ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Odyssey (Phase 1 172) - By Coops

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Couple more niggles sorted tonight, when indicating right the fog light light on the dash kept coming on, i'd already cleaned up the earths so it was the cluster itself on the rear of the car
so fitted new light panels I had in shed to it from phase 1 I broke years ago, sorted!

DSC_1848_zpsqboaiyqg.jpg

and then sorted the blown bulb in the clock display in the top dash which had been annoying me, again from stock in the shed, same as the old valver ones so nicked from a mk1 Clio clock!
Have to take a large amount of top dahs apart though, just for one measly little bulb!!!lol!!

before

DSC_1845_zpsqtzgpk0z.jpg

in bits

DSC_1843_zpslzhjcdzw.jpg

kippered little bugger, all that for just this!!

DSC_1847_zpswk36qevw.jpg

and done! much better!
DSC_1850_zpshgzjgbfv.jpg

DSC_1851_zpsbwlng0na.jpg

cheers

Ben

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Decided to have a crack at cleaning the rear of the car fully to remove the dog hair today...... things escalated quickly!!! lol!

DSC_1855_zps5e7fknea.jpg

DSC_1856_zpssy7apka4.jpg

bit of muck here and there to clean up but nothing terrible for a 16 year old car that's done her time as a daily! and done it well!

DSC_1859_zps9ldzh6cu.jpg

DSC_1857_zps7esgdfuj.jpg

Had a small argument with the rear seat retaining bolt too, me and mr angle grinder won the battle......but the wars not over, stud extractor or similar going to be required me feels!

DSC_1858_zpskbazhxwl.jpg

@mintno1 is providing me with a new rear bench over Easter with any luck as the plastic seatbelt retaining guides were snapped on mine, as such, I have stripped them down to get the material off them for a snappy refurb of the steering wheel at some point.

DSC_1862_zpspjb1ndv5.jpg

DSC_1863_zpsktgjchc0.jpg

I was going to fit the vmaxx coilovers today too, but unfortunately I'm missing the top caps, so hoping seller has them and can forward them on

so that was a no go and instead decided to spend bit of time on the paintwork, its not bad but loads of scuffs, scratches and stress cracks on the plastic bumpers etc, about par for a 144k 16 year old motor I'd say. scrubs up not bad really.

I clay bar'd the car too and happily very little contamination on the paint, apart from the bonnet randomly which was ditched! only pic I took was of the bar from this panel

got a good polish in and one layer of wax too, enjoyed pottering tbh for couple of hours!

DSC_1854_zpslahanh78.jpg

cheers

Ben

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
oh and here is my phase 1 rust candid snaps, not rotten, in fact not bad at all really. I'll be scrubbing the worst off, giving it a good fettle with a prodding stick to test structural integrity and then coating in the fabled hammerite kurust.

DSC_1861_zpsxen2rt0c.jpg

DSC_1860_zpshkkgdpwy.jpg

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly how my inner sills look. I had a poke down mine the other day while I was in the back, and was plesantly surprised. I Kurusted them the other year but wouldn't mind doing it again.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
No problem, keep up the good work. I always enjoy coming back and seeing the updates.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Love a little parts delivery on a Monday to cheer me up :)

The rs badge is a marmite thing on a phase 1 but personally since seeing @Phase1sr car I knew I had to do it.

And new header trank and type D coolant to go in too after a good system flush!

DSC_1874_zps6xfnfl3i.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
More progress last night

Refitted my ECU brackets after spraying them satin black, I'm going to replace the battery positive terminal too I think as the cover has broken loose and looks a mess!

DSC_1886_zpspiel1vhc.jpg

Then I scrubbed back the surface rust in the inner sills and treated with a coat of hammerite kurust. I will repeat the treatment at the weekend and then coat the lot in waxoyl underseal before refitting the doorcards

DSC_1880_zps2ugble17.jpg

DSC_1882_zpsqgakxshk.jpg

and then the fun job, fitted my new R.S badge. Was very happy with how this went as after talking to @Phase1sr he informed me he had to chop the badge down to fit in the grill and then use a small self tapping screw to hold it in place. After a bit of head scratching and not wanting to put a hole in the grill (even if couldn't really see if the badge was removed etc, but still..) I just trimmed a small amount off the sides of the badge (still a harrowing thing to do to a fairly expensive item!) and low and behold it clicked into the grill like it was made to fit!!! quelle surprise!!
I know its a bit of a marmite mod, but I love it! and I will get some decent pics of the car as it stands now with the badge once I get another layer of wax onto it!

DSC_1891_zpsxrdvoaoj.jpg

DSC_1892_zpsag4jpvy9.jpg

cheers
Ben

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Quick pic in the sun with the badge fitted. Crying out for coilovers!!
View attachment 183337
Cleaned and sorted the interior now too ready to fit once I drill out and sort the snapped bolt :)
View attachment 183338 View attachment 183339
And also picked up an aluminium bonnet and couple of other bits from @mintno1 steering wheel to get snappy'd included :)
View attachment 183340
Cheers
Ben

Car was looking good yesterday, look forward to seeing the bit's you picked up on the car, nice to meet you :up:

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Few more bits sorted
Top caps for da coilovaz haz arrived, in a very fetching blue colour........least they'll be hidden!
also finally managed to drill out and retap the bolt for the rear seats, what a nightmare that was, I swore, a lot, in fact i'm swearing in my inner monologue still.
and then smashed some underseal down the inner sills now the two coats of kurust have set

Top Caps here

DSC_1925_zpsxd9s2rjm.jpg

Drill and retap complete

DSC_1921_zpszkebzbf9.jpg

DSC_1920_zpsovtezq5m.jpg

underseal smashed

DSC_1922_zpsfhnccvvn.jpg

DSC_1924_zpsu7ipca6m.jpg

oh and I did another buy, had to really as I have a norev one for my mk1 also!

DSCF1374_zpskxkvim1u.jpg

coilovers to be fitted Friday hopefully! weather permitting as its threatening rain now!

cheers

Ben

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Coilover fitting today!! yeeeeeeeey lol!

simple job really, just unblolt old, set new and fit. Went for as low as they'll go with the rear adjustment platforms still in and front left as they were when I got them.

so out with the old

DSC_1937_zps9yhesqoq.jpg

DSC_1946_zpsptidllfk.jpg

in with the new

DSC_1942_zpspcvmiit4.jpg

DSC_1936_zpstyv071jt.jpg

rear platform lower section bolted in to rear beam

DSC_1938_zpsyqfyysqz.jpg

spring and shocker fitted

DSC_1939_zpsusuvepjt.jpg

front strut assembly fitted

DSC_1943_zpsdzsblqss.jpg

and before, with arch gap:

DSC_1933_zpsaschvmrx.jpg

after, less gappage!

DSC_1945_zpspv9xowai.jpg

happy with how its sitting currently and once the rear interior and spare etc are all refitted the rear will sit a bit lower, at that point I will then lower the front to match, like to keep a small amount of front rake on the car :)

couple of close ups of arch gaps before and after:

front

DSC_1935_zps233acpwl.jpg

DSC_1944_zpscv3cowrt.jpg

rear

DSC_1934_zpsf0ofywgk.jpg

DSC_1941_zpsxysrn5gs.jpg

cheers

Ben

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
The before pics it was on h&r's which sit about same as sportlines but the rear interior is out so looked high! Tractor spec! Lol!
Model came from for sales on here matey @KitsonRis

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Small update, I put the interior back in a wound the fronts down another 10mm to match, but didn't get any pics

I have some 20mm front spacers coming to get the front wheels sat right on the lip of the arches

and then this happened.......so new caliper on order!lol!

DSC_2014_zpsxmwuxjxr.jpg

DSC_2015_zpsducous3f.jpg

DSC_2013_zps1qaeq8xx.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Well

new caliper fitted and bled up, so got my brakes back and car is useable again!

then stuck the 20mm spacers on the front too, so its stitting tight to the arch now. will get some decent pics after she's had a bath!

cheers

Ben

DSC_2023_zpstpnljaxu.jpg

DSC_2025_zpscbhujib4.jpg

DSC_2026_zpszmcww9og.jpg