ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Ferry! E39 530d Touring

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
No worries mate. Is it easy to locate on the rear of the sat nav?

quick, s**t pic of mine

image_zps30a2c656.jpg

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Nice one mate, thanks! The auto box on mine seems fine. Heard a lot lf issues with them and folk recommend you never open them for a change..it is very smooth changing through gears. Mileage is 114k, 2003 model

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
I'd do it if it were mine after the experiences of mine.

Take the fill plug out at take a sample of fluid. If it's not red, it's brown, grey or black, change it.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I'll read up on it mate. As far as im
aware mine has never been changed..

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
If it were mine, for the money I'd change it. Make sure you get the correct stuff tho as normal ATF will f**k it.

Obviously up to you though mate. As I said, I didn't think there was anything up with mine until I changed it.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Today's job was a simple one.

The car took an age to warm up effecting the MPG. After talking to a couple of other owners apparently they should warm up really quickly. After some googling the fault was traced to this.....

5C19792D-7444-43F7-809F-63DF3633E58F_zpskmb0fsxj.jpg

Took less than 20mins to swap over.

I'm amazed just how quickly the car warms up now.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Today's job was a simple one.

The car took an age to warm up effecting the MPG. After talking to a couple of other owners apparently they should warm up really quickly. After some googling the fault was traced to this.....

5C19792D-7444-43F7-809F-63DF3633E58F_zpskmb0fsxj.jpg

Took less than 20mins to swap over.

I'm amazed just how quickly the car warms up now.

Think mine has the same issue mate. Thermostat gauge never actually reaches the 12 o'clock position, makes it to about 10 o'clock after a long while. You got a link to the part? Any guides out there to change it?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Nice one. I still think they look smart even now. One of the best 5 series ever imo.

Yeah I always had a fancy for an e39. Honestly is a great driving machine, so refined and smooth even though mine is running 18s with a low profile. Seems to effortlessly drive about then when you show it a corner it's not actually too bad at all. Also very comfy. Would say the steering is a little on the heavy side but I'm looking into that, might need to change the fluid

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Epic car, the EGR thermostat went on my 320d too. Always the cheapest to replace out of the 2/3 so worth doing first Cribert

Daily 530d Auto is becoming more appealing by the day.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Epic car, the EGR thermostat went on my 320d too. Always the cheapest to replace out of the 2/3 so worth doing first @Cribert

Daily 530d Auto is becoming more appealing by the day.

Mines a 530i, think it could be the thermostat. I'll have that replaced first off

Leon Cupra 300
530i is just one stat.. They're prone to failure, mine needed doing. Mpg jumped up by 2/3. Auto box performs better too because the car knows it's warmed up so it's not in slip mode to heat the oil sooner!

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
530i is just one stat.. They're prone to failure, mine needed doing. Mpg jumped up by 2/3. Auto box performs better too because the car knows it's warmed up so it's not in slip mode to heat the oil sooner!

Cheers mate! Is it an easy job? Do I need to bleed the system?

Leon Cupra 300
I had the garage do mine with a few other bits. it didn't take them that long 20mins or so.

Its in-line with a coolant pipe so it needs draining down, not completely as it's at the top of the engine. Swap over and fill back up, bleed as necessary.

if yours is an auto it'll have a dramatic affect on how it performs, it's lots keener to lock in gear, and generally more efficient.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I had the garage do mine with a few other bits. it didn't take them that long 20mins or so.

Its in-line with a coolant pipe so it needs draining down, not completely as it's at the top of the engine. Swap over and fill back up, bleed as necessary.

if yours is an auto it'll have a dramatic affect on how it performs, it's lots keener to lock in gear, and generally more efficient.

Nice one mate:)

got a stat today so I'll get stuck in at the weekend!

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Having taken a short ride in this car I can confirm it looks great, is a superb load-carrier, and goes very well too with some choice mods & of course the MWM touch with the map.

With mid-40s mpg on a cruise too, it really is an ultimate driving machine, love it!

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Mike my old mans getting rid of a set of his parralles soon. There not in amazing condition but there very cheep. PM me if your interested :)

There great cars, dads one is currently on 217K and still pulls like a train. Will be taking its second trip to Le Mans next month, last year it did there and back on less than a tank and a half !

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Mike my old mans getting rid of a set of his parralles soon. There not in amazing condition but there very cheep. PM me if your interested :)

There great cars, dads one is currently on 217K and still pulls like a train. Will be taking its second trip to Le Mans next month, last year it did there and back on less than a tank and a half !

Don't tempt me mate lol

PM me some pictures and what he's asking for them if that's ok?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Quick one mate!

What gearbox oil did you use and how many litres did it take? Also where can you get a new gearbox filter from?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Cheers mate. Did the oil change. Not a massive improvement but the gearbox was slick anyways. Oil was proper rancid right enough, don't think it's ever been changed! How u enjoying it? I love mine, kind of wish id went for a touring mind. Extra cool points