ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Symptoms of incorrect timing

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
What are the most likely things i'd notice if the cam belt timing on my engine was wrong and is it likely to change with engine temparature?

M

mini-valver

It wouldn't be temprature dependant. Timing being out would cause bad idle, non starting, severe missfire.

Whats the problem mate?

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
The car is trying to put me in early grave!!!!! Basically When you start the car it runs pretty much lovely if a bit fast and but pretty much the moment the car reaches running temparature it cuts out dead. It then really struggles to restart "popping and bacfireing" and once running ticks over at around 3k. The revs also take a long time to resettle after being reved. I had another 172 valver come over today to help out and we swapped every sensor etc including the ecu between cars and nothing improved it leading me to believe that if the problem isn't with the fueling it must be with the timing.

It's really starting to wear me down

LY 182
sounds like an air leak to me.... somewhere in the inlet manifold.

temp dependant as it all expands when its hot

you swapped the crank sensor yeah?

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Yeah we fitted a new crank sensor, might be worth spraying a bit of brake cleaner about to try to find if there's an air leak.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Coolant temp sensor is a new one annoyingly and the fella who popped over today also had a decoded ecu so we fitted that and it made no difference at all this is why i'm at my wits end i'm pretty much all out of ideas.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
That crossed my mind tonight so i'm gonna check it over tomorrow evening. Thing is it's so clinical you can pretty much tell exactly when it's gonna do it on the temp guage.

Clio 172
i've had a problem like this with a car a while ago, it turned out it was the spark plugs. faulty spark plugs would explain all the problems you've described. not saying its a definate but a possibility. hope you get it sorted mate.

172 Race Car
For referance when i discovered my cambelt timing was out the car actually idled Better than the very slghtly lumpy idle that they normaly have. Ran perfectly smoothly through out but was down on power by 20-30bhp

As said does sound coolant temp sensor related, especialy if it happens at an exact point in the warm up. But with sensors and engine management you never know. It could be So many things. Idle speed control valve, air leak, or even map sensor maybe

340i
Probably not the cause... but I had very similar problems when my throttle cable was on its way out!!

high idle, bogging down/jerking once warm, revs felt really slow and it was only once the car had warmed up?!!?

After fitting a new one the car felt completely different, much more eager and all the rev/idle related problems where cured :D

Only £18 for a new cable, did you fit new when installing the engine?

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Cheers for all the help fella's I really want to get to the bottom of all this so i can get back to the shiny exciting bits of the project and stuff worth posting on the thread. Noone seems to think it's down to the timing and as it's so clinical and temperature related i think the first port of call could be to take a serious look at the way we wired in the temperature guage and see if it might be interfering with the ecu's signal.