ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting problems (Mk1 1149cc)

Works...kind of...

Im having problems with my 1997 Clio. Starting from cold its fine. Its when its hot is when I have the problem. I have to give it 3/4 trys before it starts. At first I thought it was the alternator, but it turns over fine (not lagging etc) and also I checked the battery voltages and they read correctly.

Im now thinking its the ICV (if there is one lol). This is because its been stalling on idle rather often, this started occuring a week or so after the starting problems.

Can anyone confirm this as a probable cause please? and post a pic or describe the location of the ICV.

Cheers, Chris.

[Edited by 2thumbs on 8/18/2005 8:59:02 PM]

Works...kind of...

Anybody? I only need this confirmed... Or infact any other thoughts as to why its happening.

i have the same problem, ive got a mk1 phase 3 aswell.

Mine was the starter motor, when i turned the key nothing happend for a while, found out that if u slam the bonnet
shut wen turnin the key it jerks the starter motor and it starts, quite hard to do tho lol.
I got someone to look at it for me and the tightened all the connections for me and hasnt done it since.

But mine also stalls when idle and ive no idea why...il keep an eye on this thread incase sum1 knows!

Doddy

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member

If this is the little diet engine then i would proberly go for a throttle body clean or a new one (cost around £200 from renault) i work for renault have seen one like this the other day stalling at idle this fault can show up on clip plus the fault with starter motor wiring was poor connection on the solnoed connecter.

Hope this helps

None

If it cuts out in idle its most prob the icv. J3ned can get a second hand one for around £80. Replaced mine it its never cut out since