ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky multiroom in a different property.

Audi A3
Currently got sky at my house.

Thinking of getting multiroom installed, but taking the box/card to my mums, would this work?

I've heard/read conflicting info.

The house has got all the right connections etc.

cheers

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Currently got sky at my house.

Thinking of getting multiroom installed, but taking the box/card to my mums, would this work?

I've heard/read conflicting info.

The house has got all the right connections etc.

cheers

All multi room boxes are supposed to be connected to the phone line. That's how they know that it's in the same property apparently.

Having said that I had a multi room box in my last house that wasn't connected to the phone line for about a year. It worked fine and I never heard from sky.

SQ5
Hit and miss, customer of ours had 4 boxes in a rack.

Modem had broken in one so not on the phone line, all of a sudden got a bill through for 2 years worth of a full sky subscription. Spent ages getting sky out to find out it was in fact a box fault. He ended up with a free terabyte box when they first come out to apologise.

Audi A3
Cheers for the reply Ron.

My understanding is that the phone line is for downloads and on demand services.

SQ5
Cheers for the reply Ron.

My understanding is that the phone line is for downloads and on demand services.

Wrong, that's your Ethernet.

Phone line is for ordering box office and every now and then at night you'll have a cal, back to check its connected.

Not really.

I've done it for the past year, if Sky do a callback and don't get a reply from your box they will charge you a full subscription for that box.

Just take the box home every few months and force a call back. If you get caught out by sky then take the box home, force a call back then phone cs and say you were decorating and the box was unplugged.

It really is that easy....

Audi A3
How do you know when they're doing a callback?

And how do you force one through?

What about in my house where there isnt a phone line in my bedroom and i'd put a box in there, how couldnt they do one then anyway?

SQ5
Sky won't install in a house without having a telephone line so they would know.

For the sake of £30 over £12 a month and the hassle of having to unplug and take box home its not worth it really is it?

How do you know when they're doing a callback?

And how do you force one through?

What about in my house where there isnt a phone line in my bedroom and i'd put a box in there, how couldnt they do one then anyway?

They're random. could be 1 week could be 6 months. And you force one through the engineer menu. Takes 30 seconds to do.

For the sake of £30 over £12 a month and the hassle of having to unplug and take box home its not worth it really is it?

It is when you don't pay for it in the first place ;).

I done it as we had the full package at home. So wouldn't have just been £30 a month....more like 50 after HD etc are added. Defo worth a random call back now and then.

Focus ST-3
Do they actually charge you a full subscription though? or just cancel all services running to that box?

We went through a stage of never using our multi room in our bedroom when we moved last year, as we had no TV up there. We left the box powered off until we got a TV. When we turned it on we had no channels except the free stuff you would get on freeview. I rang them up and then it all came back after 15 minutes. Seemed like they couldn't verify where the box or card was so just disabled it. They didn't once contact us though.

Sky won't install in a house without having a telephone line so they would know.

My skybox was fitted with no phoneline 2 months ago. Only just had a line fitted

Audi S1
I've been with Sky 4-5 years and I've only once had my Sky box connected to the phone line. I have 3 boxes as well and moved 3 times. Never had any problems, if I do I'd just cancel it but then again I doubt they would want to lose £90pm lol

The original box doesn't (or didn't) need to be connected to the phone line after 12 months. If you get multiroom - take the original box away and leave the second one plugged in, that used to be the one they checked for. It may be different now as it's 3 years since I had it.