ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sport bumper on 1.2, "declined".

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I recently picked up a rear sport bumper for my 1.2 and had been hoping to get this fitted today. Rang up my insurers as I had to change my overnight address anyway and asked them how much it would cost me additionally for the rear bumper. It's basically identical to the 1.2 one and is literally just cosmetic, but they told me that the application for modification would be denied as it would have to go through as a "whole bodykit". This just seems ridiculous to me as the bumper is near identical, provides little additional value to the car and is not anywhere near a "whole bodykit" as it's a Clio standard part albeit for a sport...

I was wondering whether there were any other ways for me to go about this? I am half tempted to ring up again tomorrow and send pictures to compare the two side by side so they understand better as to be more lenient? Or would this be useless? I am only 20 and this is my first car, but i'm no boy racer but i suppose they wont see it like that...

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
No way to resolve it apart from move insurance. I'll be honest, you'll get no where ringing up the insurer you're with saying 'but it is just a bumper, please, it only looks a bit different'.

Just accept it won't happen with your current insurer, it'll already be on their system that you enquired and just wait until you have enough driving experience (I think?) to get it added.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just do it anyway, carry the 1.2 bumper around in the boot. If you crash quickly change it back before the insurance men see or the police arrive.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Just do it anyway, carry the 1.2 bumper around in the boot. If you crash quickly change it back before the insurance men see or the police arrive.
Or rip it off, throw it in the nearest canal and say someone stole it and that you need to make a claim.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The RenaultSport bumper wouldn't fit properly anyway without using the wider wings that then connect to the different side skirts though, would it?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Did you ask how much it would increase if you fitted the WHOLE BODYKIT. im sure that wouldnt be too much more if not the same as just the rear bumper.
Most people probably wouldnt have told the insurance as 999 ot of 1000 people wouldnt know the difference between the rear sports bumper and the standard one.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
They wouldn't insure me on the whole bodykit at all. I was actually looking to build a complete replica as I already have drivers wing, front bumper, rear bumper. Just need passenger wing and both skirts... It's only cost me about £10 for all these parts so far.

I just dont want to get fucked over by my insurers if the worst came to the worst and I did have a bump hence me asking them in the first place. I was told i'll have to wait until renewal, but I tried it on go compare as a "whole bodykit" and my insurance was more than that on a 182...

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
They wouldn't insure me on the whole bodykit at all. I was actually looking to build a complete replica as I already have drivers wing, front bumper, rear bumper. Just need passenger wing and both skirts... It's only cost me about £10 for all these parts so far.

I just dont want to get fucked over by my insurers if the worst came to the worst and I did have a bump hence me asking them in the first place. I was told i'll have to wait until renewal, but I tried it on go compare as a "whole bodykit" and my insurance was more than that on a 182...

They're standard Clio parts.

"Sorry Mr Insurer, my bumper had a big scratch so I bought a new bumper from a Clio to replace it, I didn't even realize they were different"

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member

"Sorry Mr Insurer, my bumper had a big scratch so I bought a new bumper from a Clio to replace it, I didn't even realize they were different"

To be fair though, would I be able to get away with that with a full rep? Doubtful...

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member

To a certain extent this is fairly true as the PO had scraped both front and rear bumpers on walls... So was my main inclination to actually repping it as I may aswell buy nicer looking parts if i'm having to spend money anyway.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

To be fair though, would I be able to get away with that with a full rep? Doubtful...

Don't say:

"I want a 182 kit, you know, the RenaultSport model, I want to make a replica of a RenaultSport model because I'm badmanz"

and instead go with:

"I need a new bumper, but a new part from Renault is more money than the car is worth. But I'm not sure the local breakers will have the exact replacement since there are so many different Clio models- basically the grill might look different, but I don't want to have a total loss claim and then the underwriter question it"

and see what they say. If it still needs to be declared as a body kit then that's that. But they might say "Ok sir, you won't need to declare it as long as it's a Renault part but just not an exact replacement" and that's you sorted.

I'm not saying lie to your insurer, but the people on the phone you speak to will think you're a ned if you call, and start trying to impress them with what you've got planned for the car so you need to be careful about how you say things.

Just don't come back here in 2 months when an officer having a bad day picks you up on it.

I spoke to a few people in the field back when I had my rep, and the consensus is, they're Renault parts.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Don't say:

"I want a 182 kit, you know, the RenaultSport model, I want to make a replica of a RenaultSport model because I'm badmanz"

and instead go with:

"I need a new bumper, but a new part from Renault is more money than the car is worth. But I'm not sure the local breakers will have the exact replacement since there are so many different Clio models- basically the grill might look different, but I don't want to have a total loss claim and then the underwriter question it"

and see what they say. If it still needs to be declared as a body kit then that's that. But they might say "Ok sir, you won't need to declare it as long as it's a Renault part but just not an exact replacement" and that's you sorted.

I'm not saying lie to your insurer, but the people on the phone you speak to will think you're a ned if you call, and start trying to impress them with what you've got planned for the car so you need to be careful about how you say things.

Sounds like a good idea. When I did speak to them yesterday all I said was I was just enquiring as to how much modifications would actually cost me to insure. I then went on to ask how much it would be for a rear clio sport bumper to be fitted would be and after being put on hold was told separate parts couldn't be added and it would have to be a "full bodykit".

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Fair play to you for being honest mate, a lot of people (including myself) wouldn't have told them.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Fair play to you for being honest mate, a lot of people (including myself) wouldn't have told them.
I would probably have gotten slagged off if I asked whether it was worth me declaring mods on here, so it could've gone either way!

I'll give them another ring tomorrow in regards to replacing "like for like" with standard clio parts and see how they go about it. If in doubt, play dumb.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I would probably have gotten slagged off if I asked whether it was worth me declaring mods on here, so it could've gone either way!

I'll give them another ring tomorrow in regards to replacing "like for like" with standard clio parts and see how they go about it. If in doubt, play dumb.

There's mods and then theres mods :p I also wouldn't declare fitting Alloys etc,.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
When I was your age I would have just fitted the thing without even giving the insurance a second thought, as it's still a Renault part that's for a Clio.