ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Apple Watch Thread

Honda. Tesla Someday
In to my 4th day with the Pebble Steel now without charging (including nightly sleep monitoring). Still has 40% left!

If the Apple watch 2 doesnt have a good battery I think I'll stick with my Pebble, honestly don't think I'd be without a 'smart watch' now that I have finally owned one.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
In to my 4th day with the Pebble Steel now without charging (including nightly sleep monitoring). Still has 40% left!

If the Apple watch 2 doesnt have a good battery I think I'll stick with my Pebble, honestly don't think I'd be without a 'smart watch' now that I have finally owned one.

How does the Pebble Steel do sleep monitoring then, there's no heart rate sensor AFAIK?

Agreed, the Apple Watch 2 needs good battery life, meant to be out this summer, so info & pics will start getting leaked, will then decide if I want one or not, but the battery on my 6S is superb compared to previous iPhones.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Still seems to be tech that very few people have taken up. Those that don't spend much on watches seem to think it's a lot to spend on a watch. Those that are in to watches don't seem inclined to wear something that looks more like a casio than a high quality watch.

Just not for me, it's quite basic, low res monochrome screen, quite chunky, wasn't really keen on it personally.
There was an Alcatel one next to it for the same price that 'looked' much better >>>

alcatel_watch_notifications-100579113-large.jpg

Reviews are average (aside from good battery life), it lacks apps & functionality, but again so does the Pebble, at this price point you won't get anything great IMO, for £79 though might be ok as an introduction to smart watches.

Thanks to you I just bought one :) Game are doing them @£59.99 for anyone else tempted, billy bargain!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
@MarkX Check the firmware on your watch, the Game stock must be older and mine needed an update, it's done via the phone app

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
Regarding the Apple watch is anyone using one with an older iOS? I'm on 7.1.1 and know some of the functions within the watch can be seen in later software. (I won't be upgrading)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Had my Apple Watch a while now...

Don't wear it every day (mainly because I forget to put any watch on) however once on its very comfy (sports watch)

One main bonus to it, I have some friends that if I'm with them at say a meal and I look at my phone because of a txt, a few kick off saying I'm anti social bla bla bla... However watch saves you from this, and at the same time that I don't use it for much more regularly than checking txts and emails as my phone is in my pocket I don't get distracted and do become more social in those situations!

There are other extremely useful things to use it for but mainly I think most people I know are the same, keep meaning to buy other straps but not gotten round to it yet...

One app that did interest me (don't know the name) but it works as an alarm that if you leave your phone or iPad in a room with friends or a woman and you leave said room then a person tries to do some sneaky investigating whilst you aren't there you get notifications!

Other than that there isn't much that has caught my eye. Do I need the watch? No, do I use it daily? No but I also forget where I'm going all the time so it's not that I don't wear it because I don't like it, I forget. Do I enjoy my tech experience more or less with the watch? I enjoy it a lot more, checking my watch normally ends with a reply via the watch and I'm back to doing what I was before the notification... If I don't have watch with me, a txt notification and reply normally follows with a 5 min browse on Facebook! The watch stops me getting distracted from what I was doing before hand

Cayman S Edition 1
Still wear mine every day. It's biggest use is the fitness tracker (motivates me to exercise / move about as I work from home). Also benefit from text / call alerts when the phone is on silent or left in another room.

It also links to my Philips hue light app, but it takes so long to load on the watch, I tend to do that from the phone.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Yup, I was hoping the same, when's the next event?

5pm tomorrow.

Expected tech includes iPhone 6c (cheaper version of the S) and iPad Air 3.

Problem with the Apple Watch is that some people paid up to an extortionate 18k for theirs only 12 months ago so I don't think Apple will be so quick to release a replacement.

Highly thinking about this now, not fussed on the new strap for the sports version though.

I'll probably go black rubber 42mm sports version, I'm just not 100% as I now a couple of people who bought the watch and don't wear it at all now.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
5pm tomorrow.

Expected tech includes iPhone 6c (cheaper version of the S) and iPad Air 3.

Problem with the Apple Watch is that some people paid up to an extortionate 18k for theirs only 12 months ago so I don't think Apple will be so quick to release a replacement.

I knew that, I meant the next one afte this week's ;)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Bought the black sport one with a nylon band on a whim. Actually love it. Apple Pay is super useful, love the health tracking stuff and notifications are really cool (although it's annoying sometimes when someone messages you 10 times in a row having 10 alerts on your wrist...). Have even had some phone calls using it.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Well me cheapo Alcatel watch is playing up, or the charging side at least, it has USB built into the strap, must be a loose connection as you need to hold it in a position for it to charge, everything else still works fine, taking it back to Game under warranty, shame.

Bumpety bump...

Really wanted one when they came out but persuaded myself to wait for mk2.

Glad I did, gps without needing your phone, now perfect for bike rides!

Which size is best to go for? I'll have to go and try them out at an Apple Store. Smaller would be better for work (not allowed to wear watches/jewellery) but bigger would be better all other times.

Anyone use one with strava? Does it work well?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I'm intrested to know how the speaker works, Apple's website says it lets water in then pushes it back out with vibrations.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Apple would probably try and convince you they have anti-water material that vaporises the water on contact. I have an Apple watch so I'm slagging it off, but waterproof (resistant) speakers are nothing new.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Bumpety bump...

Really wanted one when they came out but persuaded myself to wait for mk2.

Glad I did, gps without needing your phone, now perfect for bike rides!

Which size is best to go for? I'll have to go and try them out at an Apple Store. Smaller would be better for work (not allowed to wear watches/jewellery) but bigger would be better all other times.

Anyone use one with strava? Does it work well?

Wouldn't you have your phone with you anyway on bike rides?

You'll want the bigger one, it's not big at all- the smaller one is for people with small hands (mainly small women or children I'd imagine). I have average size hands and I find the screen a bit small at times so I imagine some people would find either size too small.

malcolmgt

ClioSport Club Member
  MK Golf GTI
I have the larger one, I was going to wait for the watch 2 but decided that

1. I always have my phone on me so its no real issue.
2. The battery will be poor so wont last too long out running/riding especially if using GPS
3. It will be probably about £500 no doubt.

I have the larger one, I was going to wait for the watch 2 but decided that

1. I always have my phone on me so its no real issue.
2. The battery will be poor so wont last too long out running/riding especially if using GPS
3. It will be probably about £500 no doubt.
£399
£369 for the smaller one

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
New ceramic one is over a grand isn't it?

Oh well, I'm still waiting for a circular version. Got a feeling I might be waiting a very long time...

malcolmgt

ClioSport Club Member
  MK Golf GTI
£399
£369 for the smaller one

Not too bad a price, unless they have changed the battery I doubt it will be worth it.
When you use the tracker on the apple watch 1 using the Bluetooth on the phone it really drains the battery. Let alone if it was using its own GPS the whole time.

Not too bad a price, unless they have changed the battery I doubt it will be worth it.
When you use the tracker on the apple watch 1 using the Bluetooth on the phone it really drains the battery. Let alone if it was using its own GPS the whole time.

Apple website shows gps battery life 5 hours

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I find the battery on my watch pretty good. Never lasts less than a day, but then I barely use it other than setting oven timers and rejecting the odd call!

malcolmgt

ClioSport Club Member
  MK Golf GTI
My apple watch 1 is good just the activity app drains it I find.

They claim a lot of things about apple products lol. Looks good though, would get the NIKE one if I didn't have the 1. :)

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I have the Apple Watch 1 42mm stainless steel with leather strap, have done since Christmas last year.

There are two big things...

1. It makes you look slow, like you're taking 20 seconds to check the time.
2. You look incredibly rude. Say you're talking to someone and your wrist buzzes, you can't help but look. Then it looks like you're checking the time when talking to others.

Size wise, 42mm is good for blokes. The small one is for girls, literally.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Get the larger 42mm model, the larger screen is easier to read and the battery is bigger, so lasts longer, if you can't wear a watch for work then the 38mm one is still a no no anyway?