ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Apple Watch Thread

Listerine & Poledo
But at least an Omega will be worth something in 3 years.
Good luck to anyone trying to offload a 3yr old iWatch with a 30 minutes battery and not enough beans to run the latest OS.

I've yet to find a Seamaster that stops being able to understand how to tell time :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Oh yeah, because Apple device lol

I really couldn't give a s**t about it which is why i wear it whilst working on cars. I paid for Apple Care + so want my moneys worth.

I agree with what @MicKPM has said, the sport watch is a justifiable (somehow?) amount to spend on some new tech, but for what it does you would be annoyed at spending 3x the amount on the same watch for it to do nothing more than the cheap one.

Oh and you chose the best colour too :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'm doing a little experiment with my watch today. I've gone nearly all weekend without a charge (it got 20mins yesterday afternoon) and I'm on 21% battery with a full day to go... Let's see how good this "power reserve" feature is.

Listerine & Poledo
I am imagining it shuts the whole watch down to some "Casio IR watch, lite edition" clone.
Where it tells the time, but can't change the channel on the TV

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yeah it did but I got thru the day on 3-4% consumption

I find myself constantly being told by people that I've wasted my money though... They look at me funny though when I tell them to f**k off.

An orange one
These still don't even come near my "want list" in fact I've racked my brains and the only possible use I can find it would be useful for is strava when I'm out on my mtb, could have a quick check etc without stopping and getting my phone out.
But I can check my phone for free.. Even its just an old 5S now.

Im slowly starting to find Apple fantastically un-cool, their shops are full of weirdos that assume it's a cool place to hang out, and yet the iPhone and iPad are brilliant, devices that changed this generation tbh.

Listerine & Poledo
Yeah it did but I got thru the day on 3-4% consumption

I find myself constantly being told by people that I've wasted my money though... They look at me funny though when I tell them to f**k off.
Well, it is a waste of good pennies.
But they are your pennies to do with as you wish..

Until Labour gets back in power and we all have to queue for bread

Cayman S Edition 1
Bought one of these last weekend. Do I need it? Not really, but it's a cool gadget. OS2 has added a few new features this week so it's getting better.

Even answered a call on it at home the other day as my phone was in the other room (but no I wouldn't do that in public).

I like the fact you can use Apple Pay on it, and the fitness part is great. Access to texts, email etc is quite handy and a new feature when it's plugged in at night turns it in to a bedside clock.

6/468 17poo
Whats everyones verdict? was looking at getting the £300 sport in black?

I have a 5S and instead of upgrading to a 6s was going to buy a watch instead and go on a cheap three unlimited data contract, worth it?

Cayman S Edition 1
I'd upgrade your phone first. The watch is a great gadget, but a faster phone would be my priority mate.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Got mine yesterday as a present from my fiancee. Haven't tried to mess about with it much yet - but in typical Apple fashion, even the unpacking of it is an 'experience'. Fancy boxes, opaque tabs - long, slender plastic inner case. None of it is needed, of course - but it just adds a bit more specialness to it.

The large rubber strap of the 42mm sport one I have has got to be THE comfiest watch strap I have ever worn.

Cayman S Edition 1
Is there really much difference from the 5S / 6/6s?
Its all personal preference mate. It does work absolutely fine with the 5S, but I prefer the 6 myself. My wife commented what a massive jump it was from her 5S to the 6S in performance and obviously you have a bigger screen.

Cayman S Edition 1
Forgot to add, the fitness feature is excellent. Having come from a Fitbit, I'm really impressed with Apple's attempt. Plus it reminds me every hour to get off my backside and walk around to achieve my daily goals:)

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I bought a 42mm SS with brown leather strap about 2 weeks ago (to me, from me).

I didn't need it, but fancied one.

Using it as a watch, with some additional functionality is how I'd look at it. I quite like it, my phone lives on silent so a little vibration on my wrist to tell me about email/texts/calls etc is nice. Then it's a quick glance at the screen to see if it's important.

I've not found any life changing apps yet. Train timetable is handy.

Cayman S Edition 1
How you getting on with it??
Still wearing it everyday. I find it most useful for fitness tracking but it great for ensuring I never miss calls / texts without always carrying the phone around. I have answered a call on it at home when I left the mobile upstairs, but it's not something I'd do in public;)

Honda. Tesla Someday
I considered the Apple watch but then decided that I'd wait for the next iteration and see what thats like.

Soooo instead I got the Pebble Steel, and I can honestly say that its incredible! Works flawlessly with my iPhone 6Plus and hasnt missed a beat! I absolutely love it and the battery is rated for 7 days but I mess about with it a lot so its lasted about 3-4 days for me.

Honestly brilliant. I paid £105 for it but its on sale right now at Currys and other places for £79.99. Seriously love it! Will be picking up the official metal strap too!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
I considered the Apple watch but then decided that I'd wait for the next iteration and see what thats like.

Soooo instead I got the Pebble Steel, and I can honestly say that its incredible! Works flawlessly with my iPhone 6Plus and hasnt missed a beat! I absolutely love it and the battery is rated for 7 days but I mess about with it a lot so its lasted about 3-4 days for me.

Honestly brilliant. I paid £105 for it but its on sale right now at Currys and other places for £79.99. Seriously love it! Will be picking up the official metal strap too!
Is it this one? >>> http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-...le-steel-smart-watch-silver-10078727-pdt.html

With the Apple Watch 2 on the horizon this year, I've also decided to wait, but the Pebble sounds like it might be a nice stop gap for cheaps.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I quite like the look of the new round Pebble watch...

150924-pebble-time-round-official-04.jpg

Looks quite 'normal' really!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Just not for me, it's quite basic, low res monochrome screen, quite chunky, wasn't really keen on it personally.
There was an Alcatel one next to it for the same price that 'looked' much better >>>

alcatel_watch_notifications-100579113-large.jpg

Reviews are average (aside from good battery life), it lacks apps & functionality, but again so does the Pebble, at this price point you won't get anything great IMO, for £79 though might be ok as an introduction to smart watches.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Just not for me, it's quite basic, low res monochrome screen, quite chunky, wasn't really keen on it personally.
There was an Alcatel one next to it for the same price that 'looked' much better >>>

alcatel_watch_notifications-100579113-large.jpg

Reviews are average (aside from good battery life), it lacks apps & functionality, but again so does the Pebble, at this price point you won't get anything great IMO, for £79 though might be ok as an introduction to smart watches.

Fair enough.

Remember though, Pebble steel now uses the Pebble time app - no more restrictions on number of apps you can install etc. It is fairly basic, yes, but I'd rather have long battery life and great notifications / decent apps instead of an Led screen with a mic that lasts less than a day lol.

Anyways, if you need to know anything else or have questions then feel free to ask me, whatever you buy tbh you'll be happy I'm sure.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Pebble have it nailed imo atm. Enough spec for what people actually want/need from a smart watch. Great notifications etc, brilliant battery life.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Fair enough.

Remember though, Pebble steel now uses the Pebble time app - no more restrictions on number of apps you can install etc. It is fairly basic, yes, but I'd rather have long battery life and great notifications / decent apps instead of an Led screen with a mic that lasts less than a day lol.

Anyways, if you need to know anything else or have questions then feel free to ask me, whatever you buy tbh you'll be happy I'm sure.
Just looked & felt dated and yes I know you can install the timeline OS now, but I think I want a touch screen, colour, etc, so whilst I agree it's great for the money, for me personally I wasn't keen.
That's the thing about the Alcatel watch, excellent battery life, but it's basic, might get one for Argos so I can play and send it back if it sucks LOL.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Picked one up from Argos on my way home, currently on charge, will play with it over the weekend and if it's crap it will go back, but reading a few owner reviews, as a basic smart watch for £79 most people seem happy with it.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Aside from the music controls, which aren't great, the rest of the watch I like, gives me notifications (vibrates) for various things (email, Facebook, Whatsapp, calendar, etc), health & sleep monitoring, camera control, customisable faces (via the phone app), bright colour screen, etc, I've also just discovered it also allows you to reject calls, which you can't do from the iPhone itself.

I wish it would do more stuff, but for the price you can't grumble, looks more expensive than it was, very Moto 360-ish, seems that in the U.S. you can get one with a metal band, rather than the rubber one in the UK, which would be nicer, although the rubber strap is comfortable on the arm.

It's clearly no Apple watch though, but it's less watch for less money and there aren't currently many alternatives, Android users have far more choice, so for £79 this is a good introduction to the world of smart watches IMO.

A few custom faces I found >>> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bco3bnle1ws51hf/AABiEr6DdhtCT_PZE_jQ0uuja?dl=0

Honda. Tesla Someday
Aside from the music controls, which aren't great, the rest of the watch I like, gives me notifications (vibrates) for various things (email, Facebook, Whatsapp, calendar, etc), health & sleep monitoring, camera control, customisable faces (via the phone app), bright colour screen, etc, I've also just discovered it also allows you to reject calls, which you can't do from the iPhone itself.

I wish it would do more stuff, but for the price you can't grumble, looks more expensive than it was, very Moto 360-ish, seems that in the U.S. you can get one with a metal band, rather than the rubber one in the UK, which would be nicer, although the rubber strap is comfortable on the arm.

It's clearly no Apple watch though, but it's less watch for less money and there aren't currently many alternatives, Android users have far more choice, so for £79 this is a good introduction to the world of smart watches IMO.

A few custom faces I found >>> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bco3bnle1ws51hf/AABiEr6DdhtCT_PZE_jQ0uuja?dl=0

Rubber band?? Which one did you buy?

I have the Pebble Steel (comes with a leather band) - and you can buy an optional steel bracelet for it (£25 ish).

Btw you can reject calls on the iPhone (double press the sleep/wake button) - just so you know :)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Rubber band?? Which one did you buy?

I have the Pebble Steel (comes with a leather band) - and you can buy an optional steel bracelet for it (£25 ish).

Btw you can reject calls on the iPhone (double press the sleep/wake button) - just so you know :smile:
I bought the Alcatel One Touch watch, as per my previous post >>> http://watch.alcatelonetouch.com/

The strap is not 'just' a strap on this watch, it contains the USB charging connection and NFC point, but the black & red rubber strap is surprisingly comfortable, it's been on my arm pretty much since I got it, including at night (sleep monitoring) and you don't really notice it's there!

Battery life is looking promising, it's been on the go day & night all weekend I've still got about half power left, despite me messing with it a lot more than normal with it being new, so that's good news.

Never knew you could reject a call on the iPhone that way, I normally just silence them though, so they don't think they were rejected LOL, but nice to be able to do it from the watch, if I ever want to. :up:

Honda. Tesla Someday
I bought the Alcatel One Touch watch, as per my previous post >>> http://watch.alcatelonetouch.com/

The strap is not 'just' a strap on this watch, it contains the USB charging connection and NFC point, but the black & red rubber strap is surprisingly comfortable, it's been on my arm pretty much since I got it, including at night (sleep monitoring) and you don't really notice it's there!

Battery life is looking promising, it's been on the go day & night all weekend I've still got about half power left, despite me messing with it a lot more than normal with it being new, so that's good news.

Never knew you could reject a call on the iPhone that way, I normally just silence them though, so they don't think they were rejected LOL, but nice to be able to do it from the watch, if I ever want to. :up:

Ahhhh ok! lol

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Had to charge it last night, so that was 3 full days of use, with 2 nights of sleep monitoring as well, pretty good for the first full charge and with me not messing with it so much now I might get another day.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
My Microsoft Band's battery has taken a turn for the worst after less than a year of usage! I just chuck it on the charger as soon as I get in each day. To be honest I'd rather just charge every day than 2-3 because then you have to wonder if it's going to last etc... by doing it every day it becomes a simple routine that always lasts the night and day. Of course, I wouldn't moan at a once a week rather than once a day charge!