ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spax Coilovers

DC5

Are spax coilovers any good?

The majority have recommended getting FK or H&R coilovers. How do Spax compare?

My uncle has spoken to Demon Tweaks about what coilovers they have got, as he gets discount, and they have said they have just had some new Spax coilovers come in.

Does anybody know anything about these or if they are any good? He can get them for about £650. Is that a good price?

All comments / opinions welcome.

Lionel Richie

thats VERY expensive, my experiences with SPAX arent very good, even the quality of some of their gear is a bit suspect

defo go for one of the German brands H&R of FK, tried and tested by a lot of people on this site

DC5

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 11 August 2005

thats VERY expensive, my experiences with SPAX arent very good, even the quality of some of their gear is a bit suspect

defo go for one of the German brands H&R of FK, tried and tested by a lot of people on this site
He said it is a new kit that they have only just got it. But I think that has swung it for me.

I have found some FKs without the adjutable damping for £628. Sounds like it may be the better option.

172 cup'd extreme

the spax rear dampers are crap they knock like anything and there is no fix for it they just give you new dampers

Mazda MX5 1.8

Quote: Originally posted by Bezza4 on 11 August 2005

He said it is a new kit that they have only just got it. But I think that has swung it for me.

I have found some FKs without the adjutable damping for £628. Sounds like it may be the better option.

You can get them a hell of a lot cheaper than that!!!

you can get them for around £450 if you shop around (although i cant remember the name of the place)

cant really go wrong with the fks. ive got on very well with mine! i even managed to fit them by myself (with the help of my dad)

Stop being a cheapskate ;) Cut down on another vice for a couple of months and put the extra towards them, its well worth it!

DC5

Its the gfs birthday in a couple of weeks. May be I should just not buy her n e thin and put that extra money to H&Rs then:D

Again, get Gaz, there relatively cheap and easily within your budget.

The likes of you and me wouldnt benefit from having the more expensive brands i.e FKs/H&Rs etc

I had GAZ on my Mk1 172 and it was amazing how much they transformed the car, have just bought another set for the Willified Valver

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

actually smokey, if you want a decent ride, then the H&Rs win pretty much every time. I personally wouldnt go near Gaz after what a mate is going through and what some people on here have said.

FKs arent very expensive btw.

16v_jon, i thought the noisy rear spax dampers were just from a bad batch? ive had mine replaced and theyre spot on...

172 cup'd extreme

Quote: Originally posted by Friction on 11 August 2005

16v_jon, i thought the noisy rear spax dampers were just from a bad batch? ive had mine replaced and theyre spot on...
Yours will be ok for a while then BAM i have 4 sets in 5000 miles

DC5

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 11 August 2005

Again, get Gaz, there relatively cheap and easily within your budget.

The likes of you and me wouldnt benefit from having the more expensive brands i.e FKs/H&Rs etc

I had GAZ on my Mk1 172 and it was amazing how much they transformed the car, have just bought another set for the Willified Valver

I know you say the GAZ kits are OK, but nobody else seems to have recommended them. I dont want to spend £500+ and then be disappointed. You might have just got a good set.

They arent that much cheaper then the FKs, which the majority have recommended.

Are these the FKs that people would recommend getting?

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1383http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1383

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

Quote: Originally posted by 16v_jon on 11 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Friction on 11 August 2005

Yours will be ok for a while then BAM i have 4 sets in 5000 miles
hmmmm, the first set were dodgy when i got them (noisey, and seemed stuck on the stiffest setting), second set have been on for about 8k and no problems...

DC5

I am with privilege, and they r by far the cheapest. All the others were at least £200 more, so it doesnt really make sense to change.

Just well gutted now. I can upgrade the brakes as they said they wont class it is a mod, but thats about it. Ive got an induction kit on it at the moment which I havent told them about, but I thought lowering it would be a bit risky without tellin them.

Da

Less

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 11 August 2005

Dunno why i bother.

Im listening Smokey ;) Gonna look into Gaz myself instead of the H&R/Fks which I cant afford at the moment.