.jpg

And the end result. No where near as good as the spray job on my 172, but 100% better than what it was, i'll see how i get on with this, may re do it at another point, but it's alot tidier now so i'm happy.

6829802557_0a8f77ee30_b.jpg

6829809435_e7ea2dc201_b.jpg

6829817753_4240a34760_b.jpg

Also got this through the door today, thanks Richardos, from back in the day when my car was famous :cool:

6829826801_0a76328d2c_b.jpg

6829834133_fdaa388b75_b.jpg

6829842765_4e2f66546d_b.jpg

So getting there now, just got my 182 manifold to fit, Whiteline arb, and a bloody good clean :p and it will be ready for the next East of England meet, and Snetterton at the end of the month :D

Evo 5 RS
Nice one, looking good :). I wouldn't worry to much about the manifold I doubt it would make much difference to the map you've got on there at the moment. Really need to get mine up to TDF

Trafic 140dci
Nice one, looking good :). I wouldn't worry to much about the manifold I doubt it would make much difference to the map you've got on there at the moment. Really need to get mine up to TDF
Thanks mate, I know what your saying, and tbh it feels like this engine is responding better to my map strangely lol. But my old car made 202.9 bhp, which is a very good figure, so would like to get as close to that spec as possible :)

I'm thinking of just taking it to the local rollers, see what the AFR is and compare it to when Matt mapped the car, see how close the map is. (If that would work.. My mechanical knowledge is very little lol) Then i'd know if this engine is responding alright to the current map. When i fitted the ITB's they didn't require a lot of balancing at all, was very close.

Evo 5 RS
I'm in a similar situation where by I am using a tailored map for my previous engine, albeit on the same spec. It drives ok but is fairly flat in the mid range! It's all money I know, but I'd always get itbs live mapped

Trafic 140dci
I'm in a similar situation where by I am using a tailored map for my previous engine, albeit on the same spec. It drives ok but is fairly flat in the mid range! It's all money I know, but I'd always get itbs live mapped
I will do at some point, but i just want to know everything is roughly in the right ball park for now. Then i could get it live mapped by Matt again when i do something else.

Clio Grande RN
White Clio looks immense.
Had a quick read of the thread, you've done a wonderful job!
Sad to see the cup in pieces though! :p
+rep

Trafic 140dci
I would of thought you would see better 'peak' gains with the 172 4-1 manifold design...
I got 192.3bhp & 151 ftlb with ITB's, 45mm trumpets, piper cat back exhaust, standard cat in, and standard 4-1 manifold.

Then i got 202.9bhp & 169.9ftlb with ITB's, 90mm trumpets, Oreca group N cat back, Decat and 182 manifold.

Both results are on TDF's rollers & after live mapping, i've always thought and on other cars 4-2-1 was better than 4-1, i know on these it doesn't make much difference if any, but i have both manifolds, would rather have the one in that made the better results in the past :)

White Clio looks immense.
Had a quick read of the thread, you've done a wonderful job!
Sad to see the cup in pieces though!
th_tongue.gif

+rep

Cheers, i hate seeing the shell of the cup sitting on my drive :(

Looks awesome Lewis keep up the good work and will be good to see it when its complete
smiley1.gif

Thanks mate :)

Trafic 140dci
Another little job done and dusted today... White Speedline stickers :D was such a chore getting the old decals off, but was well worth it! :)

6841233583_7efd7d9cdb_b.jpg

6841246701_56120812b8_b.jpg

6841240605_166202ff0b_b.jpg

On another note, took the car for a spin yesterday, feels flat on the power around 4k rpm, no where near as much mid range as it used to be in the cup, i'm hoping this is because it hasn't got the 4-2-1 manifold yet. Either that or the ITB's need mapping to suit this engine... I hope not tho!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Looks amazing. I cant wait for my textured side strips and to get my spoiler painted.

White 1*2's ftw.

Trafic 140dci
Thanks for all the comments :)

Lewis - This looks amazing quite frankly! Hopefully see it at a few trackdays this year, wouldnt mind a passenger ride in it!

Nick

Thanks mate, your more than welcome, i think at the last Snetterton track day i took out at least 6 people lol.

Trafic 140dci
So I've spent all of today fitting my 182 manifold! What a chore! Lol i'be been on here 3 times checking guides and on the phone to DannyR twice, sheerest 2 bolts off, had to grind one off. So it's been hard work! But got there in the end. The car ddrives much better now, the mid range power feels much better and to be honest feels spot on to how my old car was so i'm very happy!

No pictures sadly as it was to cold, I was stressed & angry so just wanted to get done :)

Tomorrow I will be fitting my white line ARB and adjusting my coilovers so I can get off my drive without scraping my exhaust!

late 2003 172cup
What you done to my cup! Lol. White ph1 looks good tho. It's just sad seeing a good car I once owned on bricks. My old Gsi turbo was for sale before Xmas too.
I must pop by and have a spin in this, I wish I supercharged that cup now. I think a 250bhp Clio might of been quicker than a 300bhp Astra.

Trafic 140dci
What you done to my cup! Lol. White ph1 looks good tho. It's just sad seeing a good car I once owned on bricks. My old Gsi turbo was for sale before Xmas too.
I must pop by and have a spin in this, I wish I supercharged that cup now. I think a 250bhp Clio might of been quicker than a 300bhp Astra.
I know i didn't want to do it had just got it to the spec i wanted. But i still needed to put a roll cage in, get interior painted, front and rear bumpers were stone chipped to death, it's all more £££ so the white one worked out a cheaper choice. Is this Carl btw? Or did you own the car before him?

late 2003 172cup
I know i didn't want to do it had just got it to the spec i wanted. But i still needed to put a roll cage in, get interior painted, front and rear bumpers were stone chipped to death, it's all more £££ so the white one worked out a cheaper choice. Is this Carl btw? Or did you own the car before him?

Yeah bud it's me Carl. Looks good tho the swap. I would love to see a white ph2 tho ;) keep shell for a respray?