ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Servicing advise... shall i do cam belt?

Clio Sport xxx
ok i have a 53 plate (reg. Nov 03) FF 172, so its coming upto 4 years old. Its done 41K miles, and within the next month its going into Rentech for its 4th service (first since i've owned it). So why the advise? i hear say... surely its just a matter of getting the 48K mile service (the basic service) done.

well when i looked back in the service history, i didnt find any record of the auxillary belt being done. So its booked in to have the 36K mile service done, and the guy said do you want the auxillary tensioner kit fitted at the same time for an extra £50? first question.... is it worth getting this tensioner done aswell??

Second question.... i understand the cam belt needs replacing at 72K miles or every 5 years, would there be any risk of me leaving that till next years service?? (i.e. have they been known to snap before the recommended replacement time??)

Cheers in advance:)

Mountune Tractor
Yeah they have been known to snap early mate, if you can afford it...do it. To be safe I would do the aux belt as well, if any belt snaps on the clio then your looking at ££££££££££££££

RB 200 Cup!
ive got the exact age clio - having aux belt done next month so gonna get cam belt done same time

Clio Sport xxx
ok thanks guys. When the car goes in i'll ask them to check the cam belt, and get them to let me know if they see anything to be worried about

BMW E46 330i Touring
It's easier to get them all done. Cambelt slightly early but if you have no concerns about the cost of having it done then go for it - won't do any harm and will certainly prevent the risk of it going snap early.

Clio Sport xxx
Well im getting cams put in, hopefully shortly after new year, so if i wait untill then, i suppose the labour to do it at the same time will be hardly anything / nothing, would i be right in assuming this?

Well im getting cams put in, hopefully shortly after new year, so if i wait untill then, i suppose the labour to do it at the same time will be hardly anything / nothing, would i be right in assuming this?

Yep not much extra to fit cams when cambelts being done. Cambvelts got to be chnaged to do cams so migh as well kill both at once.