ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tapping from left had side of engine

1.2 Renault clio
IMG_5837.jpeg

My car is tapping at idle and with rpm around this location, any ideas of what it could be because I’m going crazy lol.

(I used one of them listening things to figure out where it was coming from it’s it’s the loudest within the white circle)

Thanks.

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green1.2
Usually the valves are tappy on top

When was the belt/tensioner last done?

Is the engine side cover/mount torqued up correctly?

1.2 Renault clio
Usually the valves are tappy on top

When was the belt/tensioner last done?

Is the engine side cover/mount torqued up correctly?
I believe I got it done a while ago but even then it’s been tapping befor I even got it done, sent it in to get the valves checked and they are fine(even tested it myself and they’re to spec)

Quite on the right hand side but loud on the upper left where the motor mount is. I have no idea what it could be, sounds like a chain tensioner is faulty but the df4 is a belt ain’t it.

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green1.2
Yes belt plus idler pulley as you say. If it isn't valves it could potentially be carbon cannister, worth unplugging to make sure its not that causing the noise (it will throw an error code when unplugged)

I would tighten up the engine mount bolts to spec as well just to be sure

Do you have a video/audio of the noise? My 1.2 is a little tappy but nothing I have ever worried about
There have been lots of posts on the forum about tappy 1.2s and that's because they just are, even when they are in spec

1.2 Renault clio
Yes belt plus idler pulley as you say. If it isn't valves it could potentially be carbon cannister, worth unplugging to make sure its not that causing the noise (it will throw an error code when unplugged)

Do you have a video/audio of the noise? My 1.2 is a little tappy but nothing I have ever worried about
There have been lots of posts on the forum about tappy 1.2s and that's because they just are, even when they are in spec
Yeah I think it’s worth a try, but mine is petrol so I’m unsure if the petrol ones have that canister. But I’ll deffo search it up and have a look because I’ll try anything at this point lol.(and I’ll go round torquing bolts near the noise).

And I will deffo get a video of it soon and try and post it in this thread,(new to the forms unsure on how it all work yet lol)

Like you’ll understand when I post a video, it’s nothing major at all it’s just very annoying and it’s making me feel bad for using it while it taps.

Plus I think the 02 sensors are faulty as I believe the car is running not rough but… lumpy on idle, like it really wants to cut out but it manages to stay alive, so I don’t know if that will make a tapping noise due to I don’t know, un burnt fuel, less stopping power for the pistons and it tops out at the top of the engine causing a tap.

But yeah I’ll get a video soon lmaooooo.

1.2 Renault clio

I’m not 100% sure if I’ve uploaded that properly but can you hear it? It’s driving me insane lmao.

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green1.2
It does sound like something could be loose, or something is knocking into something else 🤔

Was it the same before the work was done on the engine?

I have a different 1.2 engine in mine (D4F) and it doesn't make such a noise

How long ago was your last engine belts service and how much mileage has been covered since then

1.2 Renault clio
It does sound like something could be loose, or something is knocking into something else 🤔

View attachment 1693866

How long ago was your last engine belts service and how much mileage has been covered since then
You know what thinking about it now, I believe it’s the original factory belt….. you might have solved this lmaoo. I’ve just looked at my receipts and the only belt I’ve had changed is the cam belt and water pump at the same time. I’m guessing that’s the belt on the outside of the engine and you’re talking about the one that keeps the engine in time with that wheel tensioner.?

I think it’s worth getting that replaced and hope for the best, I’m sure it’ll need changing anyway as I have no record of when it was last done.
Would you know the recommended mileage you can get out of one of them?.

1.2 Renault clio
S

View attachment 1693866

orry I just realise he should’ve replaced it… he replaced my cam belt and the cam belt is basically the timing belt ain’t it? I’ll take the cover off tomorrow and have a look I guess.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
What version of the 1.2 engine is this?

The area you’ve circled in white above is the water pump.

1.2 Renault clio
Apply some pressure to the engine mount and any other rails/covers around the area and see if it quietens down before taking apart
Thanks,

Yeah still ticks when applying pressure, the cam belt/tensioner is new as I’ve just took the mount and cover off to look. Started the engine up and I couldn’t hear any noise or see anything wrong with the belt/camgear.

Seems like the tick is coming from behind the cam gear so it’s probably a worn valve/rocker exc.

I’ll upload some photos and videos soon to try help other people helping me figure it out hahahahaha.

IMG_5858.jpeg

IMG_5856.jpeg

IMG_5854.jpeg

1.2 Renault clio
What version of the 1.2 engine is this?

The area you’ve circled in white above is the water pump.
Not 100% sure tbh mate as I’ve got the manual and it don’t show my style of engine, in the manual there’s a 1.6 that also states the 1.4 is similar to the 1.6. Mine looks exactly like the 1.6 photo in the manual. Big air box covering the top of the engine.

To my best of my knowledge it’s a 1.2 df4 2008 extreme Clio model. If you know of any way to pin point the exact engine name please let me know and I’ll get straight back to you lol.

Thanks.

(I don’t think the photo I used was the right engine I was just using that as a reference 👍🏻)