ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm, it would seem there are one or two nVidia Volta engineering samples out there already. Q3 2017 release at 16nm FINFET with GDDR5X? :tongueout:

EDIT: I don't think the 12nm or 10nm is viable just yet and HBM2 memory is still expensive.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
IMG_20170421_162259.jpg

New graphics card installed and up and running. Cheers @N0ddie!

Gave that benchmark test a go there too. Pretty much as expected:

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_5550_1492788644.png

Wish I'd tested my old card now before I removed it...

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Our son would like a PC in order to play games. The availability of really cheap/free/good children's games on PC is far superior than current games consoles. I am going to use this opportunity to upgrade my current PC and put some of my current components into his PC.

I'm going to buy myself the ASUS Crosshair 6 motherboard and Ryzen 1700 CPU and give him my current combo of ASUS Maximus 8 motherboard and 6700k CPU. I want to keep my current hard drives as they are with my stuff on them and will obviously buy him a small 250GB SSD to keep him going in the meantime.

Building and setting up his PC will be straightforward and just like starting a fresh however I'm unsure about my computer with the motherboard and CPU swap.

The questions I have are:

Is there a way to do this where I wont lose whats on my current set of hard drives? I have 1 SSD for my games library, 1 for my media, 1 for my backup and an M.2 for the OS. My research so far says that games, media and backup drives will be ok left as they are but I'll have to fresh install windows on the M.2 because of drivers conflicts with old vs. new system?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I upgraded my CPU and motherboard (and GPU and RAM and etc. etc.) whilst retaining my hard drives. I had no issue whatsoever. The only thing I had to do was re-validate my copy of Windows 10 as Microsoft deemed the changes significant enough to treat it as a new PC (hence unregistered). As always, I would recommend backing-up the drives just in case. Sod's Law and all that...

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Cheers.
Still in 2 minds weather or not to just buy him a Kaby Lake CPU and motherboard and leave it at that. Dunno if I need 8c/16t CPU just yet.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
What do you think of Ryzen @Silent_Scone ?

It's ok, been using it for a week. Not really an enthusiast platform, though. All the memory subsets are still locked down. I've managed to get 3500Mhz stable on the DRAM side. The 1700 for entry into 8 core territory is hard to pass up, though. The platforms just too quirky currently to recommend it on that merit alone

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Outta the box on the STRIX:
34003730152_a4958d235d_b.jpg
Using the Strix now, waiting on the waterblock :smile:

Although, the cooler on this thing for an air cooler is monolithic. Haven't seen above 65c, and with a custom curve that's not the least bit intrusive (still practically silent), haven't seen above 55c

Yeah i know. Just impressed at how much higher it scores than the 1080s on this thread

It's to be expected, it's not based on the same chip, GP102 is a massive GPU

BMW M4; S1000 RR
So I have just read that 4k 144hz monitors now exist. f**k.

The moment those go to market (in reality I'll be able to resist a 27" one, but when a 32" model is available....) I guess my Amex will be getting a workout! Whatever the latest Ti card plus the monitor..

F82 M4
So I have just read that 4k 144hz monitors now exist. f**k.

The moment those go to market (in reality I'll be able to resist a 27" one, but when a 32" model is available....) I guess my Amex will be getting a workout! Whatever the latest Ti card plus the monitor..

I didn't know that until I just saw what you posted. The ASUS one looks f**king awesome, however they estimate it will be $2000!! :smiley:

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
f**k that I'm waiting for 21:9 variants. 144Hz 4K is still a pipe dream even with SLI, it's the HDR aspect I'm wanting to try

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Do you have the FTW one Darren? That's the one I have and I'm MUCH hotter than you. I assume you have better airflow in the case?

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_7078_1492449923.png
Hi m8. I bought the EVGA FTW AIO cooler for it and fitted it to the 1080 FTW.

It's a bit fragile to swap over - putting screws into plastic is always a bit twitchy - but it's straight forward enough to do.

I used to get proper fan noise increase - when anything slightly demanding kicked in. Now I play in virtual silence in comparison. I thought the AIO kit was a bit of an indulgence when I bought it - but it's been worth every penny.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evg...hics-cards-dedicated-copper-plate-for-memory-

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
only just getting back into the Power PC game at the moment,
My lastest toy is as follows :)
i7-6700k
Asus Z170E
16gb DDR4 Corsair CMGK16X
EVGA 980 TI Hybrid
34174916920_1892c669fa_b.jpg

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm officially excited for Volta now. Loving the changes to the architecture and the potential performance it offers. As impressive as Pascal is it wasn't a massive advance on previous generations of tech. Volta looks like it could shake things up a bit in terms of providing a new platform for nVidia to base their new generation cards on. :cool:

F82 M4

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Right, thought I would post this here. I've been offered 2 brand new unopened EVGA 1080Ti's SC2's for £1300. Both originally bought from Scan and come with 1 year Scan warranty and 3 years EVGA warranty. Anyone interested in going halves? £650 per card is £150 saving from Overclockers!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.overclockers.co.uk/evga-geforce-gtx-1080ti-sc2-gaming-icx-11264mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-11g-p4-6593-kr-gx-312-ea.html?template=amp
Good bargain that! Unfortunately I'll be sticking to my standard 1080 for a while.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Right, thought I would post this here. I've been offered 2 brand new unopened EVGA 1080Ti's SC2's for £1300. Both originally bought from Scan and come with 1 year Scan warranty and 3 years EVGA warranty. Anyone interested in going halves? £650 per card is £150 saving from Overclockers!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.overclockers.co.uk/evga-geforce-gtx-1080ti-sc2-gaming-icx-11264mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-11g-p4-6593-kr-gx-312-ea.html?template=amp
@Wilkeh - mate, if I can cancel my FTW3 order in time tomorrow then I'll go halves with you.

F82 M4
@Wilkeh - mate, if I can cancel my FTW3 order in time tomorrow then I'll go halves with you.
Yeah dude no worries, let me know because if I have them I've got to pick them up tomorrow morning :smile:

EDIT: Unfortunately mate he's already sold them this morning. He's just text me but never mind. He said he's going to let me know this weekend if the buyer shows up

Last edited:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah dude no worries, let me know because if I have them I've got to pick them up tomorrow morning :smile:

EDIT: Unfortunately mate he's already sold them this morning. He's just text me but never mind. He said he's going to let me know this weekend if the buyer shows up
Shiiiiiit - just cancelled my preorder :(