ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Someone crashed into me

Clio 1.2
Hi guys.

Was involved in a accident some man tried turning left on a roundabout using right hand lane when I was going straight over in the left hand lane. As I went past 1st exit he tried to do a left hit the rear and spun me round. Is this a write off the wheel is buckled.

549ef18a24d85c80331c7fe8015aa0e1.png
1c0b82cf6fceebf9722ca16a2cb6a63e.png

Thing is, insurance may view it as a £1200 car which with brand new parts & extortionate approved-repair-centre costs you could easily approach that figure once you account for a new wheel, bumper, fixing dent in rear quarter panel and paint. If the rear beam is bent (quite common depending on exact nature of impact) then will add a fair bit of labour time & obviously sourcing a beam.

Frankly you could cable tie the bumper in place (or get another from ebay), buy a new wheel, forget about the dent and it'd be 90% the same car and cost you £100.

A more interesting question is have you read the small print of your policy, i.e. are modifications replaced like-for-like.

Clio 1.2
Ill show you the full pictures. He admitted he was in wrong lane but i'm wrong because he signalled and I should of seen him do that. Luckily theres a local club on the roundabout and the doormen has said he will be a credible witness. Police attended and said I should win but he isn't going to admit liability.

41851d78042ec7574e8624b5e3e870ca.png
6fb3b9a8177881a06bb64b548dea9334.png

Clio 182 - RB
My old car had pretty much same damage, except i wasn't in my car it was parked on my drive and my neighbour reversed in to it some how (be11end!). He admitted full liability, they wrote the car off.

Clio 182 - RB
I also had 4 witnesses from passers by.. Insurance told me the repair would be worth more than the car.

Clio 1.2
As above. But roundabouts normally go 50/50 unfortunatley. Hope you win though chap.
Hopefully theres CCTV but with enough witnesses and the police writing the report saying he looks at fault and he admitted to them he was in wrong lane it should go in my favour.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
I would advise to make a claim and buy the car back but the insurance company will probably put the price at £1400 or repair it and charge £2000. The damage can be fixed easily. With a new (bare) rear beam you can make the car road worthy by transferring the brake components. Getting a garage to do this will cost about £120 for used rear beam.

Every thing else is cosmetic. I'd way up your options but remember, the payout will be a value for the car minus mods and minus the total excess.

Clio 1.2
I'm just going to ask the man if he wants to pay for the damage as the claims departmant has confirmed he is in the wrong. I cant be bothered with the risk of getting the car written off and waiting around.

SG 200
Insurance companies are a nightmare to deal with so hope the other guy will pay up.

He's also being a d**k if he's trying to claim he indicated and you should've let him go. Don't think so pal.

330i. E30 Touring.
But if you indicate, you therefore automatically have right of way, no?

Not in the slightest.

How can you prove you were indicating?

If the above was the case, you'd be able to drive like you owned the road, only using indicators correctly and nobody could touch you, no matter what your actions.

You drive by the rules of the road. Indicators do exactly what they suggest, they indicate your intended actions to other drivers. They shouldn't be treated as gospel.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
How much is a 1.2 of this age worth? That's got to be a write off? Hope 1*2 replica mods are declared!

My advice would be avoid insurance if possible.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Not in the slightest.

If the above was the case, you'd be able to drive like you owned the road, only using indicators correctly and nobody could touch you, no matter what your actions.

You drive by the rules of the road. Indicators do exactly what they suggest, they indicate your intended actions to other drivers. They shouldn't be treated as gospel.

I think he was being sarcastic.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Not in the slightest.

Thanks for making that clear! :p

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Not in the slightest.

This post takes on such an air of seriousness, importance, and hilariousness when read in the voice of Gareth Keenan.

Brilliant.

mk1 Octavia VRS
I'd expect it to be a write off. My Octavia was written off last year for rear end cosmetic damage. With rear quarter and suspension/structural damage it's even more likely it'll be written off.

Were your mods declared to your insurer? Hope you've got projector headlights for those HIDs otherwise they most likely dazzle oncoming drivers.
If everything declared then let your insurance handle it, else go to their insurer (and declare your mods to your insurer!).

You could have it repaired for a few hundred £ using second hand parts. If it gets written off you should be able to keep the car for a fraction of the valuation put on it (was 10% for me last year but does vary).

Where is the car now? Store it off the road yourself if you can.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I assume your premium next year will be significantly more than this year due to your non-fault accident?

In my experience it stayed the same, as it would've otherwise gone down so it cancelled out.

It'll probably be loaded, but not by much.

I stress the word probably, as it's insurance and we all know the prices are picked out of a hat.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Write off that. There's a bumper respray...£200 (add a new bumper if the fixings are fecked), a good £250 to repair that Qtr, + paint into the door (Night shots show a crap mismatch from a previous repair too)... £300 odd for the paint and prep there.

Wheel + Tyre ??? £350? Then it's gotta be painted to suit the rest, £50. Then god knows whats happened to the trailing arm behind.

If they offer you it back for £50-150 - snap it up!

172 cup
As GiT said, if offered buy it back. Cat D but keep pics if you sell it later on as it will prove have little the damage was. Hope you get it sorted!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I had similar damage to a car years ago which wasn't a Clio... but cost me £900 to put right. To be honest I wish I just scrapped the f**king thing as it wasn't worth a lot more than that!