ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The PH1 172 Appreciation Thread.

Clio 172 2002
If you remove your headlights, you can heat up the edges of the lens with a heat gun untill the glue goes soft. Once it's soft, you can unclip the lens cover. Get some antibacterial wipes and rub off the chrome around the bulbs. This will give you the black headlamp look. Once finished, clip the lens cover back on and refit.

awesome. I will certainly try that!
So it's black plastic beneath the chrome ? I thought i had to paint that black.
thanks!
wonder if it can be done without removing the bumper

172 Ph1
awesome. I will certainly try that!
So it's black plastic beneath the chrome ? I thought i had to paint that black.
thanks!
wonder if it can be done without removing the bumper

I would say not , as you have to heat the glue holding the lens on .
I also thought I was going to paint inside black .
Happy days in scraping off the chrome .
I have a few spare lamps so I'll be experimenting soon then .

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
You have to remove the bumper to access to full headlamp. I'd also remove it off the car then heat it up rather than in position.

It doesn't need scraping off, mine literally just wiped off using Tesco anti-bacterial wipes. With lemon fragrance!

172 Ph1
Step one complete.
I used damp cloth .

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445518503.141757.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the glue only needs to be warned up so it becomes weak. It'll just pull off after that.

I made the mistake of getting the glue on mine, hence how I know it removes the chrome. I wanted to remove the cover but keep it chrome.

172 Ph1
Yeah the glue only needs to be warned up so it becomes weak. It'll just pull off after that.

I made the mistake of getting the glue on mine, hence how I know it removes the chrome. I wanted to remove the cover but keep it chrome.

Ah I see - so by accident you found out.
Oh well .
Did you end up buying replacement lamps in the end ?
Come to think of it , I think I read you did .

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
@KitsonRis No need. The gum stays on the outside of the headlights so it just bonds back on as its still sticky. The clips hold it tight too. Mine was fine.

@barnesautos Looking at getting a more sensible/mature car with more room, luxuries, reliability, etc as its my daily. Decided not to put anymore money into the clio. Will buy the new car, then break the clio to put the money back into the account.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
That picture has convinced me to do mine!! Another job for the winter then. The amount of times the front bumper is off I may have to fit a quick release for it!!

Clio 172 2002
That looks awesome, you left some chrome around that bulb, I imagine it would be on purpose because it acts as a reflector ? and the projector side doesn't need the chrome anyway right ?
anyway does removing the MK2 PH1 bumper the same procedure as removing the MK2 PH2 bumper ? because i found a guide for the PH2

SQ5
That looks awesome, you left some chrome around that bulb, I imagine it would be on purpose because it acts as a reflector ? and the projector side doesn't need the chrome anyway right ?
anyway does removing the MK2 PH1 bumper the same procedure as removing the MK2 PH2 bumper ? because i found a guide for the PH2

The chrome around the bulb is different plastic/coating IIRC.

Ph1 bumper is different, has more bolt.

One in each wing, two below the front grille, three underneath the car attached to subframe

172 Ph1

That's correct . The chrome for the main beam bulb is positioned around the bulb and is separate from the now black plastic piece that was chrome.

With regards to removal of the bumper , once all the bolts are out and the arch liners are either removed or taken off with the bumper it's relatively easy .
The hardest part is removing the grille on a Ph1 , where it clips into the headlamps in each corner . Can be bloody awkward to prise apart .

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
As said its really simple, and to add to @barnesautos comment about the grill, do not let it swing/drop one side while being conencted as it will brake the tab holding it in....I found out the hard way. It is like you need to remove the lamp unit before you can remove the grill, but the grill needs to come out to remove the lamp, its a pain.

Love the front - looks great with the headlamps now
Yes, yes it does!! Let me get my brakes done and my seats back in (door cards and flocking the dash can wait pending funds) then I will do the lights! They look mean as