ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sony bravia v3000....40'' or 46''

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Thinking of upgrading from my current samsung 32'' panel to a bigger LCD.

I was going for the sony 40v3000 http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=14028

But now thinking of going for a 46'' version of the same model

The problem is im only about 7 - 8ft away ....Would you say a 46'' is just too big for Sky SD viewing from this distance?

Ive seen sky SD on the 40'' verison and was impressed by the quality......If i was to go with the bigger 46'' would the sky SD quality be worse becming pixelated + more motion blur?

Ill mostly be using it for Sky SD and 360.

Thanks

172 Cup
Sky SD on a 46" screen from 7' away is going to look gash to say the least.

Sky HD ftwtbqh..

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Yeah thought maybe so.....Think ill go for the 40'' model then:)

Rav4
I got sent a leaflet the other day at work from Dabs, X series 46" for £1300 inc VAT

:s but it's not on the website and cannot find the leaflet now!

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
46" always get the biggest you can. 40" will look small in 6 months, happened to me! W2000 40"

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
So are you guys with the 42+ LCDs running sky sd?

If so whats the quality like...Thats the only thing im worried about.....I dont want to go tooo big if the qualitys going to suffer from a 40''.

Still usnure on what to do get the 40'' or go for the 46'' with me being only 8ft away from the screen:S

172 Cup
So are you guys with the 42+ LCDs running sky sd?

If so whats the quality like...Thats the only thing im worried about.....I dont want to go tooo big if the qualitys going to suffer from a 40''.

Still usnure on what to do get the 40'' or go for the 46'' with me being only 8ft away from the screen:S

I've got a 42" Tosh 42C3030DB. "Some" SD stuff is ok where the bandwidth/compression used is favorable. That said Champions League football on ITV is a laughing stock and once you're used to HD material even the better SD channels look "average".

If you can get a full 1080P 46" for a decent price then I'd go for it. All I'm trying to emphasize is if you have no intention of getting a HD source then SD is going to look awful at that size (at that viewing distance).

Octy VRS
I have to disagree. If you are sitting that far away from a TV I wouldn't go over 40". I sit about 6 ft away and 32" is fine. My mate's 40" is about the same distance and I find it too big. Even after sitting there all night.

Also if you are considering the V series look at the D series. They are the same bar the style and 1 HDMI.

Last edited:
  172 Cup
I have to disagree. If you are sitting that far away from a TV I wouldn't go over 40". I sit about 6 ft away and 32" is fine. My mate's 40" is about the same distance and I find it too big. Even after sitting there all night.

Also if you are considering the V series look at the D series. They are the same bar the style and 1 HDMI.

Erm you just agreed with me?!?!?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
sd looks s**t on mine, not that bothered though, HD is unbelievable. how can a 32" look better the futher away you are?? don't get that.

the further away you are the less able your eye is to resolve detail so images look better its teh same reason 1080p isnt worth it on small screens you just cant see the detail !

Octy VRS

Erm you just agreed with me?!?!?
Not you, David!

yeh but how can a 32" look better than a 40" further away is what i meant.

because your eyes cant see the compression artifacts because your further away if you stand 6 ft away from a 32" and 6ft away from a 40" viewing teh same source the faults will be bigger and easier to see on a 40" as its a bigger screen

its quite simple really

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
oh right i kinda of thought you meant more than 6ft... in which case 40" is gonna be better if u see what i mean, nvm

182 FF & 306 Rallye
I've got a 40" v3000 and sit about 7-8ft away. SD does look a bit pants tbh especially on the more compressed channels.

Dont see the need to go bigger than 40" if you're not gonna be further away. Would look fine with an HD input though I guess. Blu-rays in 1080/24p mode are incredible.

I got my v3000 about a month ago from a Sony Centre for £1049, but it came with a 5 year warranty and a DAV-IS10 surround system that I stuck on ebay and sold for £310 :D

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Went for the 46'' in the end.....Not recieved it yet .....hopefully ive made the right decision.

Im now thinking of getting sky HD.

With there not being that many HD channels........Will the SD channels be any better on an HD sky box than a SD sky box?

Or are the HD channels the only ones which are going to look better?

Say like challenge on Sky will this look any different to what my current SD box is showing?

Thanks

A4 Avant
SD channels on Sky HD box look slightly better to me, but I put that down to the fact the box is connected via HDMI rather than rgb scart.

Sky HD really is great, watchin the chelsea match on it tonight, detail is amazin.