ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The next iPad....

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
The iPad Air 2 I ordered for my moms 60th has arrived, certainly a significant upgrade over my iPad 4 (Retina one). Very slick!
This will be upgrade I'll be making. Glad to hear its worth it, the speed of the Retina just seems to frustrate me a little nowadays.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
How was it a pos?

slow, slow, slow and slow.

It was barely usable. Theres a reason why they released the 4 6 months after the 3, it just didn't have enough processing power for iOS7.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
slow, slow, slow and slow.

It was barely usable. Theres a reason why they released the 4 6 months after the 3, it just didn't have enough processing power for iOS7.
Hmm. Never had any issue with both of mine

DB.

BMW 440i
This will be upgrade I'll be making. Glad to hear its worth it, the speed of the Retina just seems to frustrate me a little nowadays.

Mine isn't too slow, but I think I'll be opting for the next available iPad after the Air2 as it's a noticeable upgrade!

Upgrading my 2011 iMac to a new one soon!

Air 2 is awesome! Only regret is going for 64 instead of 128gb. I first bought a gold but hated it so sent it back and picked up a space grey version.

133/225/CLS AMG
It wasn't so much iOS 7 that was the problem but the iPad 3's additional processing speed over the iPad 2 was absorbed by it having to power the retina display. So on benchmark tests it sometimes performed slower than the iPad 2, hence the iPad 4 coming out 7 months after the 3's release.

Of course software becomes more and more hardware reliant but iOS 7 wasn't crippling to the iPad 3 and I'd say iOS 8 ran better on it. I my iPad 3 since May 2012 and it's been working fine, admittedly it's not as quick as my iPhone 6 but then it wouldn't be.

I've opted for an iPad Air 2 because the 3 has started to feel slow but it was by no means struggling as you may imagine. Plus the Air 2 having 2gb of RAM adds more longevity (hopefully!) than previous models.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Yup good point she does have the iPad 4 then, thanks. Don't think that'll be needing an upgrade for a couple more years then, though she says iOS 8 has slowed it down significantly.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
My mate's iPad 2 is completely fucked now with iOS 8... so yours would be in between fucked and slowed down lol. I'm sure there's a way to go back if you didn't like it though.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't dared put ios8 on my 3 yet

My 3 is still on ios6, not sure whether to brave it or not. Don't have a problem with the performance of it as only use it for web browsing and the NHL app.

Work are giving us all an iPad Air (don't think it'll be a 2) in the next couple of weeks so will so how much different that is to the 3 :) least that one will be a 3G version not just wifi which will be nice to have.

Really can't decide, Air 2 with 16GB [£399] vs Air 1 with 32GB [£360]
The processor and anti reflective screen are tempting me to spend a little more but sacrifice the memory. We tend to steam stuff but imagine you can get some very nice games these days that would fill 16GB up quickly?!
Who copes with a 16GB iPad. I guess external is an option if its an issue.

Last edited:
  133/225/CLS AMG
16gb just isn't enough when you look at how much space some apps and photos use let alone iOS updates!

That said the A8X chip and 2gb of memory the Air 2 has over the Air 1 means it's performance give the 2 a fair bit more longevity than the 1!

I'm finding the whole dropping 32GB just taking the wee wee to squeeze every penny.. Progression would be dropping 16GB.
I guess you can always load external memory with a lighting to USB although some rumours suggest iOS 8 is making that very difficult.
I'm semi-confident the iPad Air 1 still has 2-3 years life left in it. Although my mini turned a bit sh*t after 1 iOS version.

Shame the Nexus 9 32GB isn't a fraction cheaper.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Mrs just treated me to an air 2 for Crimbo, I've been using the iPad 2 since launch and it was great until iOS 8, now it's fucked. Anyway.. any case recommendations for air 2? I've had a Marware CEO on the 2 for the last couple of years and still like it, but can't find one for the air..

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Mrs just treated me to an air 2 for Crimbo, I've been using the iPad 2 since launch and it was great until iOS 8, now it's fucked. Anyway.. any case recommendations for air 2? I've had a Marware CEO on the 2 for the last couple of years and still like it, but can't find one for the air..

Leather Apple smart case (not the cover).

Mines as good as new.

Id definitely have another.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Yeah that was the only one I liked the look of in pc world, but I wanted to come home and look for a marware first.