ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The American Dream - My Knight Rider KITT Project :-)

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Right folks not updated in a while so here we go......
Cars all booked in for its respray on the 9th of April so the crappy black on white paintjob he came with will soon be a thing of the past! Here is the last pic taken of him before he goes off next week!!!
100_1739.jpg

Got a lot more bits and bats done too recently, the welding is all but finished now and just some finicky bits to do, the exhaust is finally looking better and just needs properly sealing up!
Some more KITT related parts have arrived recently too! His new season 2 style voicebox :-
100_1721.jpg

His bowling ball hubcaps (just need painting):-
100_1719.jpg

New correct coloured bucket seats for the back:-
100_1716.jpg

Finished painting the interior parts (thankyou halfords for actually stocking up on Ford Tuscan Beige!) :-
100_1715.jpg

Overhead control console (still needs buttons and lights) :-
100_1717.jpg

New rear LED indicators (bugger to fit) :-
100_1732.jpg

Countdown lights for the top of the dash :-
100_1723.jpg

And of course the dash electronics which I have taken some close ups of! :-
100_1730.jpg

100_1729.jpg

100_1728.jpg

100_1727.jpg

100_1726.jpg

100_1725.jpg

Sadly the actual dash is yet to be fixed (thanks to the w*****s at Parcel2go's customer service department being w**k!) and still looks like this :_
100_1718.jpg

Next updates will be in a couple of weeks when he is freshly painted and then I can FINALLY start putting the interior back together!
Thanks for reading guys!

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Will look a million times better when hes painted! Still waiting on led brake light bulbs to arrive as when I get a smoked glass blackout on they will need to be super super bright! Ordered em weeks ago!
Managed to get a second hand scanner today for a tenner, needs re wiring but that's no biggy :) mine has sticking relays sometimes so needed replacing!
Hopefully getting some nice matching rear seats from the states shortly too! Finally feels like I'm making progress!

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
That's my mate stu's car lol. It's epic. He's helpin me install my dash and electronics when the time comes!

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
That's my mate stu's car lol. It's epic. He's helpin me install my dash and electronics when the time comes!

What are the chances of this being your mates lol - surley this would save you alot of work and money buying one ready made ???

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Yeah it would in the long run but it wouldn't be MY KITT then. This one has had my blood sweat and tears put into it, and tbh the conversion community is so massive that I can get assistance with practically every aspect!
Stu's car is what mine is aspiring to be eventually lol

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
You're really moving along with this now, at this rate it'll be ready for the summer.

I'd love to have one of these. :evil:

135087d1311220069-ford-mad-max-interceptor-prototype-25866001madmax_car.jpg

Although sod building it, i'd cheat and buy one ready done. :eek: Laziness ftw.

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
There's so many scenes in Knight Rider where if you pause it you can see the poor car break! On one he smashes into the ground so hard his red scanner light flys off and shoots across the frame ha ha! So many shots of his nose cone snapping and the wheels buckling lol. There was a you tube vid but can't find it lol

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
You're really moving along with this now, at this rate it'll be ready for the summer.

I'd love to have one of these. :evil:

135087d1311220069-ford-mad-max-interceptor-prototype-25866001madmax_car.jpg

Although sod building it, i'd cheat and buy one ready done. :eek: Laziness ftw.

Plan is to have it fully functional by August for my birthday and he's already booked to appear at a wedding in October lol

Mork of Ork

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Passat R-Line
That's the only TV car I saw do jumps/stunts and not snap on landing.
Yeah although in the bit of the intro where he jumps in front of a 911 the front wheels have some very odd camber after he lands.

The General Lee was really bad for that, they wrecked tons during the making of the show.

Trophy #473
The Fibreglass unit across the way from where I work has a full rep in there workshop, the number plate is H1 0N TV.

Ph2 172 MB 77/468
first time ive clicked on this thread since you bought the car, not sure why,.

i now have a massive urge to watch knightrider..

53 Clio's & counting
Looks like it's coming along well mate - definately something I would love to do some day - I even went as far as putting a deposit on a non converted one a few years ago, but budget was not on my side.

Will be a big step to see the dash in :)

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Nah just removed and stored, all the weatherstripping and rubber seals were fubar'd so had to come off to get to the rust underneath lol. Need to order some more once he comes back from being sprayed!

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
It's looking good but still doesn't quite look the part yet,
respray should transform it along with the bowling ball wheels, can't wait to see it. :approve:

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
It's looking good but still doesn't quite look the part yet,
respray should transform it along with the bowling ball wheels, can't wait to see it. :approve:

Bowling balls are goin straight on when he comes back :) they needed spraying the same black so have gone with him! It's all coming together now!

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Right folks. Now he's being sprayed I have a question. What the hell do I do once he's back home to protect and ensure the long life of the new paint? He's coming back on a low loader all the way from Hull so he's gonna be filthy no doubt when he gets back :( what do I need to do to protect his paint once he's back home and in my lock up?
I'm guessing a very gentle and careful two bucket wash to start with?

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Well Kitt is finally back from respray. Not had a chance to get decent pics yet as its been shite weather wise but he looks tonnes better!
1f4a8f35-1528-f357.jpg

Had some major wiring problems since he's come back :( where the bodyshop took him apart the wiring got damaged I think as the central locking and rear brake lights don't currently work but will investigate that later. Paint is still looking a bit rough tbqh. It was a cheap respray but I'm not 100% happy with the finish. Looks like it hasn't been cut or polished properly I think :-/ it's better so much than before as the body is now solid and sealed but the finish is bothering me. Bonnets ace. As are doors but wings and bumper look dull. Might be okay after a good polish and that but shall wait and see

In other news the low loader we hired to transport him amused me. With its gear knob.
1f4a8f35-160d-6164.jpg

Anyone else seeing a horses ****? Lol!!

Next job once wiring is fixed is to fit the taillight blackout, then get the standard interior back in. Overlays for dash electronics are being produced as we speak. Dash needs repairing still though which is a pain but it's all coming together :) more updates ASAP!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If it was me, see a detailer about wetsanding and polishing. Should iron out any orange peel in the defects.

And remember, buy cheap, buy twice!

Get some pictures up mate, a cheap respray is always risky on something with rust or other serious defects, hope it turns out ok once its detailed, its how long it lasts thats the key point, most paint finishes that are poor can be detailed to a half decent standard.....aslong as the paint doesnt fail.