ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some help with stereo wiring please!

2003 Clio 172 Cup
Right guys I only have very basic auto electric knowledge so your help would be really appreciated! Thanks

1) In the black ISO connector coming out of the dash I only have 5 wires going into it? Is this right? The light grey ISO connector has 8 wires and I understand this is for the speakers and is correct.

Stereo001.jpg

2) What is the thick black wire shown in the picture below and what should it be connected to? Is it an earth cable?

Stereo004.jpg

Thanks!

Clio 172 cup,
The connector looks right to me, its got the yellow and red which are live feeds, a black negative cable, I believe the two smaller cables control the stereo dim for when the lights are on and can't remember the other off hand, not too sure on the little black cable, has it been stripped down at all?

it could be the aerial feed possibly?

2003 Clio 172 Cup
I've got the aerial feed to the right of the photo, with the plug in adaptor on it so dont think the black cable is that. The black cable actually is thicker than it looks in the photo. It was just floating down in the back of the dash, so some one has chopped it at some point!

Off to Germany next month in the car and can't do a 1500 mile round trip with no tunes in a stripped out car! Got to get it fixed lol

172 cup- suzu rf600r
Is that not the earth that should go in behind the yellow power lead? If no one answers soon il pop out and take a pic of mine for ya

172 cup- suzu rf600r
I think it goes in the hole opposite the yellow wire, maybe look at the stereo going in see where the wire needs to be? Il pop up some pics in 20

172 cup- suzu rf600r
here ya go

photo(1).JPGphoto(2).JPG

goes opposite yellow, you can tell iv been in there a few times by my remembering that llf

2003 Clio 172 Cup
Thanks mate, appreciate you checking for me! When whoever cut the wire they cut it short so i'm gonna have to add a bit in with block connectors to get it to reach into the ISO plug. You reckon I need to solder it in to the ISO plug?

172 cup- suzu rf600r
Huh weird they cut it like that eh? Might be worth double checking it's the earth with a circuit tester

Best way would be to reattach it to the metal spade connector in the plug, if that's not present you could (if your putting in an aftermarket head unit) just cut the earth wire on the stereo side an attach it directly, but it wouldn't be as tidy and unless you put in a connector of some sort would be a pain to remove again

2003 Clio 172 Cup
Yea it is weird. I dont have a circuit tester unfortunately.

The spade connector is not present sadly, so I think I will attach it directly as you suggest using some block connectors. Weird thing is I have tried doing this and it still doesn't work? Maybe the connections I have made are not good enough or a fuse has gone? Will check the fuses......

Thanks for your help

172 cup- suzu rf600r
If the fuses and connections are ok next step is making sure that it really is the earth wire, you get a basic circuit tester (screwdriver with bulb in it) for a few quid if it is the earth and the powers coming through then it has to be the HU I reckon

Vee 6
Yeah that is your earth, Should go into the pin next to your heavy yellow, You may find that the head unit will be working when the aerial is plugged back in as it's pulling one from the outer part of the coax cable.

Not ideal, and running like that might generate a bit of electrical noise, If the bit in the plug is too short stick a crimped hoop on it and bolt it to the rear of the stereo that will do it.