ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Straight Swap for 182 standard CD to one with MP3

Quick question for ICE experts here...

Looking to pull out the standard Radio/ Single CD player that comes with the 182 Trophy and put in a replacement that will play MP3 tracks burned onto CD's.

Is there a model that will be a straight swap rather than having to buy adaptors as mentioned in other similar posts ? Idealy I would like the stalk controls to work and Display unit to work too.

Not interested in an expensive ICE setup, just something that works and is of equal or better sound quality than the original.

Thanks in advance !

DH

Clio 172mk2
no all after market headunits comes with iso connections, so u will always require a wireing adapter for it.

for the head display to display some thing other than a manufacturers name , theres only a couple of head units that do this.

unless renault have ever done a clio limited edition with a mp3 player ( e.g mtv version, or somet like that) yer looking to do the above

but persnally iits a piece of piss with the adapters hardest part is sqaushin em in so the hd slides back

williams 2 turbo
the only headunits, i believe that work from experience are sony or alpine. as for the iso bit, renault radios are iso so should go sraight in, the only problem is the harness, that connects the stalks as this can be a bugger.

182 - conneries de c
I've been looking at the Kenwood range for a replacement for my stock 182 headunit.

The majority of the headunits that Kenwood make have the ability to use the existing stalk controls but the information I have gathered only states that the OEM display works with Vauxhall vehicles only?

I have emailed Kenwood to see what they say about my vehicle. I'll let you know what they come back with.

Thanks for the suggestions guys...

Spoke to the dealer today and he said that there is an option to get an MP3 unit on the new model clio which will be available in the new few weeks, he is checking whether its a straight swap with the one in mine.

As a bonus the unit is capable of talking to an Ipod too !

I will update you as soon as I find out.

If anyone else has any more ideas on my original question that would be great too.

thanks guys

DH

Clio 182
Im in the same boat but i cant imagine what Renault would charge for a MP3 headunit i think i will just buy a alpine one.

182 - conneries de c
Hi,

I was looking at a Kenwood headunit and asked the question regarding the display on my 182 they recommend that I look at -

www.incartec.co.uk

as they do an adaptor which will do both the stalk controls and display the basic functions of the headunit for most popular makes of headunits.

Yet to get a price and further info but looks promising.

Clio 200 FF Cupped
DieHard said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys...

Spoke to the dealer today and he said that there is an option to get an MP3 unit on the new model clio which will be available in the new few weeks, he is checking whether its a straight swap with the one in mine.

As a bonus the unit is capable of talking to an Ipod too !

I will update you as soon as I find out.

If anyone else has any more ideas on my original question that would be great too.

thanks guys

DH

Be interested to hear about this, sounds like a good option to me as i'm desperate to get mp3 capability but like to keep things as standard as pos.

However it will almost certainly be pretty overpriced, and looking at the interior pics on the renault site, the new clio's stereo looks more integrated than the 182's and also a bit larger, so possibly not a straight swap. Be ideal if it was though.

quick update....

Spoke to the delaer again today and he said that the prices for the new clio model MP3 head units havent been released yet, but because it wouldnt be a factory install, he thought it would cost about £200 from the dealer.

I mentioned that you can buy a cracking head unit for that kind of money and then he blurted out... "Yeah, it will probably be way better quality that the Renault one too".

Hardly worth swapping for a Renault one, if the quality is going to be as poor as the 182 standard unit, so I have ordered the above Sony unit.

Thanks for all of your help in this thread, much appreciated.