ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Project that shouldn't really be a Project - Monaco Blue 172

SQ5
So may as well update this thread rather than begin a new one.

It actually turned out that I bought this car exactly 2 years later, sold 10/08/2013, bought back 10/08/2015. Very strange.

Still haven't managed to give it a proper clean yet, although gave it a good going over yesterday. All original wheels have been repsrayed, and kerb marks removed, still a few chips but means I can free up some money selling the F1's.

So, I cleaned all arches and finished all plastics with some AF Revive. I had some DS2500 in the shed so put those in but now have massive brake pedal travel, also gave the cal opera a coat of silver to perk them up. I've got some black to do hubs another day.

Gave the leather a clean inside and tried shaving the Alcantara seats, is there a knack for this as it just made it fluffier?

Also fitted the Sabelt wheel as standard wheels are too big.

Didn't get many pictures as when washed and tried it started raining so didn't get chance to get any wax on.

553ac44ae1fd918c5b45a29f2d8500a7.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
A debobbler is what you need for the seats. I really like the standard wheels in silver on thes, especially in monaco. Wonder why the pedal feel has changed just through a pad change?

Any luck on the sale of the ph1 yet?

SQ5
I shall Google debobbler. Yea I love standard wheels on FR and MB 172's, it just doesn't work on plain colours imo.

I had nothing but managed to bed the brakes in so I have feel about 2/3 down. We bled them yesterday, but the bleed nipples on the front were blocked so didn't do greatest job on them, just pumped them a few times.

When I changed brakes I went quite hard on them first press as forgot the piston hadn't gone to its proper place yet, so unsure if that caused an issue, after a google it sounds like you can turn something in the servo inside out, but it didn't make sense and wasn't talking about Clio's anyway.

I have someone coming to look Tuesday at the Ph1, it's on piston heads and have heard nothing from that, quite a bit from here though.

SQ5
GLWS sale mate.

What's the plans for the manaco? I'm guessing it's staying as OEM+

This what I need?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0038RXSIS/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Yea, it'll be staying OEM, I plan on keeping it now forever as such.

Would like a Cup spoiler for it and to tidy the paintwork up a bit, and just generally keep it clean and factory fresh. Everything like brake pipes are still original looking green colour, it's like a new car mechanically.

SQ5
GLWS sale mate.

What's the plans for the manaco? I'm guessing it's staying as OEM+

Debobbler works a treat, just picked up another 172 and the passenger seat looks to of never been sat in so will be having that?

Was it you Mark that got new pedals? My accelerator one is worn so would like to get a new set, do you have any info?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Yes it was me buddy. I might have part numbers, I shall look.

I only changed the brake and clutch plates as I had a spare throttle pedal with a decent plate on it

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You can't buy the throttle pedal plate on its own, comes complete with the throttle pedal which is expensive.

This might seem a daft question but the part number for the plates is the one at top right yeah? 60 00 073 658? Was on the phone earlier trying to order two new plates for brake and clutch but the lad on the other end didn't seem to think they done them!

Ah that explains it maybe. Finished doing them for good I wonder, or just out of stock hopefully. Was really hoping for a pair to freshen things up, already got an accelerator in the heel-toe group buy! Cheers for the link, never knew of that site...and apologies for the thread hi-jack!

SQ5
Ah that explains it maybe. Finished doing them for good I wonder, or just out of stock hopefully. Was really hoping for a pair to freshen things up, already got an accelerator in the heel-toe group buy! Cheers for the link, never knew of that site...and apologies for the thread hi-jack!

No no no, I meant earlier on it was said the whole assembly needed to be bought!

Try renaultpartsdirect for pedals, they're clued up.

Crazy, would love to hear the reason behind it. Was surprised to see they don't have the brake/clutch plates anymore as iv seen a few people on here refreshing just the plates before...£8 seems like a steal as well for Renault prices!

SQ5
So, this has been sat on the drive doing nothing as the brakes have been s**t and sticking.

Ordered some new slide pins from eBay and they were wrong, f**king useless shower of c***s. Go to the local scrappy, get four from a Dynamique, brakes on and all fine! Lovely!

Cue the rain pissing down so I can't drive it today now!

Slide pins from the Dynamique were about 10mm shorter which in sure will be fine as they cannot go anywhere?!

SQ5
So just before Christmas I hit a hare and wrecked the front bumper. Left it as was moving house and got it booked in to be done whilst moving to get it out the way.

Whilst in I decided to get the boot done as had been done previously buy badly and had badges stuck wrong with superglue. Also decided to get a cup spoiler as everything was ready to be painted.

I don't think it's ever been so clean. If I could afford the bonnet and roof to be painted it would be so close to mint on the exterior, along with a couple of door dings.

Need to get the little black stickers, and see if anyway can spot the change in the front bumper ;)

e7a79544eb84ec3ff310e41a28aa1ba7.jpg

739ad027ab88a3c6c90ea9c658552228.jpg

35b791347797e3b8c2c89d2c9a858735.jpg

SQ5
No washer blanks. Would have loved to make my Monaco mint externally. Such a nice colour.

Spot on! Was fed up with them leaking

It's a lovely colour, there seems to be quite a few about too, forever seeing pictures of others.

I'm undecided on what to do about the rear badge. I'd love to keep it original with the proper badges, but can't help but think the new badge gives a better look?

SQ5
Yeah, remove it duhhhhh. It makes the rear end look so much more modern.

That's the thing I can't decide between.

Modern Vs. Original.

I plan on keeping this car for a very long time and within the next 5 years I'm hoping clean low mileage ones will demand a premium!

SQ5
Small update;

Engine is currently out, clutch started slipping, I found a receipt for a clutch that was £40 so that explained it! It was a Luk one not Valeo. And with going to the Nurburgring 1st of August I didn't ant to take the risk.

So excuse to rip the engine out, get Cambelt, Aux belt and water pump done, also new coolant, thermostat, steering rack bushes, gearbox oil, PAS fluid and also a new drivers side driveshaft as that had a little knock I'd belt a couple of times and could feel when off.

I also bought a very special part too...

786844b591fc623d3d10a6ed3fdd581b.jpg

Megane 225 keywayed pulley a must for supercharging...

So AlexW will be coming down a fitting that Saturday and hopefully back up and running by end of the weekend. So I will of spent about £650 but will have a car that should now do me for another 3+ years stress free for the main things that can fail with the amount of new stuff it's had the last 6 months.

Polo gti
Finally talked you out of them evil superchargers! Now it's time for real boost! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SQ5
More s**t. Just need to sell my Xbox one steering wheel and stand now to fund the other bits!

e22ca8cc3e02cff3cb8d0a32461e1cb7.jpg

Why people don't go for AEM I do not know?!

SQ5
Is that a piggy back to the OE ECU?

Yes it's a piggy back. When running and fitting other ECU's (EC1, Adaptronic) the only difference is it doesn't use a throttle position sensor or lambda. It has a MAP sensor built in, uses the crank position sensor and controls the injectors.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Is that a significantly cheaper option then? Be interesting to see how well it works.
The cheapest Adaptronic from EFI Parts is about £630 then it needs wiring into the loom and the car mapped. I paid about £1100 for everything above as it came as a complete drive in drive out package price when I supercharged my 182 Clio. It's an expensive outlay but what you get back is a tailor made map to start with, then if you have absolutely any queries you can record live data via a laptop hooked up to the ECU to read the map. I did this and e mailed Chris the data for him to check how the map is all the way through the rev range. You can then tweak the map as and when on the rollers, with the plug and play stuff it comes with a base generic map for sayow boost. The problem I think lies is that it's locked down so you can't take it to any rollers to tweak the map as its all under licence.
I might be wrong with some of the details but with the off the shelf turbo kits you get the AEM with everything pre mapped, they might tweak it if you pay to have it fitted by the company but I believe the idea of the kit is that you can fit it all home brew.
You can save money buying the piggyback but the bigger picture certainly for me going Adaptronic was the aftercare from EFI and the ability to adjust the map.

SQ5
AEM is £606 delivered with a map on and is about 12 wires to wire in.

AEM are also a MASSIVE company, all the Honda turbos use them.

With the adaptronic your paying for standalone but it is still only being used as a piggy back.

I'll still go for proper mapping at Engine Dynamics as it's 45 minutes away and ED are even closer to you Ric? You can also tweak the map yourself and it's all USB rather than serial like a lot of other ECU.

All in all with mapping it will cost £900~ and they're close so it's perfect option for me.

I think the problem is ED don't really advertise that it's a brilliant option instead of the other piggy back ECUs out there and with the name behind it.